Tilapia fish farming in DR?

R

Ronald Heyne

Hi,

I just found some very interesting information about Tilapia fish farming. It seems to be a very good way of producing valuable food at low cost in poor countries.
Obviously there are some projects going on in Haiti, but does anybody know about anything in the DR?

Bye

Ronald

D

DeanO

Yes, around Sosua on the north coast, it is a fish farm raising Tilapia, cant recall the name but I visit the farm in 1998, will dig more for the correct address, if you are interested to contact them. Did you ever try Tilapia? Is delicious.
Regards,
DeanO

R

Ronald Heyne

DeanO,

I would very much like to know where it is. I will be on the north coast again in six weeks.

I did not try it, but I?m trying to find out where to buy.

I was very excited when I read the article yesterday, however only until I came to the part where they tell about the output: 1-4 metric tons per hectar per year. If you calculate at 20 RD$/kg it would be 20000 to 80000 RD$/year. But one hectar would mean about 100 fish ponds of 100 sqm :-( If these numbers are correct it will never cover the costs, even if you own the land.

Bye

Ronald

H

hillbilly

The Dept of Agriculture has been

playing with this for decades. The Superior Agricultural Institute (ISA) has also done studies and so has CENDA.
What they have done is to see if Green Algae will do the trick at to feeding.
All the lakes created by our dams have been stocked with Tilapia.
You can buy them on the highway to Santo Domingo as you get to Bonao...

Near Sosua there is also a Shrimp farm, if memory serves...

HB

C

ciberstew

Re: The Dept of Agriculture has been

Having knolege of fish and enviorment the goverment has made a bad choice with this one it will eat anything. Very quickly eliminating all native species including crabs. If this is the only fish they want in fresh water keep it up soon that is all they will have. Check the discription of this fish and it's feeding habits.

R

Ronald Heyne

Re: The Dept of Agriculture has been

Placing the fish in open fresh water without control can?t be the correct way. However, what I have read Tilapia is quite sensitive against other fish.

Bye

Ronald