Inexpensive hotels in Santiago?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
After staying in hotel Platino many times, we switched to Century Plaza. Their lobby is nice, they offer free breakfast, a 'trago de bienvenida', plus free internet. We've stayed there at least a dozen times. Except for the A/Cs that constantly freeze, we can't complain. The rooms are more or less like the ones in Platino, nothing spectacular.

Now we'd like to go somewhere a little less expensive but comparable to Century Plaza. Any suggestions are appreciated. We have a car so transportation is not an issue.

I've read lots about Hotel Jardines, so that may be an option. I've also seen many posts on Hotel Colonial. An included breakfast is a big plus.

Any help is appreciated.

May 12, 2005
After staying in hotel Platino many times, we switched to Century Plaza. Their lobby is nice, they offer free breakfast, a 'trago de bienvenida', plus free internet. We've stayed there at least a dozen times. Except for the A/Cs that constantly freeze, we can't complain. The rooms are more or less like the ones in Platino, nothing spectacular.

Now we'd like to go somewhere a little less expensive but comparable to Century Plaza. Any suggestions are appreciated. We have a car so transportation is not an issue.

I've read lots about Hotel Jardines, so that may be an option. I've also seen many posts on Hotel Colonial. An included breakfast is a big plus.

Any help is appreciated.

The Jardines is comprable price wise to both the Platino and Century Plaza. The Colonial is a little more inexpensive, just stay in the new part. Not sure about breakfast at the Colonial. Also the the street where the Colonial is, is borderline sketchy.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
The colonial is the cheapest way to go, but like frank said stay at the new building only..The neighborhood is not the best, or the worst.. How about the matum? I know many people have bashed it but they have cleaned it up and it is in the best location in Santiago, walking distance to the monument.My friend was there last week and paid around $60 a night.

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Personally I prefer the Aloha Sol on calle Del Sol. It is central and close to all the action. I have stayed at the Century Plaza only once and quite liked it but I think the Aloha Sol is it little cheaper, about $60 and up and includes a decent and ample breakfast buffet. I have always enjoyed staying there, the rooms are nice and the staff are very helpful and professional.

ctp1812

Jan 19, 2009
I was in Santiago in September, stayed for 5 days at the Aloha sol, I paid 44 dollars a night, very clean and nice room, a/c was wonderful, very good staff, very safe area, they have good parking and breakfast was included, free internet, it was 2 minutes drive to monument and not far from anything else. During the day the streets are filled with great looking women going to work or school or what ever the deal was. I think you would have a hard time finding a better place. Note- I worked the manager down from 50 dollars to 44 dollars.

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008
I was in Santiago in September, stayed for 5 days at the Aloha sol, I paid 44 dollars a night, very clean and nice room, a/c was wonderful, very good staff, very safe area, they have good parking and breakfast was included, free internet, it was 2 minutes drive to monument and not far from anything else. During the day the streets are filled with great looking women going to work or school or what ever the deal was. I think you would have a hard time finding a better place. Note- I worked the manager down from 50 dollars to 44 dollars.

i agree with you..from all the hotels named above Aloha is the best

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont know about Colonial on CuCurillo St. Its sort of a seedy area. I wouldnt speculate that something bad would happen to you but I d think thats not a place where you could just people watch or move as you please. And in another respect I wouldnt think that kind of place is the kind of place with new mattresses, if you catch my drift.
I like Aloha Sol, real central location, between Pizza Hut and McDonalds. Hotel Rotonda is a bit out there, I heard that its ok but your things may not be safe there. Matum has some nice restaurants in close proximity.
But overall I stayed in Hotel Alberto Suite on Calle Santome. It wasnt swanky, but a room with AC was 1200 pesos(~$33). Without AC the room is like 8-900 pesos(~$20).

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I stayed at the following last month:

Hotel Platino: IMO this one isn't much of a value. I paid $2350 for a big clean room with fridge but it was downstairs, had no view, and the hotel itself isn't near to anything I care about. The free car wash is a nice touch but doesnt make up for the location. OTOH, it seems to be the most 'americanized' in terms of appointments if thats what you're looking for.

Camp David: This one isn't near to anything either, but the view is to die for and the old cars are fun to look at. It has well-appointed rooms and a better restaurant. Dont use the online reservations. When I arrived they had no record of my reservation, however they had a room available which was $1800, while the online price was closer to U$80 with all the taxes.

Hotel La Rotonda Ok this place is dump, the 'good' rooms run $1000, tho I have heard they have some as cheap as $350. Mine had a separate living area with fridge and AC in the bedroom. Its a bit sleazy but they do have a guard sleeping in the lobby all night if it makes you feel better.

Cabanas Poseidon The Rotonda was full one night so I headed for a cabana. Ive 'stayed' at Blue Castle before and the executive suites are nice, but my cab driver had a coupon for Poseidon so I stayed there for $325. Now, I dont want to get into particulars, but let's just say that I will never, and I mean EVER stay there again. Surely this is the worst cabana in the city.

Bottom line for me is this that in the $60 range, the best bet is Aloha Sol if you need to be in town, Camp David if you want to be away from it all. Below that price point, there just arent that many good options in Santiago. You're better off with a nice cabana than the rotonda and some of the other (apparently nameless) hotels Ive seen downtown.

Chris

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Oh man I was hoping someone would say they have stayed at Hotel Los Jardines and that they liked it. So far location wise and from some info I've gathered this looked like the best choice Hotel Los Jardines, Rep?blica Dominicana

My husband & I will be seeking a hotel in Santiago (close to my mom who lives in Camboya) for 2-3 nights in Feb 2010. Our #1 priority is a place that won't steal our stuff, no bugs, clean linens and not a hooker hotel.
I could care less about a/c as I suppose I won't need it in February??
I've been calling my mom recently and her & my brothers don't knows anything ... she said she sees commercials about 2 new apart-hotels in Santiago but then can't remember the freaking name or spell it. Jeez like how hard is that to remember a simple name? I'm not thrilled about my visit to Santiago my family there is stressful.
Any advice?

Also if I want to go to Samana from Santiago ...what is the best way to get there?
I read on some other threads that Caribe Tour doesn't have a route there or back.

May 12, 2005
Oh man I was hoping someone would say they have stayed at Hotel Los Jardines and that they liked it. So far location wise and from some info I've gathered this looked like the best choice Hotel Los Jardines, Rep?blica Dominicana

My husband & I will be seeking a hotel in Santiago (close to my mom who lives in Camboya) for 2-3 nights in Feb 2010. Our #1 priority is a place that won't steal our stuff, no bugs, clean linens and not a hooker hotel.
I could care less about a/c as I suppose I won't need it in February??
I've been calling my mom recently and her & my brothers don't knows anything ... she said she sees commercials about 2 new apart-hotels in Santiago but then can't remember the freaking name or spell it. Jeez like how hard is that to remember a simple name? I'm not thrilled about my visit to Santiago my family there is stressful.
Any advice?

Also if I want to go to Samana from Santiago ...what is the best way to get there?
I read on some other threads that Caribe Tour doesn't have a route there or back.

I have stayed at that hotel. You will find it clean and comfortable with a friendly staff.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And Saman? is a piece of cake from Santiago. There are at least 6 buses a day that make the trip. You can PM me if you want.

Depending on just when you are coming, I "might" have something, as Frank the Tank knows.

HB

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Colonial

I have stayed at the Colonial and the Aloha Sol in last six months. The Aloha Sol was better location and looked nicer. But my first room had no internert reception and in the second the shower leaked all over the floor every time. The breakfast at Aloha Sol is better than the Colonial. But the Colonial has clean sheets, a safe, and warm water. If that is your only requirement then the new section at the Colonial for about half the price. Also, I left a backpack in the room when I checked out of the Colonial. The backpack had many items in it like a battery charger, small MP3 player ect. I realized it the day after I checked out and was already in POP. Called the hotel and spoke to the owner's son. He told me an employee had found it and turned it in to him. He would hold it for me until I was back in Santiago five days later. When I got back he returned the backpack to me complete with all contents. Imagine that.

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
DavidZ - my name is Joana and my screename is LaJoa - not Lajoya ahahahah but I laughed so much when I saw that because I could kind of see where that came from hehehehe
Rbh44 - Hmmm good to know that the Colonial has a safe (and I keep reading - stay at the newer section) - good to know.
DavidZ and Frank the Tank - does Los Jardines have a safe? I don't care much about breakfast either as I only need to drink a large cup of coffee in the morning & chew on some bread I'm good hehehe
Hillbilly I will be PM you so you can decode your message.

Los Jardines is close to Gran Almirante which means it is close to TGIFriday's right?
I would like to go to Friday's to have some mixed drinks & get away from the barrio.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PM means Private Message, so we can talk privately. I too would recommend the Colonial but it is not as convenient to the Gran Almirante or TGIF. I was going to see if your dates (2 nights) would coincide with some availability that I might be able to help you with. That/s all.

HB

Jacobb

Jul 30, 2005
I have stayed at the Hotel La Rotonda. It wasn't the greatest place on earth. I would compare it more to a hostel. But it wasn't a bad place to be either. It had hot water, Air conditioning, Closed parking area. I didn't leave anything in the room when I went out except clothes but for a couple nights stay it was just fine. It all depends on the experience you want. I was there for a couple of days and was just looking for a place to crash at night and during the day I was out so it was just fine for me.

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Hello all coming back to post info after my trip. My husband & I did enjoy the breakfast and the stay at Hotel Los Jardines (3 nights). The room had a safe (worked with a key b/c the digital keypad didn't work) and all was clean and nice. Our stuff was safe & nothing went missing. Very clean, no bugs. The AC was so strong no insect can possibly live in there. My husband got to see 2 rooms - the most expensive and their cheapest. He said the most expensive one was bigger, had a couch and a flat panel TV ... that was the only diff. Oh and the cheap one we took (with a 36 peso to the dollar exchange rate turns out to be about $55/night including tax) had a TV just a big bulky one mounted up on a corner and had tons of channels and that was good enough for what little time we spent there. We opted for a room with no windows and I'm glad we did b/c the traffic in the morning is insane noisy - we could hear it even with no windows. The AC in the room made it frigid and I tried moving the thermostat but that didn't work. The AC was not remote controlled but was no biggie to just get up to turn it off when it got too cold. My favorite were the juices at breakfast. We didn't have drinks on the terrace but we did go up 1 morning after breakfast to check it out & the view. A short & safe walk to TGIFriday's and that was nice for my husband as he puts it was the nicest thing about Santiago because he hated the entire time we were there. Mostly the bad barrio my mom lives in - he didn't hate it everywhere. The weather was nice & cool in the evenings which I loved. I'm so glad we went in Feb vs June/July/Aug.
The last night we were there we went to El Monumento and on the way back the cab took this route and we saw several trendy looking bars .... had we stayed longer & taken dressier clothes I would have wanted to check them out but I didn't even get to see the names of any of them.
--Joana

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Too bad you didn't let me know, there are MUCH better restaurants closer to thehotel. TGIF is just junk food with decorations...

But glad you had a good visit...

HB