Nanny

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Just curious about something ...

I recently read a post about a family having a nanny. Would that be another hopeful dream for a Canadian citizen? I'm sure it depends on the family ... but just a question I thought I'd ask :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You could not live on what most Nannys earn...just a fact of life...

Now, if you were to advertize in one of the papers, maybe one of the really rich families in Santo Domingo or Santiago or elsewhere could offer you a job to pamper their kids...don't know...but you just might hook up...

HB

Sep 22, 2009
You could not live on what most Nannys earn...just a fact of life...

Now, if you were to advertize in one of the papers, maybe one of the really rich families in Santo Domingo or Santiago or elsewhere could offer you a job to pamper their kids...don't know...but you just might hook up...

HB

You know, if you were 100% fluent, culturally assimilated and perhaps a college degree, that just may be the next trend among SD's elite.

One of my clients hasn't hired a replacement nanny in 2 years for lack of confidence.

"Oh yeah Jose, our nanny has a BS in economics from Stanford, whereas your nanny went to a state university... imaginese."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know that some expat families will pay over the going rate to have an English-speaking nanny but it's still in the peanuts range. ~US$300 a month, maybe a little more.

Some of my expat friends in SD had English-speaking nannies - e.g. Dominicans who had lived in the US, and in one case an older lady from Saman? who spoke really good English. There are also French expat families I've met with educated Haitian nannies who speak French to their kids. (Most Haitians in the DR, especially the ones working as maids and nannies, only speak Kreyol.)

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Well I have an Italian friend who would be prepared to pay depending on your competence up to 800 month for a foreign nany who speaks perfect english.
All your living expenses would be covered. Unfortunately, the baby is not due until May.
But if you are interested P.M. me with your CV and I will pass it on...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
so what is the rate for a nanny?

Say here in SD.. I have friend who has two kids, one 5 and one 3, and wants to go from a live in to a five day a weeks... from early morning, get the kids up, get them to school, make lunch, light cleaning, pick them up and play, then leave by 5 ... say 8 to 5 five days and some Saturday AMs.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
interesting

This is all very interesting to me!
I appreciate all the comments.

I'm trying the DR out for 3 months, seeing how it is, and then I'll see where it leads me! I thought 3 months is a good start

Is it common for a Canadian/Foriegner to be hired as a nanny?

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
From my experiences here, most of the nannies are young, uneducated Dominican women. A good nanny seems to be quite hard to come by...but then again, as was mentioned before, a common salary for a nanny ranges between $6,000 - 8,000 pesos (between $200 -300 dollars) depending on whether or not it's a live-in or day job type of set up. This salary is obviously low for an educated American/Canadian.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Yes it's definitely a lower salary than what I am used to here in Canada. But, when looking for a job in the DR I know better then to expect lots of $. It's not the money i would be after, but the experience. And why not do something I love while gaining knowledge about a county i love!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
working for peanuts

Yes it's definitely a lower salary than what I am used to here in Canada. But, when looking for a job in the DR I know better then to expect lots of $. It's not the money i would be after, but the experience. And why not do something I love while gaining knowledge about a county i love!

I have a job opening with a doctor here in the Capital.. for 8000 pesos... not live in.. You would be expected to do all the cleaning, including the ironing, and make two meals a day, arrive at 7, leave at 5 take the young daughter to school, pick her up afterwards.. And, no, transport would not be included.

Now I know that you are not going to take this one, because really, the odds are that a Canadian here would NOT be able to clean a house here as well as a Dominican...

So I am going to refer it to the sister of my blessed Rosaria, who will be coming down from Jimani, and will live with Rosaria, and will be extremely grateful for this wage

Which is, indeed, as much as some secretaries... even BILINGUAL ones... make...

just so you have an idea...

Your only shot is to post with Carol Morgan or a similar high end school in Santiago which are part of the uber rich and would welcome a native English speaker. If you had room and board, the 8000 pesos would do you.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Thanks mountainannie

Lots to agree with! :)

I have looked into the Carol Morgan School, so I assume I'm on the right track and should stay doing what I'm doing for now!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
chelley - lot's of young people become "au pairs" right after college. even in developed nations, the pay for an au pair is sad. but if what you're looking for is an experience, i'd say go for it! just make sure you get with a family who doesn't just want a slave and make sure that your hours and services are clarified before you even start.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
when i was in college, there were lots of people coming in and talking about au pair jobs. it sounds really awesome, i just never had the opportunity before now!

taking a nice break soon from the winter here so ill sort out my options soon :)