Canadian Exchange

R

rick

I know this is the opposite exchange to the question you asked but I just purchased DR money in Canada for 11 3/4 cents per peso. Got 850 pesos for $100.00 Canadian

C

Cindy

Pls Explain DR Currency/Denominations

Rick: When you purchased your DR money what denominations were available? Wondering if we should buy some here before we go (for tipping etc) or but them down there when we arrive?

What would you recommend as reasonable denominations to purchase for tipping etc or would we be better off with US dollars? I guess they wouldn't appreciate Cdn. money especially loonies or toonies?

Any info would be appreciated.

C

Charlie

Re: Pls Explain DR Currency/Denominations

The DR banks will not exchange loonies ot twoonies. I have had Dominicans offer them to me in exchange for pesos because they are useless to them. A good tip would either be American dollars or DR Pesos. I am Canadian and take my money in Canadian travellers cheques and have a little American with me for leaving the airport at the end of my stay. The restaurants take American at the airport the easiest but will exchange CDN and take pesos if you have some left. I always bring home enough DR Pesos to get me by taxi from the airport to where I am staying the next time down. You should get a better rate down there than in Canada. I haven't been down since Aug. and I got 960 pesos for $100 CDN at the time. I would like to hear from others what they got at the Dorado Shopping Centre banks for exchange on $100 CDN. A good tip might be 50 pesos ($5)if they carry your bags for you.

N

Norman

Bring US$ or US$ travellers cheques, otherwise you will be penalized about 10%. Same applies to major European currencies. It is illegal to bring dominican pesos into the country or take them out. For tips at the airport, bring US 1$ bills. One Canadian dollar, if converted first to US dollars is worth about 10 Dominican pesos. One Canadian dollar, if converted directly is worth about 9 Dominican pesos.

Norman

J

Jodi

Hi...I was just in Boca Chica last week...the exchange at Western Union was 9.3 for Canadian dollars (i.e. $100 CDN = 930 pesos) That should be standard for Western Union outlets all over the island. I didn't notice what the exchange was for US dollars because I never take any down other than $10 US for the departure tax at the airport. There is a currency exchange at the Las Americas airport (Santo Domingo)....there are so many Canadians travelling to the D.R. that it's usually pretty easy to find a taxi driver who will take Canadian money if you haven't had a chance to get pesos. Leave the loonies & toonies at home though...they can't exchange them.

L

Lynn

Can someone who has recently been to POP, tell me what the Canadian exchange rates were?...Thx.

M

Mike

In Sosua last week $1 Can. was anything from 9.5 to 10 pesos. Best place is Eduardo's, next door(left) to Oasis supermarket. Just take Canadian dollars (some in travel cheques,if you wish), except $10 U.S. for airport tax. Tip in pesos.

J

Jack

Best place to exchange Can $ near Hacienda?

I emailed the Hacienda resort recently and they will only give 8 pesos per Canadian dollar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a near by place with a better rate?

C

Charlie

Re: Best place to exchange Can $ near Hacienda?

Take a taxi into Puerto Plata. Staying at the Haciendas there isn't too much you would need cash for. The shops take visa at the resort.

D

debs

Re: Best place to exchange Can $ near Hacienda?

we are travelling from scotland to hacienda resorts end of febuary. could anyone tell us if we would get a better exchange rate changing our money into USA$ before we go and what the current rate is. thanks debs.