Australian synthetic endurance saddle...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Would anyone please know where I might buy an Australian synthetic endurance saddle or similar here in the DR? Would anyone have a good second-hand one for sale, preferably 16" with horn?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not being a horse person I was about to congratulate Mr. WB on his quite remarkable improvement healthwise........:cheeky:. Seriously, if you're coming into PP there's a saddle place in a parade of shops almost opposite Deposito Ferreteria on the main road from Playa Dorada to PP, same parade which has a Western Union office. And the owner lived in the US for a long time so has good English. It's an all purpose pet products store but last time I was there seemed to have quite a few saddles. He'd probably know where to get one if he didn't have it.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Not being a horse person I was about to congratulate Mr. WB on his quite remarkable improvement healthwise........:cheeky:. Seriously, if you're coming into PP there's a saddle place in a parade of shops almost opposite Deposito Ferreteria on the main road from Playa Dorada to PP, same parade which has a Western Union office. And the owner lived in the US for a long time so has good English. It's an all purpose pet products store but last time I was there seemed to have quite a few saddles. He'd probably know where to get one if he didn't have it.

Thank you for your helpful and, as always, knowledgeable advice. I have called into that store some time ago and was not then in the need for this type of saddle but noticed they only seem to stock the large heavy Western (US) saddles. However, I will call in when next in Puerto Plata and ask. I have found a couple of suppliers in the US but have been quoted prohibitive shipping costs from them to the DR.

Am looking for a synthetic one primarily as they are very light weight which I think is preferable for the now healed back of my rescue horse, Coco. The synthetic material is also far less maintenance than a traditional leather one, especially in this climate.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Is this what your looking for? they say to call for shipping. but would think this could be done with dhl. FedEx the weight is size is not that big. 17 lb saddle is really light. I'm used to Western stock saddles with double girth.

Microfibre Aussie Endurance
Shipping & Handling
Synthetic Australian Saddles | Aussie Horse Saddle | Australian Stock Saddle - Kate's Saddle Supply

Yes, that is exactly what I want and one company quoted me $350 and another $385 so am trying to find a more economical option at the moment.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
High

Yes, that is exactly what I want and one company quoted me $350 and another $385 so am trying to find a more economical option at the moment.

Would think if they (DHL or Fedex ) picked it up there or they boxed and delivered to (DHL or Fedex ) would be more along the like of 200 or less heck the other was the price of the saddle.

Know anybody coming down that could bring as checked baggage?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Not coming in somebody but some one from Europe will ship me some goods pretty soon. They are Western Riders so they know this type of saddle also.
I could ask if they can make a price for buying and shipping too if you want whirleybird?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Not coming in somebody but some one from Europe will ship me some goods pretty soon. They are Western Riders so they know this type of saddle also.
I could ask if they can make a price for buying and shipping too if you want whirleybird?

That is very kind of you but, unfortunately, the saddle costs are very high from the UK and Europe in comparison to the US - just the shipping cost from the US seems to be prohibitive....

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
If I remember correctly, you can send goods from EPS from Florida, for 3$ per pound to Santiago... so 17 pounds, would mean 51 $...

maybe this could help...?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If I remember correctly, you can send goods from EPS from Florida, for 3$ per pound to Santiago... so 17 pounds, would mean 51 $...

maybe this could help...?
Closer to $4.35 a pound. My bad...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Still a whole lot cheaper than the amounts mentioned before... euhmm... who is writing this... what is this all about???... who am I.... lol...

must be something in the Jarabacoa air doing this to us... or are we just getting old????

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The only thing you have to be careful with when using EPS or Business Mail is that they charge not only on weight, but also by size of the box. When they use volumetric pricing, the costs are always higher. Found that out the hard way several years ago!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If shipping in is too expensive, whirley, why not call a few of the stables which do horse riding tours for tourists, in case they have something already here which they're prepared to sell? Some stables also look after the horses of part-time residents or residents who have left, they might have left their tack behind them too. I'm sure Lorilar's number will be in the tourist forums (north coast) and there are doubtless other stables too.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Every now and then, I've been thinking about getting a saddle and maybe a horse again. I looked at the stuff they sell here, it's worthless. I am sure that somewhere some OK or even good saddles would be available... after all, there is a small group of rich hacendados who try to recreate a paso fino culture... but I haven't seen them yet and have a funny feeling anyway, they will be so overpriced I would regret having wasted my time finding them.

IF you know the size you need (there is online info available on how to estimate it) I'd suggest you find one on e-bay (US) and have it shipped from MIA with Vimenpac (Vimenca Solsua) for around USD 3.00/Lbs.

... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Every now and then, I've been thinking about getting a saddle and maybe a horse again. I looked at the stuff they sell here, it's worthless. I am sure that somewhere some OK or even good saddles would be available... after all, there is a small group of rich hacendados who try to recreate a paso fino culture... but I haven't seen them yet and have a funny feeling anyway, they will be so overpriced I would regret having wasted my time finding them.

IF you know the size you need (there is online info available on how to estimate it) I'd suggest you find one on e-bay (US) and have it shipped from MIA with Vimenpac (Vimenca Solsua) for around USD 3.00/Lbs.

... J-D.
The paso fino culture is alive and well here in the mountains. There are National shows a couple of times a year.

I have friends who have horses-and championship bulls-who sell horses.