Homemade Mosquito Trap

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Alida found this little nugget:

Por fin ella pod?a ver las monta?as...

Seems a Dominican made a homemade mosquito trap.

Anybody ever try this? Or wants to? Soda bottle, water, brown sugar, yeast and black construction paper.

We don't have a mosquito problem up here. Maybe somebody who does can give this a try.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Alida found this little nugget:

Por fin ella pod?a ver las monta?as...

Seems a Dominican made a homemade mosquito trap.

Anybody ever try this? Or wants to? Soda bottle, water, brown sugar, yeast and black construction paper.

We don't have a mosquito problem up here. Maybe somebody who does can give this a try.

You couldn't have posted this at a better time. Every night those little buggers fall in love with my feet while I sleep. I hate wearing socks to bed everynight and even place a fan at the end of the bed so as they can't land.
I am going to make several today. I'll let you know how effective they are. Good post.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Please, no barbs over my down and dirty translation here. I have also tried to clean up the instructions:

(also one thought - look out for ants climbing into your trap - why trade one problem for another?)

Home trap for mosquitos

With the problematic and growing number of deaths caused by mosquitos transmitting classic and hemorraghic dengue, I have come up with this small trap to assist with the continuing fight.

Supplies:

200 ml of water
50 g of brown sugar (azucar moreno)
1 gram of yeast
One 2 liter plastic bottle
2 sheets of black paper

Steps to follow

1) Cut the plastic bottle just above the label (don?t throw the top piece away)

2) Mix the brown sugar with hot water, and when dissolved, cool the mixture in the refrigerator.

3) Add the yeast, which will release carbon dioxide to attract mosquitos.

4) Invert and place the cut portion from Step 1 into the bottom portion to form a funnel

5) Cover the outsides of the bottle with black paper (don't cover the top funnel portion of the trap) and place the trap in a corner of one room in your house.

6) You will see reduced quantities of mosquitos within two weeks.