Se jodio lo de Codetel - again!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My internet is going out ever few minutes or less for around less than a minute and the odd thing is my modem is showing that it is not losing it's connection. It must be a system outage or somthing because I can't get a technician on the phone. Anybody heard anything?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
same here, and it also is difficult to connect sometimes...get the message "remote computer is not responding"

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just got in touch with Codetel and they told me it must be my computer because they couldn't find anything on their end and because the light on the modem doesn't go out. I'm running a virus scan just in case but I'm skeptical to say the least given their track record.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Been happening for two days.

We reported it yesterday and today.

We have been told they know it's a problem all over, and they are working on it.

It goes in and out, 30 seconds nat a time. Frustrating...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Codetel is the biggest piece of $HIT and I have lost more money with 15-30 second disconnects than I care to talk about.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Redundancy people, redundancy, if your business depends on the Internet don't rely only on Codetel, get a load balancing hardware and order Tricom or Viva or Wind Telecom. As slow or bad that those other products can be, you have to be very unlucky for it to fail at the same time Codetel does. Even those that use Codetel as backbone can have more reliability because of their higher ranked accounts in Codetel warrants them better service/support.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We had the same in Puerto Plata for the last couple of days - in and out. Then today they got decisive :cheeky: internet went out completely for 3 hours. It went out when town power went off and resumed 3 hours later when town power came back. We have an inverter so it shouldn't be to do with the power but.............??

And since it resumed, it has gone intermittent again twice. But intermittent is better than no internet at all.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Redundancy people, redundancy, if your business depends on the Internet don't rely only on Codetel, get a load balancing hardware and order Tricom or Viva or Wind Telecom. As slow or bad that those other products can be, you have to be very unlucky for it to fail at the same time Codetel does. Even those that use Codetel as backbone can have more reliability because of their higher ranked accounts in Codetel warrants them better service/support.

No offense dude, but do you have your own business? Theory is nice but profitability is what keeps you in business, ie paying another US100 a month for another bs service will only have one flipping hamburgers in no time.

Codetel has no excuse because they have super low overhead compared to other companies in developed countries, yet somehow they give one third of the service at twice the price. Y que es eso!!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
In SD where I am, its a cable modem and for 2 days the connection is on/off every few minutes. In my office (codetel) it went out only a couple of times today but it could be my modem as all LEDs went out and then came back on.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
I have noticed this afternoon the modem in my office going on and off... I was practically unable to get connection for about 10 minutes.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
No offense dude, but do you have your own business? Theory is nice but profitability is what keeps you in business, ie paying another US100 a month for another bs service will only have one flipping hamburgers in no time.

Codetel has no excuse because they have super low overhead compared to other companies in developed countries, yet somehow they give one third of the service at twice the price. Y que es eso!!!!

You may have lost 50,000 grand in a contract that weren't because your telecommunication services sucked and you are thinking about 100 a month???, get the lowest Tricom plan, only enough to be able to run VOIP on it. In the DR there are entrepeneurs who manage Millions of Dollars in the US or somewhere else, and they do that through VOIP service talking to the US. Imagine if you were talking to the CEO of a huge company, almost on the brink of a deal, and Codetel start acting up for 12 hours. The confidence that CEO may had on you will fade based in that you cannot even handle a simple phone call.

But keep whining about Codetel, maybe your customers will understand you.

I just tried to help.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I only have three choices, and all with Codetel: dial up :)cheeky:), DSL or banda ancha.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

the man has got the plan. And its not going to get better, The mexicans are not known for providing service. But they do make money

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You may have lost 50,000 grand

No. Also, I don't tell my clients I'm here in the DR for one, and if I told them that I was in a country where they don't have decent phone nor power service they would probably look elsewhere as they would be worried if they couldn't contact me or if I could even get the work done.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Then you choice would be banda Ancha as it uses the Cel network not the wireline
And banda ancha...at least here...sucks. Much worse and more schizo.

But at least with the current problems Codedtel admits to owning the problem. Ususlly they just blame my machine which is baloney.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You may have lost 50,000 grand in a contract that weren't because your telecommunication services sucked and you are thinking about 100 a month???, get the lowest Tricom plan, only enough to be able to run VOIP on it.

Having Tricom as a backup still won't prevent a dropped call. Also, if I call the client's back on the Tricom phone and they make note of the number, now I will have them returning my calls on that phone and then I'll be dealing with it's $hitty quality too.

Feb 7, 2007
Having Tricom as a backup still won't prevent a dropped call. Also, if I call the client's back on the Tricom phone and they make note of the number, now I will have them returning my calls on that phone and then I'll be dealing with it's $hitty quality too.

Chip, what ExtremeR meant was to have the cheapest Tricom Internet service, to be able to run VOIP (Skype, Lingo, Vonage, etc.) over it. You would just change your "routing" instead of a physical way of "making" the call...

I do not have backup, because there are no backup options here... same as Cobraboy... it's only Codetel.

Fortunately I have clients domestically (in the DR) so they "understand" ...

Another way for you would be to get a US based phone card, where your US-based number would be your access code. Then, dial via Codetel/Tricom/Orange into the US access number and enter your access code. Most likely, the caller-ID would display your access code (your US number) on the called party's phone.