Unrelated Questions: Gym and Rum

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
I have two unrelated questions, but i thought it would be stupid to open up two threats.
the first one is the following:
i am staying in santo domingo until the end of december, therefore it makes no sense for me to get a gym subscription, as the inscription fees are somewhere around 6000 to 9000 pesos, thats a lot of money for one and a half month. since i am living in walking distance of the malecon center, i wondered if it is possible to use the gym's and pools of the nearby hotels if you are not staying there. if it is possible, how much would it cost?

the second question is if someone can tell me where in santo domingo i can buy rhum barbancourt? i have seen it once in supermercado alba in la vega, but nowhere else. here in the capital, it seems like you are limited to the standard assortment of dominican rums. i'd also would like to know if brugal siglo de oro is still available, and if so, how much it would cost.
i'd apreciate it if somebody could give me some informations.
thanks in advance.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Gym and Pool

When I am in Santo Domingo I sign up for use of the gym and pool at the Melia Hotel. The price varies according to your negotiating skills. They have a set rate chart but I have never paid what they ask. The pool is big and the gym has about 10-12 machines, treadmills and some free weights.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
When I am in Santo Domingo I sign up for use of the gym and pool at the Melia Hotel. The price varies according to your negotiating skills. They have a set rate chart but I have never paid what they ask. The pool is big and the gym has about 10-12 machines, treadmills and some free weights.

I was staying at Melia just 2 weeks ago and used the gym. Quite OK gym for it's compressed size... but much better than many hotel "gymlets".
There were people coming from "the street" to work out there too as AcMike suggested.

Melia is in between Hotel Jaragua and InterContinental and just in front of most of the hostels on and around Independencia Ave.

... J-D.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For Barbancourt rhum go over to the Haitian section of Santo Domingo...I think it is over in back of the Fire Station in front of Parque Independencia.

HB

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
shame on you, Cobraboy, for not introducing that important part of life here...

but, let's make a deal... when one of us get a hold of some... let us enjoy it together...

so it is Haitian?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've got 2 bottles of 4-year three-star here. It's a few clicks below the 8 and 15 year, but equal or better than most local rhums. One is yours next time you stop by.

Yes, Barbancourt is Haitian, most likely their finest export. 8 year is available here, but you have to search. You have to find someone who's going to a better part of Haiti to get the 15 year. the 15 is THE BEST rhum I have ever tasted. It's like a fine sipping cognac.

My favorite local rhum is Siboney red.

But, as in anything else subjective, opinions vary, all blessings.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I wil take you up on that one... and continue the search for some of that 15-year old rum... lol

barbancourt sounds very French, so... hence the reason of my guess it was Haitian

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have plenty of both...hehehe....

It is a good rhum, with more molassas taste than Dominican rum...they are all good,,,the 5 star is sipping rum the 3 star is mixing rum,,,,like most, there is a difference.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have plenty of both...hehehe....

It is a good rhum, with more molassas taste than Dominican rum...they are all good,,,the 5 star is sipping rum the 3 star is mixing rum,,,,like most, there is a difference.

HB
I have to have a friend who travels to haiti hunt for the 15 year there. Where can you find it here? In santiago?

I occasionally find the 8 year. Not common, but once in a while. I always chech when near a liquor store.

If you want some really interesting rum, find some Cruzan Blackstrap.

Pussers also makes an awesome 15 year rum.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I see this rum believe it or not at the duty free shops at airport Las Americas. If you have any friends that can sneak in and buy you a bottle or two they are pretty cheap in there. The only other place I remember seeing this rum was in la Sirena in la capital :)

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for all the answers guys.
i also found a bottle of siglo de oro and even ron zacapa in santiago in the meantime.
now all i need is to get my hands on that barbancourt.
how safe is it to walk around the haitian quarter? is it the one near the national palace? if so, that was quite scary. but maybe i had a hightened sense of danger because it was getting dark, and i was walking around with my very blond girlfriend. when alone, i tend to blend in more, as most dominicans consider me jojote or at least half dominican at first sight.