Apprenticeship in conservation science

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
We are looking for someone to take up the great opportunity of working in a new project in the Dominican Republic entitled: ?The last survivors ? saving the Hispaniolan solenodon and hutia?. The project is financed via Darwin Initiative fund and is a collaboration between Sociedad Ornitol?gica de la Hispaniola (SOH), Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust (DWCT), Zoological Society of London (ZSL) and the national zoo of the Dominican Republic (ZOODOM). The aim of the project is to carry out an ecological study of the last two surviving terrestrial endemic mammal species of Hispaniola: the solenodon (Soleneodon paradoxus) and the hutia (Plagiodontia aedium). The purpose of the project is to produce the knowledge we need in order to plan how best to conserve the species over the long term.

The job offers a lot of advantages to the right candidate and also comes with a high level of independent working and responsibility after an initial training period. The job consists of field research (made up of both interviews with a variety of people as well carrying out survey methods for both species); data analysis and report writing; awareness-raising at both national and international level using a variety of communication tools;, species action planning; and project management.

Essential requirements needed in order to be considered for the post:

Have Dominican Republic nationality or residency.
A passion for biodiversity conservation, and a willingness to spend long periods in remote field sites conducting ecological field research, sometimes at night.
A good level of experience as a biologist or ecologist. This should consist in a minimum of 2 years field experience doing ecological studies or 1 year experience in combination with a minimum of an undergraduate degree.
Driver?s license and ability to drive a 4x4 truck.
Good spoken and written communication skills ?Spanish?. Including good inter personal skills enabling you to communicate effectively with people of all types of educational and social backgrounds.
Eagerness to learn and develop a career in conservation and ecology.
Ability to manage and account for a budget.

Preferred requirements for the post are:

Able to communicate in person and writing in Spanish and English and/or Haitian creole
Experience in methods and design of scientific studies
Experience in studying mammals.
Ability and experience in using software such as Microsoft Office, statistical software and GIS

Benefits of the post
To work alongside internationally experienced and highly qualified conservation scientists on two globally threatened mammal species
Be involved right at the start of an exciting and high profile project.
A secure post that will last 2 and a half years, with a favourable salary that will depend on your experience and ability
Training and experience in field techniques, data analysis, report writing, conservation planning and project management
Three month training course in Jersey (UK) on the Durrell Endangered Species Management graduate certificate course (DESMAN) that will give you an internationally recognised qualification.

If you are interested please send your CV to: jbrocca@soh.org.do and jose.nunez-mino@durrell.org. We need to receive your CV by the 30th of November 2009.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I must admit the terms used above had me so puzzled I for a minute (the one it takes me to google stuff) wondered if it could be a joke... but in case I'd not be the only one having had the urge to scratch my scalp...:

Meet Solenodon:
800px-Hispaniola_solenodon.jpg

see: Hispaniolan Solenodon on Wikipedia

... and Hutia:
Capromys_pilorides.jpg

see: Hispaniolan Hutia on Wikipedia

Interesting! ... J-D.