DR hand shaking etiquette

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Can any body tell me how to give a correct handshake to a Dominican man as a Western woman.
I noticed they give a firm handshake, thats ok with me because I do the same (suppose thats ok?) but when they are very pleased and tell you while shaking hand and telling you that you are their friend, they tend to shake hand and put their other hand on top of it.
I do not know if I am supposed to put my other hand also on top of that then or is that considered impolite?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it could go on forever if everyone keeps putting their hand on top of the others hand lol

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I like to keep a distance- unless I know I have no money in my pockets - one new year i could feel a lady searching my pockets but I had nothing in my pockets so I let her carry on lol

Mar 2, 2008
The more hands I have in sight the better I like it.

I'm just kidding, of course, and I really don't know how a woman's "other" hand would be interpreted, but I suspect, it would be no more likely to be 'over-interpreted' than any other sign.

That is just my opinion, however, and I'm sure there are Dominicans who can give an 'official' answer reading this.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just don't tickle the man's hand with your finger while shaking hand. This could get you an invite to his apartment. Hahahaha. just kidding.

women generally give a "dead fish" hand shake to a man; meaning, they just give 4 fingers of their hand to the man. Of course the professional women in good jobs give a firm hand shake. Then men (sometimes) when shaking hand of another man would put their other hand on top to welcome the person. This is very traditional in latin culture.
AZB

P.S: Its very important to note that when you meet a dominican anywhere and if he is with other people, you must meet and greet everyone. If you won't shake everyone's hand then at least say a loud greeting to everyone.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In the higher society the woman should always extend her hand first. If she does not it means that she does not want to shake hands.

Matilda

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so.....have you been practising Miss Matilda. How fast on the draw are you ? we dont want you offending anyone

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Just don't tickle the man's hand with your finger while shaking hand. This could get you an invite to his apartment. Hahahaha. just kidding.

women generally give a "dead fish" hand shake to a man; meaning, they just give 4 fingers of their hand to the man. Of course the professional women in good jobs give a firm hand shake. Then men (sometimes) when shaking hand of another man would put their other hand on top to welcome the person. This is very traditional in latin culture.
AZB

P.S: Its very important to note that when you meet a dominican anywhere and if he is with other people, you must meet and greet everyone. If you won't shake everyone's hand then at least say a loud greeting to everyone.

Thanks for the answer AZB. I know about the "dead fish" hand shake but I do it only with Dominican women and the ones I know as friends get also a hint of a kiss then on the cheak. I really had to learn this because its not my way of shaking hands even with a woman but I am getting used to it and I tend to like it because its...well...its a womens thing I guess lol

With man and then I am speaking when I am doing business (for those who really still do not know what I am doing, I am a professional dog trainer) what my original post was also about, I give a firm handshake but more and more they begin to know me and appreciate me and there comes the second hand...and then I am a bit lost and I would like to get it right.

Hilde

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
In the higher society the woman should always extend her hand first. If she does not it means that she does not want to shake hands.

Matilda

Thanks Matilda, where I grew up its considered very rude to put out your hand as first when visiting some bodies home so my mother tought me well on that one.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Isn't extending your hand also a signal that you want to maintain a distance, as opposed to kissing the other person as a greeting?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
With man and then I am speaking when I am doing business (for those who really still do not know what I am doing, I am a professional dog trainer).

Hilde

So you are very familiar with shaking only one paw:cheeky:

Pardon my silliness it's Friday!;)

Mar 2, 2008
That's right! It's Funny Friday!!

We had some great Funny Friday sessions in the past.

It was all an extended means of shaking hands, just to stay on topic.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I also love the touch of 2 female paws... thus this make me a beast????

It is friday... so yes I'm in a silly mood...

?

? bient?t

And how do you shake the hand that shook the hand of Abraham?

Well, you hope he washed 'em.