SDQ to Samana GPS/Map

byington

Nov 2, 2009
I am renting a car and driving to Samana. I would like to know if anyone knows of an "accurate" roadmap or some GPS maps i can use to navigate. Google earth does not calculate anything in the Dominican Republic. Any help, suggestions, maps, etc. concerning this drive would be appreciated.

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Directions from SDG to Samana

I don't know about GPS, but I have pretty accurate directions on how to drive to Las Galeras from Santo Domingo on my website. SInce the drive goes right through Samana, they should be helpful. It is pretty simple. There is a large, new highway that comes from Las Americas airport to Samana.

Las Galeras Information

Catherine

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hello byington, I have made the drive from SDQ to Rio San Juan via the new highway. It is VERY easy and a beautiful scenic drive through the countryside. If you are coming from the airport [SDQ] the entrance to the new highway is literally right after you pass the toll booth on the right hand side. I have always complained that the sign is literally very small and some folks have driven by without even noticing it so I suggest you start getting into the right hand lane right after passing the toll booths so you dont miss it. The drive from start to finish of the new highway took me about an hour and 15 minutes. To get to Samana figure you can add another 45 mins to an hour or more depending on where exactly on the peninsula you are headed to. You will pay thee toll booths on the way up roughly $300RD pesos EACH WAY so be ready.
Be good and drive carefully! :)

byington

Nov 2, 2009
Thanks for your comments Jalencastro! Do you know how long Caribe Tours takes from SDQ to Samana? And a general price?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
byington, i do not know the answer because I drive myself everywhere on the island. I like to explore things and take my time stopping by new and interesting places on all my trips. I am not sure if Caribe Tours does trips to Samana? I personally have not seen a single bus on the new highway the times I did the trip....but I wouldnt know.

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Caribe Tours to Samana

Caribe Tours has 2-4 buses a day direct to Samana on the new highway. It was 4 times a day, but I just saw a recent post saying it was only 2 times. I know there is one at 8AM. Just make sure you get the bus via the new highway - carretera neuva - the other buses pass thorugh San Francisco and are much longer.

It only takes like 2.5 hours to reach the town of Samana and costs about 280 pesos/person.

Enjoy your visit.

Catherine
Casa Dorado :: Las Galeras