What price should one pay for custom made curtains?

lingoling

Oct 4, 2009
Hi, I just moved from NY to DR and am looking to get curtains custom made for my new apt. I already bought the fabric and want to know what's considered a reasonable quote for having someone custom make my curtains.

I have a huge floor to ceiling window and two 140cm by 140cm windows in the bedroom. Any advice or suggestions on how much should one expect to pay for this would be greatly appreciated. The floor to ceiling I expect to use track; the bedroom one I bought a curtain rod already. Thanks in advance for the answers.

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Here in Santiago it runs from about 350-450 pesos a panel. If you want extra details on it, you will pay more.

lingoling

Oct 4, 2009
PS: I live in Santo Domingo. If anyone knows any good seamstress for curtains pls let me know. And pls indicate whether the quote you mention would include cost of track for curtain/accessories. Thanks!

Mar 2, 2008
You're talking about $10 - $15 US a panel. What possible difference would it make if you supply the material or not?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The quoted price listed earlier is about what we paid.

Of course we supply the material and do our own installation at that price.

Don

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
Ill tell you what i was quoted by a dominican as soon as he saw my house

2* 5ft (long) * 3ft high windows
1 * floor to celing sliding door 8ft high *18ft wide

$500.00us

I said to him 'get the **** out of my house"

The look he gave me like i was the one shafting HIM .....
Oh thats right because im white and loaded i have to pay HIS way in life. **** that he can eat coconuts for all i care. You know im really tiring of this two levels of pricing BS .... you know the price for the local and one for the foreigner. End of RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lingoling

Oct 4, 2009
Rocker67, a Dominican woman quoted me the same price $500 for one floor to ceiling and two regular windows.

JD Jones, how much do you think it would cost per panel at the Isla dept store? thanks!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Ill tell you what i was quoted by a dominican as soon as he saw my house

2* 5ft (long) * 3ft high windows
1 * floor to celing sliding door 8ft high *18ft wide

$500.00us

I said to him 'get the **** out of my house"

The look he gave me like i was the one shafting HIM .....
Oh thats right because im white and loaded i have to pay HIS way in life. **** that he can eat coconuts for all i care. You know im really tiring of this two levels of pricing BS .... you know the price for the local and one for the foreigner. End of RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is not a healthy attitude while in the DR my friend.

bearcat

Nov 12, 2008
I agree with Rocker67

I got tired of the double price system one for locals and the other for outsiders a long time ago and it taught me a good lesson. When I am certain I am being had I show them out of my house or business and have nothing else to do with them.

Whatever problems this country has I did not take part in creating and did not benefit from those who did; therefore I owe you nothing. Anything I have I worked for and saved my money and if you did not you can not blame me.

We had a prototype cigar box made and got quotes for them. The quote came back $US11.40 per box from one vendor. We souraced another vendor and visited his factory( a class place) and his bid for the same box was $US4.00.

I saw the first bidder some time thereafter and informed him that I had a better offer. His response was that I can give you better prices. I told him he had his chance and no one get a second one here.

I did not make his life worse; he did, by attempting to take advantage of me.