French speaking Belgian radio station???

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Today we drove up to Santo Domingo with a friend... in order to pay a visit to a clinic of Shutzhund... (see topic weasle)... and from Bonao onwards all of a sudden we heard a french speaking radio station... we later on heard the news and apparently it was a Belgian radio station from the French speaking region (the Walloons)... anybody knows how this is possible...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only French-speaking radio station (not Belgian) I know of is the Radio France Internationale relayed from the Alliance Francaise in Santo Domingo on 90.9 FM

Feb 7, 2007
Maybe it was transmitting a syndicated programming? Something like TV5 showing news originating from French stations like France 2 etc?

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Its funny you say that, the other day in the corner of Juan Pablo Duarte and Estrella Sahala, (under the elevated road) I pick a radio station in english (American) in am.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Today we drove up to Santo Domingo with a friend... in order to pay a visit to a clinic of Shutzhund... (see topic weasle)... and from Bonao onwards all of a sudden we heard a french speaking radio station... we later on heard the news and apparently it was a Belgian radio station from the French speaking region (the Walloons)... anybody knows how this is possible...

A posibility is the Kennelly-Heaviside layer reflecting radio waves.

That's less likely during the day but strange phenomena can occur in the atmosphere. Maybe one of the French speaking islands broadcasts that station.

I doubt if a transmission from Belgium could reach Santo Trafficjam.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It was no doubt a signal from Haiti as there are numerous French speaking stations. When I'm in the States I typically can pick up radio stations from hundreds of miles away. In fact, when I was on my way home to Florida I was trying to pick up the World Series game and I got one station from Charlotte NC and another one from Ohio which were about 400 and 900 miles respectively from where I was at. To put that in perspective, the latter distance is about the same from Orlando, Fl to Santiago.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Well, I can only vouch for it being perfectly spoken French, no accent whatsoever... so not Haitian French... they were referring to the Walloon region in Belgium, but as I was trying to find my way in SD, I could not pay a whole lot of attention to it...