Finding a Book - Atlas Shrugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hey everyone. Does anyone know where, in Santo Domingo, I could get a copy of the book "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I would rather get the book locally, if possible, instead of waiting to have it shipped. If you have any ideas of where I can find this book locally, I'd appreciate the suggestions.

Mr. Lu

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I have the book...

I would give it to you, just pay shipping. I live in California. I know waiting for it was not first choice but...I'm sure somebody there has it.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Check with Cobraboy, this is right down his alley, but I doubt he wants to part with his copy.:cheeky:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. I have talked to cobra and was the one who made the suggestion to get this book, as well as other people. I will check Helen Kellog and see if I can get it local. If not, I will get it shipped, as a last resort.

Thanks,

Mr. Lu

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i would suggest The Fountainhead first to read. While they are both excellent books they basically are about the same principles and it is a much easier read and shorter than atlas shrugged. If you enjoy it as much as myself then you will want to read atlas shrugged also. happy reading.... ben

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i would suggest The Fountainhead first to read. While they are both excellent books they basically are about the same principles and it is a much easier read and shorter than atlas shrugged. If you enjoy it as much as myself then you will want to read atlas shrugged also. happy reading.... ben
I would do the opposite. There are significant differences between the philosophical precepts. Besides, TF is more a loose semi-biography of Frank Lloyd Wright (an awesome architect, BTW. A tour of his homes and buildings in Chicago is an excellent way to spend a day...)

I doubt Lu will have a difficult time reading and comprehending either.

I would add The Fountainhead to his list, definitely. I would also add Anthem by Rand. That one is a very quick read, being more of a short story.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Lu, I have it as an audio book if you want it like that.

Hey, that'd be great. Dolores, offered a copy of the book, but the audio version would also help better understand the plot.

Thanks to all for your help! Much appreciated!

Mr. Lu

Sep 22, 2009
ahh "Reardon Life" the sign read... I wish there were more AR fans out there. Looking for the Roark in all of us.

Lol. Bust seriously, Amazon.com. I order at least once/week. Amazon to CPS, EPS or MailBoxes etc. is just a GREAT system.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hey, that'd be great. Dolores, offered a copy of the book, but the audio version would also help better understand the plot.

Thanks to all for your help! Much appreciated!
Mr. Lu

I can't imagine trying to comprehend Atlas Shrugged in audiobook format. Rand's sentence structure, for me at least, often requires re-reading passages in order to absorb the content. Well worth the effort, though.

I read it while we were undergoing an attempted union organization in Miami... the timing couldn't have been better & was much needed inspiration for someone whose business would've been destroyed by those demanding more than we could ever deliver to them for the work they produced.

Once your eyes are open to it, you see the mentality everywhere, like this morning...
AP POLL: Tax the rich to pay for health bill - Yahoo! News
"You know, I mean, why not? If they have that much money, it should be taxed," said Mary Pat Rondthaler, 60, of Menlo Park, Calif. "It isn't the same way that the guy making $21,000 is."

stop the world, it's time to get off

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I can't imagine trying to comprehend Atlas Shrugged in audiobook format. Rand's sentence structure, for me at least, often requires re-reading passages in order to absorb the content. Well worth the effort, though.
I could not agree more.

Rand is a complex author. She intentionally wrote that way to "cull the intellectual herd" (her words.)

It's a tough...but incredibly influential...read.

Lu-get the book. I'll buy it for you and have it shipped if you want.

Who is John Galt?

(BTW-my ATF Hottie fiction character is the protagonist in AS.)

CFA: AS has been enormously influential in my entrepreneurship.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks...

I could not agree more.

Rand is a complex author. She intentionally wrote that way to "cull the intellectual herd" (her words.)

It's a tough...but incredibly influential...read.

Lu-get the book. I'll buy it for you and have it shipped if you want.

Who is John Galt?

(BTW-my ATF Hottie fiction character is the protagonist in AS.)

CFA: AS has been enormously influential in my entrepreneurship.

Thanks for the offer Cobra. It was upon your suggestion that I became interested in the book. I was lucky enough to get a copy from Dolores, at dr1, which I appreciate. I began reading and haven't put it down yet. I am a fast readers, but thus far this has been a slow read. It's enjoyable, but slow. Her writing style is complex, but it keeps you engaged.

I love Dagny's character. I can already see the direction, or the divide, of the story. The author is slowly painting a picture.

Anywho, I will check in with details as I read on, and hopefully you guys can give some feed back. Once again, I appreciate everyone's efforts to try and get me the book.

Who is John Galt?

Mr. Lu

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hey Mr. Lu-

you could also get your hands on this flick. If anything it sort of removes the characterization of this woman as a one-dimensional, cold-hearted capitalist pig and puts a human face on a very influential and controversial figure.

I don't know if anyone else out there peeped it (it seemed to have been some type of art-house film) but I enjoyed it very much as it presented a glimpse into her personal life that many are not aware of.

29b2hbq.jpg

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Berzin, please explain.

Not to spoil the party, but this thread is a good example of something not DR related, but none the less has been allowed.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Not to spoil the party, but this thread is a good example of something not DR related, but none the less has been allowed.

It is remotely DR related. It's about getting books, and in this case, a particular book in the DR. Options were discussed, such as the Helen Kellog Library, which I know sells good American books. Or the more complicated option of shipping.

I think it might be a good idea to have a "dr1 book share." People can post about a book they want, or want to give away, explain where they live and how to best exchange books. A great way to meet fellow dr1 members and share intellectual or non-intellectual books.

What do you guys think?

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Hey Mr. Lu-

you could also get your hands on this flick. If anything it sort of removes the characterization of this woman as a one-dimensional, cold-hearted capitalist pig and puts a human face on a very influential and controversial figure.

I don't know if anyone else out there peeped it (it seemed to have been some type of art-house film) but I enjoyed it very much as it presented a glimpse into her personal life that many are not aware of.

29b2hbq.jpg

Once I finish the book, this will be a must see. Dagny is a fascinating character and in the first few pages I can tell Rand is trying to create a schism. She is creating her action / reaction dichotomy with characters complete opposite ideals. But this is in the first pages I have read...

Mr. Lu

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

1) How to get Ayn Rand's works to the DR.

2) Requested by Mr. Lu, a Dominican living and working in the DR.

3) The efforts are supported by others who live and work in the DR who are familiar with the author, expat and native alike.

4) Any efforts related to increasing a native Dominican's/expat's understanding of the author and her works is relevant and welcome on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.