not a joke...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
i have just started to use windows 7... one minute ago this happened...

fro; belgiqn keyboqrd it qll of q sudden szitched to us keyboqrd zithout ;e doing qnyting<<<

for those less advanced in decyphering,,, my comp went from Belgian keyboard to US without me changing anything...

anyone who can tell me what is going on...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Its probably the same person who tested MS-Vista that tested Windows 7.

they obviously don't know what they're doing, because Vista is about worst piece of software I ever had my hands on.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
i have just started to use windows 7... one minute ago this happened...

fro; belgiqn keyboqrd it qll of q sudden szitched to us keyboqrd zithout ;e doing qnyting<<<

for those less advanced in decyphering,,, my comp went from Belgian keyboard to US without me changing anything...

anyone who can tell me what is going on...

Two things, likely.

1. Windows has a 'feature' that if you Shift-Shift on the Left Shift a in rapid succession it changes the keyboard layout to the default (which is apparently US). At least if I remember correctly as I don't use Windows anymore.

2. Your computer is begging you to throw out Windows altogether and get a Macintosh.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Two things, likely.

1. Windows has a 'feature' that if you Shift-Shift on the Left Shift a in rapid succession it changes the keyboard layout to the default (which is apparently US). At least if I remember correctly as I don't use Windows anymore.

2. Your computer is begging you to throw out Windows altogether and get a Macintosh.

I have been begging my wife for a Mac for years... lol

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My girlfriend has a Mac and she generally likes it, except there are many occasions where I get wi-fi on my PC but she cannot get connected on her Mac. Not sure why this happens but it seems there are some Wi-fi providers that are not compatible with Macs, I dont know how else to explain it.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I switched to a Mac a year ago and I will never switch back to a Windows based system. Macs are easier to use and you don't have to deal with as many issues. Speed of your computer will always depend on its specs, but when working with heavy programs like Final Cut Pro, Photoshop and Livetype, all at the same time, my Mac does not blink. The only concern is when the Mac does automatic backs ups, which I have to disable.

The only problem is that buying a mac in the DR is super expensive and Mac won't ship direct here. So shipping options are limited.

How is Windows 7 overall?

Mr. Lu

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Change it back to Belgian and see if it happens again.

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Keyboards and Languages->Details.

There may be a way to set Belgian as your default keyboard somewhere in there.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
tried that first, but it did not do the trick... so I just deleted the US keyboard, and now it takes the Belgian one...

We will prob buy a mac the next time we are in the States, to save on the duty... doesn't Best Buy ship here??? They carry macs now

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ah the old Mac vs. Windows debate. Bottom line Macs are good, but not good enough for me to pay 4 times as much (IMO). Also those of us who do real work in the real world (as opposed to just browsing the web and using Photoshop) have no choice but to use Windows as most business applications do not run on Macs.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ah the old Mac vs. Windows debate. Bottom line Macs are good, but not good enough for me to pay 4 times as much (IMO). Also those of us who do real work in the real world (as opposed to just browsing the web and using Photoshop) have no choice but to use Windows as most business applications do not run on Macs.

You're right. At home I have my beloved Mac, but at my business I have networked PCs - just can't get the accounting software, etc., that I need for a Mac. When I bought my first Mac I had to spend quite a bit to buy software (Office for Mac, Genealogy Software for Mac, etc., etc.), but it was well worth it!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

they obviously don't know what they're doing, because Vista is about worst piece of software I ever had my hands on.

Vista was a piece of crap, but they did really well with Windows 7, in fact W7 is what they intended to do when they made Vista.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Well said, Mac is the biggest waste of money in the IT world right now. I think Mac success is a trendy one. People wants Apple products just because; without not logical explanation and pay 4-5X times more for it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well said, Mac is the biggest waste of money in the IT world right now. I think Mac success is a trendy one. People wants Apple products just because; without not logical explanation and pay 4-5X times more for it.

Absolutely not true - Apple are great products, have software that has most glitches removed- unlike windows, and those that work with graphic arts programs....etc really appreciate the better quality. As far as price they are less that double the price and twice as reliable so good value for the money. Have you ever used a Mac?

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
I feel like I'm talking to my neighbor, reading this thread. He's a diehard Mac guy. Last year, he finally talked me into buying one. I sold it 6 months later.

Unless your business is graphic design, or you never used a computer before (so you don't have to unlearn all the tricks you pick up in Windows with time, and relearn for Mac), I don't see that Macs are so superior. Strikes me that a lot of the Mac mystique is the "cool kid" syndrome - but I could be wrong.

I do know that it's a mistake now for anyone to say to me "if you ever buy a Mac, you'll never go back to Windows". I did - and I did.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I feel like I'm talking to my neighbor, reading this thread. He's a diehard Mac guy. Last year, he finally talked me into buying one. I sold it 6 months later.

Unless your business is graphic design, or you never used a computer before (so you don't have to unlearn all the tricks you pick up in Windows with time, and relearn for Mac), I don't see that Macs are so superior. Strikes me that a lot of the Mac mystique is the "cool kid" syndrome - but I could be wrong.

I do know that it's a mistake now for anyone to say to me "if you ever buy a Mac, you'll never go back to Windows". I did - and I did.

Well I've owned both and see the advantages of both PC and Mac. Each to their own.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

Just swicht to linux ( FREE SPIRE ) and you'll have fun, in the beginning is going to be weird but you will get use to. Oh and the most important it is free you can install it and make copy to give it to your friends.

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Absolutely not true - Apple are great products, have software that has most glitches removed- unlike windows, and those that work with graphic arts programs....etc really appreciate the better quality. As far as price they are less that double the price and twice as reliable so good value for the money. Have you ever used a Mac?

They are pretty good, but they cost 4 times as much for about the same specs. Case in point my son last year wanted a Mac with his graduation money. I tried to convince him to get a (much more powerful) Windows machine for about half the price and tried to get a reason from him as to why he really wanted a Mac. He wanted one because "They are cool and most his friends had one...". So I say Ok it's your money so go ahead...he spend almost 1700 USD for it and on top of that would have had to spend additional money on Microsoft office (which he needs for school) if he hadn't gotten a copy from a friend.

About 3 months later my wife decides she wants a computer so we go shopping and got a Windows based system for about 400 USD (About the same specs as my son's).

Both of them just do basic stuff with their laptops so they're both happy. I couldn't use a Mac if I wanted to as I work with ERP systems and other stuff none of which would run well on Macs.

As for viruses we all know that first of (no offense) but Mac users are typically not the most computer literate people (they love them cause they are easy) so they are not the ones going around writing viruses. Windows has the largest user base thus it makes sense if you're going to develop a virus that's who you'd target. You're not going to spend all your time writing a virus to target only about 5.26% of desktops (Mac's market share). Let's face it most virus writers are Linux geeks who hate Microsoft because their own interface is not as pretty as Windows...I love Linux and variations BTW.

I'll give Apple credit on one thing though. Their current ads are "killing" Microsoft and the boys from Redmond have not been able to come up with a cool response to them yet.