Travel in december - please help! - non AI

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberrenae

Nov 17, 2009
Hi,

So I am new to this, and have been planning my week long trip to DR (dec. 17 through Dec 24) and have some questions. I unfortunately have found little info on the things I am about to ask, since most people are looking for the AI scene, and thats not what I am interested in, so sorry in advance for all the ?s. I am a mid-20s female traveling alone, have some experience backpacking, and know enough spanish to get by. I am looking for beginning surf, relaxing beaches, and some kind of communal scene and budget accomodation where I can meet people, and with some nightlife. I want to spend four days in Cabarete, day trip to Sosua. Then am debating on how to spend the next two days- between the interior (jarabacoa) or in santo domingo. I am afraid Jarabacoa will be too secluded and I wont be able to meet people, but I am interested in doing some of the activities there(whitewater rafting, hiking...). Advice please? Am also hoping you can let me know which of these areas would be the safer option, since I will be alone.

1. Any advice on Non AIs in Cabarete to stay in. I am not high maintenance at all, and am looking for budget accommodations, where I can meet other young people, any budget hotels (haven't seen anything about hostels) or eco hotels of some sort? Any ideas are welcome.

2. Does anyone know which area of Cabarete or surrounding cities is best for beginning surf or a place where I can get surf lessons? Are surfboards easy to rent ther/lessons easy to find? And do I need to book in advance?

3. Is it necessary to book accommodation before I go, and how far in advance. I am not sure with these smaller places.

4. Any advice of somewhere I haven't listed that you feel may be a better fit for my style, where I can meet people easily and may have more of a laid back backpacker vibe?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
check out CASABLANCA in cabarete, they are very cheap and comfortable rooms. Be sure to call ahead of time as they get booked up quickly! see if they have rooms available for the time you are there.
Caberete has plenty of places for you to stay at that are non AI but being that it is a tourist haven it can be pricey!
check this site out, great stuff here: Cabarete Hotels, Hotel list of Cabarete

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
jarabacoa vs capital

You will meet people in the Capital depending on where you stay... stay in the Zona.. in one of the hostel type places

it is a lovely time of year

and of course Jarabaco is gorgeous at all times

but brrrrrrrrrrrrrr for me in December

check out the temperature charts and know that there is regularly frost in Constanza in the winters..

that is how they get the great water !!

you will enjoy either place, really!!

my vote would be the capital

since it is christmas and there will be services at the Cathedral and bit more holiday stuff and displays in the stores and it will give you more of a sense of the county

of course, i live in the Capital so i am prejudiced

perhaps cobra will speak to Jarabacoa...

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Try Swell Surf Camp in Cabarete

Its kinda AI but not really. They have meal plans. Its brand new so that good, real nice looking and run by a nice young couple, Jim & Clair.

As to surf board rental, you can get something at Playa Encuentro from one of the schools there, wont be very good equip though but fine for beginner until you want to do more. However, if you stay with Jim and Clair, they have equipment, they transport you to the nearest most consistent break and will also take you to some more remote beaches, conditions depending.

Also, they are near enough to walk into town for other shops, resturants etc.

They can also hook you up with windsurfing in the afternoon when the trade winds blow out the surf. It is a world wide mecca for wind/kite surfers afterall.

Might be your best bet. Clair is active on here or you can search the internet.

PS Moderator, I have NO vested interest in the place so this isnt advertising, jaja.

Danny

amberrenae

Nov 17, 2009
Hotel options

Thanks for your replies guys!

The active cabarete website was great, especially since I could see the placement of each hotel with respect to the beach. So I have also decided just to stay in Santo Domingo two nights, and then Cabarete the rest, with day trips to Sosua (for scuba) and jarabacoa, (i think i can use iguana mamas to organize a trip). So questions about hotels. I don't think I am going to do Casablanca, because I haven't read the best reviews on it. But I did see Hotel Kaoba (bungalow style and on the beach, which I like, but seems a little quieter and away from the bars/restaurants), and Cita del sol (although its about 10 mins from the beach). Any one prefer one over the other? Both have had really good reviews when I looked them up. My focus really is a sense of community (so opportunity to meet alot of people staying there) and safety - so I thought close to the beach may be better so i dont have to walk as far.

Also, thanks for mentioning the surf camp. Although it looks to expensive for me to stay there, I may try just to do the rental and lessons. Is it necessary to go ahead and book now, or can I go when I get to Cabarete and arrange something?

Let me know what yall think!! I cant wait to go!

amberrenae

Nov 17, 2009
Also, thanks for mentioning the surf camp. Although it looks to expensive for me to stay there, I may try just to do the rental and lessons. Is it necessary to go ahead and book now, or can I go when I get to Cabarete and arrange something?

Sorry it wouldnt let me edit. But want to correct, after looking at prices, this doesnt look out of my range and also looks kind of like a hostel, but really nice. my question is, if surfing isn't my main focus, am I going to be out of place. I don't want to spend a week surfin, just a day or two. Would you recommend hotel or surf camp.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
if i were you i would book the first night at the hotel alegria and take the following morning to explore and see if there is another place that better suits your needs and wants. cabarete is not too big a place to check out in a day and this will take much of the guesswork away. i would definately do the jarabacoa trip and whitewater raft with rancho baiguate http://www.grupobaiguate.com/grupo/english/about.asp. it would give you the oportunity to see the inland of the DR and is very exhilerating. i would only do the capital if i arranged to fly out from there and continue on from jarabacoa as the distance between north and south coast would be too time consuming IMO. good luck and happy travels.. ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.