so not impressed.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i just had to share this, since there has been some debate in the past over public and private schools in the dr.

i?m a stay at home mama now, but sometimes i sub for friends. public and private. and the other day, i was in one of the more expensive, elite schools in santiago and got this note:

Querido profersor le escisbo las siguientes linea para informarles que hoy no podre axistir a clase debido a que ayer me encontraba jugando baskebol en mi casa con mis amigo y fui a cubrir un de los muchacho y sin darno cuenta chocamos de frente y yo recibi un golpe en el ojo isquierdo y lo tengo inflamado.

gracia por su atencio.

i don?t know, i just can?t justify 7,000 pesos a month when an 11th grader turns this in and thinks its acceptable. i showed it to a spanish teacher there and she was like ?so, it?s just an absence note!?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey you should give this kid a break...he just had an accident, possible concusion, etc...No es culpa suya:cheeky:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
i've noticed the same. people say "well, its just in online chat".

Took me time but I stopped my little sister (now 18) from talking in english slang to me while we were chatting online. She now knows better.

But to the OP...I understand your frustration. I see this ALL the times even in people that have a masters degree from PUCMM. I don't know what it is really. Maybe people get "lazy" if you will?

Mar 2, 2008
The devolution of humans.

Seemingly nothing is handled with the proper form anymore: On-line chats, hurried excuse notes, abbreviated words, sentences, paragraphs, relationships, endless etc.

It all adds up, and soon the abbreviated phrases and the disregard of syntax become the norm. At that point it is not only the form that suffers, but the actual mental acuity required to perform these tasks is compromised, and then begins to atrophy.

If any eyes began to blur while reading my rant, ask yourself, why?

Nov 25, 2008
just proves that even in the elite s\education schools theirs much needed improvement.

as for the teacher that said its just a note; shame on her, I bet her Spanish isn't up to par

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
The devolution of humans.

Seemingly nothing is handled with the proper form anymore: On-line chats, hurried excuse notes, abbreviated words, sentences, paragraphs, relationships, endless etc.

It all adds up, and soon the abbreviated phrases and the disregard of syntax become the norm. At that point it is not only the form that suffers, but the actual mental acuity required to perform these tasks is compromised, and then begins to atrophy.

If any eyes began to blur while reading my rant, ask yourself, why?

Sounds like we're headed for "New-Speak".... "1984" style. :speechles

Orwell knew it.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Totally unacceptable in a private "elite" school. Normal in public school. Bring that note to the attention of every teacher in that school and the principal. It is really shameful to say the least.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
just proves that even in the elite s\education schools theirs much needed improvement.

as for the teacher that said its just a note; shame on her, I bet her Spanish isn't up to par

Don't generalize, this is an anomaly in the system, I was educated in a private school, while it was not "elite", it was OK. If I dare to write a note with all those orthography faults to my teacher, I'll be forced to stay every afternoon until 5 for 1 month just to fix that deficiency.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
???

He writes his own absence notes? I bet kids wish they could do that here.

This sort of note I would call the parents and ask if it was legit, then I would ask if he had a concussion since it is pretty "off" and you are concerned.

But since you were a sub, show the regular teacher and let her deal with it.

But, yes! My head just fell off reading it!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Geez, I unnerstud it .

wat's wit yuous guys???? L:OL....

Quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a d@mn!...

But really folks, that was pretty pitiful....and quite typical of what the schools, good, bad; cheap or dear, are putting out. I tell them in class that they are "bachiburros" and need to go back and ask for their money back...Can't read and can't write.
I would not dare to ask them to write a paragraph on the Treaty of Versailles, or Juan Pablo Duarte!!! It would tear my eyeballs out by the roots to try and correct them...

It is a fact of life that writing in many languages has become a sort of lost art...finding people like Lambada or PIB with humor and spark is a rare occasion...

Just a few ? worth...

HB

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
give the kid a break

"For Aristotle, language is a symbolic system that represents the world of our experience as it is contained within the mind."

the kid wrote what he felt. the purpose of language is to convey ideas. we all understood he took a pop to the head and didn't feel like going to school the next day..it happens. it doesn't condemn him to a life of failure. i would use this as a teaching moment.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I'm still from the good old school system in Belgium. It being a small country, it was the norm you would learn all 3 official languages perfectly (Dutch, French and German), and if you took one of the better schools it was expected to learn English as perfectly as possible as well...

Nowadays this has changed as well, which I think is a shame... knowing languages is an asset in today's world which cannot be overestimated...

And of course this includes writing and reading the languages as well...

I'm far from being fluent in Spanish at the moment (after 3 months of being here), but I see progress every day... and one of the reasons is I have learned several languages, I have had 3 years of Latin (it helps... believe me), and I am submerged as I try to get by without help (excempting my hands and feet... lol) as much as I can...

When necessary I could count on the help of some dear friends...

But, the real important thing here is... children should be made aware that the world is shrinking... while 10 years ago most of the business was done in your own country, nowadays borders are disappearing (businesswise), and languages are getting to be more and more important...

and what is very disturbing to a boss, a client, a contact... a letter written full of errors... (much worse than errors spoken in a conversation)...

my 2 pesos worth... of what schools should stress...

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i?m glad i?m not the only who?s mind was blown by that note.

it?s true though, this is coming from all the schools, not just the public school. and if it?s worth anything, my husband who is a public high school teacher would never accept a note written like that - even an absence note.

the spanish teacher who told me ?t?s just a note ?was the kids spanish teacher! so, there you have it. if the teacher doesn?t care, why should the student. i doubt the teacher gives written assignments - they?re few and far between who do and even fewer who correct what they assign - because they can?t. they don?t have to tools to teach it and correct it. so they do what they can and are done.

i have some friends completing a MASTERS program in linguistics where the teacher stood up and told them on the first day, ?don?t worry about your spelling. i know it?s a problem and really, who cares if you spell vaca with a b as long as it?s understandable!?

it?s a sad, sad state of affairs.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
the point should be made crystal clear that the family of the author of this note is from the yipeta driving high class "elite" of this country..

ie they're the ones that make decisions for everyone else and look down on the poor (80% of the DR population ) as if they are garbage.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
i have some friends completing a MASTERS program in linguistics where the teacher stood up and told them on the first day, ?don?t worry about your spelling. i know it?s a problem and really, who cares if you spell vaca with a b as long as it?s understandable!?

it?s a sad, sad state of affairs.

Wowwww!!!! That's just wrong! My Spanish teacher in one of Queens County's NY worst high schools would have NEVER accepted a note like that and stood for more. This guy was ruthless in his teaching. He took no crap from anyone. If you messed up on grammar after he corrected you he would chastise you in front of the entire class. This made a lot of us (including me) be on top of our game all the time. Today I thank him! And my friends always note how well I write in Spanish acknowledging the fact that I did not study in the DR (and now that I think about it, I am glad if that is the norm down there).