I saw on dr1 that some judges in the DR make 700,000 pesos a month = 21,000 us dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Are some judges in the DR really making 700,000 pesos a month which is equivalent to 21,000 a month us dollars. I did not think that anybody in the DR government nor in the DR judiciary is making 21,000 a month us dollars. That is what lawyers, judges, and doctors are making a month in the USA.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I would be surprised if all judges in the US are fluent in 2 or 3 languages. People with language skills generally earn more money. :)

Comparing the DR to the New Jersey state Supreme Court's salaries (similar populations and living costs to the DR) : NJ Justices receive $185k to $193k. They don't make any national decisions either.

The US Supreme Court justices make $208k to $217k plus LOTS of benefits, appointed for life, and they have no political interference, which is generally useful for justice.

live_for_life, are you trying to make a career decision between law and medicine??? Go for law - you can dress like a gym rat at night and all weekend long, and later maybe drift into an even more profitable profession - POLITICS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celt202

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Whether they make it legally or not, but many people in DR are making huge bucks. How do you think we have so many cars on the street that worth more then 125 thousand dollars (example: new lexus SUV)? I know politicians make more than that in a month. A custom head official can make as much as 60K-100K pesos per day in major airports in DR. DR congress and senate members are filthy rich, they don't know what to do with their money. I know doctors in santo domingo making more than a 1000 dollars / day. Many plastic surgeons can make several thousand dollars / day. Who do you think owns all the fancy businesses in santo domingo and in santiago? Who do you think live in those fancy tall buildings in the prime property of SD?
Let me give you a hint, very few are drug dealers if that is what you are thinking.
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
^^^^ you left out---and all the beach houses and condos as their weekend retreat.One for them and their wife and yet another for their "freind".

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
^^^^ you left out---and all the beach houses and condos as their weekend retreat.One for them and their wife and yet another for their "freind".

Yes the expensive villas in beach resorts. My friend's dad owns a villa in casa de campo. he as renting it for $ 5000 US / month, 8 yrs ago. I am sure he is charging $6k US for it now.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I should like to clarify that that was the "proposed" salary for the judges that will sit on the still-to-be drawn up Constitutional Tribunal...for a 9 year term...stupidity to the extreme but some good jurists who should know better tell me it is an improvement..We'll see.

HB

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I think a Senator in DR makes about 1,000,000 pesos a month, a Diputado makes about 200,000 pesos a month and a Regidor about 100,000 or so that is without the "gifts" they get from their friends when they about to vote in a contract or something important.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i know for fact a diputado makes wayyyyy more than 200,0000 / month. remember, their salary doesn't mean much to them. These diputados have so much money, they don't know what to do with it. They have Mercedes suv and also personal sports cars for weekend, date top notch model girls and own weekend villas in more than one location. You are not allowed to take pictures inside their home. They don't want their wealth to be shown on the internet.
AZB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Whether they make it legally or not, but many people in DR are making huge bucks. How do you think we have so many cars on the street that worth more then 125 thousand dollars (example: new lexus SUV)? I know politicians make more than that in a month. A custom head official can make as much as 60K-100K pesos per day in major airports in DR. DR congress and senate members are filthy rich, they don't know what to do with their money. I know doctors in santo domingo making more than a 1000 dollars / day. Many plastic surgeons can make several thousand dollars / day. Who do you think owns all the fancy businesses in santo domingo and in santiago? Who do you think live in those fancy tall buildings in the prime property of SD?
Let me give you a hint, very few are drug dealers if that is what you are thinking.
AZB

Glad that somebody who really knows the DR get it, in another thread some other posters are announcing por los 4 vientos that without the drug laundering money the DR economy would have crashed by now.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
without the drug laundering money the DR economy would have crashed by now.

I am not surprised to see why some people think this way. These people don't live in DR, they live by the beach in an english speaking community where the servant class dominicans look up to them like gods.
I am glad they live there and we live here. 2 different worlds in the same country. strange isn't it?
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Glad that somebody who really knows the DR get it, in another thread some other posters are announcing por los 4 vientos that without the drug laundering money the DR economy would have crashed by now.
Once again, you're exagerating and misrepresenting the comments.

No one has said the DR economy would have crashed without drug money.

It has been stated...quite correctly...that drug money has a positive effect on the Dominican economy in a similar way the remittances do.

But most every ecomomy has effects of drug money in one form or another.

The US, for example, has a net outflow of cash from drugs consumed, therefore those cash resources are not only diverted from other area of the economy, the net cash leaves. The DR on the other hand most likely more drug money coming in than drugs are consumed with the cash leaving, so there is a positive cash position.

If drugs were just legalized and legitimized, those cash flows would be much more onvious.

One can understand the cash folws from drugs without moralizing on their use or the problems they cause.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
The US, for example, has a net outflow of cash from drugs consumed, therefore those cash resources are not only diverted from other area of the economy, the net cash leaves.

I don't agree with this 100%, let me tell you that a lot of the drug lords spend a ton of money in the US as well, they buy very expensive cars and suvs, buy a lot a mean a lot of clothing goods including shoes and jewelery, not count in their girlfriends plastic surgery in downtown LA or 5th ave. New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.