Hot Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Does anyone know where I can buy an electric, tankless inline water heater?

I need the type to generate hot water for an entire condo. I am not looking for one of those showerhead only things.

Preferably someone knows of a supplier near Puerto Plata, Sosua or Cabarete.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do you mean an entire house?>?? Or an apartment/condo building??? I think you will only find one of those at a really major hardware outfit like Ochoa or Americana in Santo Domingo. Or on line. One of my boys bought one and loves it, but only for a part of thehouse...expensive items...

Look on line youwill get a better deal...

HB

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
They are available in Ochoa in Santiago. The large one near the cemetary. Did not look at the price.

But a word of caution! The inline/instant electrical water heaters take a lot of amps - about 45 amps - and the wiring and breakers may have to be changed to install them.
If you have a planta they may push it over its capacity. If you have an invertor it will certainly cause problems. I also know first hand of problems with mud and muck in the water supply causing the elements to overheat and burn out.

HTH

Olly

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I also know first hand of problems with mud and muck in the water supply causing the elements to overheat and burn out.

HTH

Olly
I went to drain and clean my 20g water heater. What a surprise! No drain spigot. I will have to disconnect the entire unit from water and power and take it outside.:tired:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I bought one at Ochoa a few years back. Mine is a propane gas model as I figured this way I would have hot water regardless of whether the power was on or not. It was not very expensive at all, but the dude that did my plumbing on my new house had never seen one and couldn't get it to work. Since I'm there only a few days a year I haven't really bothered to mess with it so it just sits there. Propane should be the way to go in The DR...you don't want to put this on your inverter.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Suarez brings up an interesting point: Way back I, too, had a large and very efficient propane heater in my house. Hot water all over the place. However as the price of propane rose, the convenience became a heavy burden. These things gobble up propane.
HOWEVER, with the advent of Natural Gas, perhaps we are at the dawning of a New Age...when this type of heater will once again be affordable to a lot of people...

This remains to be seen, and I think our friend Suarez is wise to leave it lay around for a few more months.

HB

El_Canuck

Mar 5, 2006
Suarez brings up an interesting point: Way back I, too, had a large and very efficient propane heater in my house. Hot water all over the place. However as the price of propane rose, the convenience became a heavy burden. These things gobble up propane.
HOWEVER, with the advent of Natural Gas, perhaps we are at the dawning of a New Age...when this type of heater will once again be affordable to a lot of people...

This remains to be seen, and I think our friend Suarez is wise to leave it lay around for a few more months.

HB

There is gas here in the DR? Is it imported LNG? I'm just asking out of interest since I work in natural gas production and the price is still very good (for consumers) even though it is well off its lows from this summer. As an aside, if there is gas here people with diesel generator backups ought to consider switching their plants to gas. Not that I am trying to increase usage and drive the price up or anything - just trying to help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
El Canuck: There is no Natural Gas here ( Oh how I wish) but they are going to be bringing it in ofr vehicles and home use....

How do you change a diesel to NG???? Love to do that with our generator....absolutely

?They are going to sell NG at (I am remembering so I could be off a bit of a lot) at like 50? a cubic meter...it works out to be a bit cheaper than propane and a lot cheaper than gasoline. with diesel it is cheaper...at least if you figure a 1000 km trip with NG, propane and diesel...it seems NG is cheaper...

Still interested in how to set up a small diesel engine for NG.

HB

El_Canuck

Mar 5, 2006
El Canuck: There is no Natural Gas here ( Oh how I wish) but they are going to be bringing it in ofr vehicles and home use....

How do you change a diesel to NG???? Love to do that with our generator....absolutely

?They are going to sell NG at (I am remembering so I could be off a bit of a lot) at like 50? a cubic meter...it works out to be a bit cheaper than propane and a lot cheaper than gasoline. with diesel it is cheaper...at least if you figure a 1000 km trip with NG, propane and diesel...it seems NG is cheaper...

Still interested in how to set up a small diesel engine for NG.

HB

Its a matter of changing the head and fuel system. I don?t know if such things are commercially available but we modify all our Caterpillar diesels to gas in this way to operate small compressors. Try asking the manufacturer of your diesel if they do such a thing. Otherwise perhaps there is some aftermarket company that can do such a modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.