Fish On A Stick !....Sosua Style ...

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Sosua Fishermen often sell their "Catch of the Day" locally in the streets.

I was surprised by the lack of Dolphin this year but reef fishing is yielding Red and Yellow Tail Snapper lately.

I am curious what people are paying as I seem to think the mongers calculaters have seen too much sun!

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
The last time I was in Sosua (Feb 2009) one of the restaurants was charging me $230 pesos a pound for snapper. I told him to sud off and that I will rather get it in Maimon for $130 lol

Reactions: mike l

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Tigre dimelo, Maimon es expensive or what? How would you grade this spot?
One of my lady friends mentioned that to me today that she would like to go there. But I want to know what to expect before I go. What is the ambience? location? Wine list? Price?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The reason I started this was over the price of red snapper.

The guy was trying to charge $250 RD per pound for a whole fish which seems high.

My observation is that they will stick with the gringo price or take it home.

Some of the pink and black snapper think the same way.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My observation is that they will stick with the gringo price or take it home.

aka as the dominican version of winning the lottery. Kind of like my neighbor who is holding out for me to buy a 350 m2 parcel for RD10,000,000 in my neighborhood. I politely told him no it was way too expensive and besides I didn't have any money now. He said he would hold it for me. :)

I think next time he asks me when I'm ready to buy I'll just tell him "cuando Colon baje el dedo", jeje - en serio.

Reactions: mike l

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
One of my lady friends mentioned that to me today that she would like to go there. But I want to know what to expect before I go. What is the ambience? location? Wine list? Price?

Cheapest price on the north coast if you ask me. And great quality too. Don't go to the "fancy" restaurants. Where you see a whole bunch of smoke - that is where you go. Where they have the fish laying out in buckets. They sell snapper, mero, cotorra and other stuff. If you have a cooler you can get it to go or just have on the spot. The beer in that spot is also dressed to be married! Just the way people like it :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Maimon is a couple of miles out West from Puerto Plata. It is NOT on the beach. Just a lineup of huts and shacks along the main highway Santiago bound.
It is definitely worth a visit if you like fish.
There are two more stately buildings... IMO DON'T go there... do the shacks! They are better and you will have less time to battle off the "hey mah frien'!" syndrome.
Currently I recommend "Los Primos" the are on the Eas end of Maimon on the North side of the road... a big cana roof.
So, here's what you do:

1. First I don't know your Lady friend. But many don't know how to handle the deal. So, show a little authority.
  2. If you go to Los Primos, great everybody with "hola priiiiimo/a" like you've been there before.
  3. Once assigned a table, YOU get up and manage your way right into the kitchen. After the door, look right to you left, there es a chest freezer and a balance to it right. YOU open the freezer (authority, remember) and proceed to choose yer fish.
  4. That particular freezer is full with Cotorra (aka. Lora / Bocayate). Parrot fish is one of the safest bets! It's clean and has a flaky white meat. It's also the cheapest... about 80 to 120 Pesos a pound COOKED and SERVED! Parrot fish tends to be somewhat flat and of a high profile. Choose the ones which are not so flat and rather round... pound per pound, you'll get more meat and less head.
  5. YOU put it on the balance, note the weight and say it aloud... and tell'em how you want it done (al vapor [steamed] or flito [fried]). IF you like it fried, I'd recommend you urge them to fry it less than they use to for their Santiaguero customers: "...frielo poquito, que quede jugoso!".
  6. You can ask for sides. The server will offer all sorts of sides to you Lady, making it sound like they're giveaways and she will most likely fall for it and bury you in plates of platanes done in a variety of ways and french fries, all in double edition, after all you shall not think she would be so selfish... :D
  7. Forget the wine, enjoy the fish... there is beer, juices or sodas. Check your check, don't be shy to question funny add-ons.
Maimon gets extremely busy on Sunday (Santiagueros!). Some like that ambiance, others prefer to visit on quieter week days.
Don't go there when it's raining, it ain't purdy and it's considered quite normal for roofs to have leak or two.

Parrot_Fish.JPG

... J-D.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Maimon is a couple of miles out West from Puerto Plata. It is NOT on the beach. Just a lineup of huts and shacks along the main highway Santiago bound.
It is definitely worth a visit if you like fish.
There are two more stately buildings... IMO DON'T go there... do the shacks! They are better and you will have less time to battle off the "hey mah frien'!" syndrome.
Currently I recommend "Los Primos" the are on the Eas end of Maimon on the North side of the road... a big cana roof.
So, here's what you do:

1. First I don't know your Lady friend. But many don't know how to handle the deal. So, show a little authority.
  2. If you go to Los Primos, great everybody with "hola priiiiimo/a" like you've been there before.
  3. Once assigned a table, YOU get up and manage your way right into the kitchen. After the door, look right to you left, there es a chest freezer and a balance to it right. YOU open the freezer (authority, remember) and proceed to choose yer fish.
  4. That particular freezer is full with Cotorra (aka. Lora / Bocayate). Parrot fish is one of the safest bets! It's clean and has a flaky white meat. It's also the cheapest... about 80 to 120 Pesos a pound COOKED and SERVED! Parrot fish tends to be somewhat flat and of a high profile. Choose the ones which are not so flat and rather round... pound per pound, you'll get more meat and less head.
  5. YOU put it on the balance, note the weight and say it aloud... and tell'em how you want it done (al vapor [steamed] or flito [fried]). IF you like it fried, I'd recommend you urge them to fry it less than they use to for their Santiaguero customers: "...frielo poquito, que quede jugoso!".
  6. You can ask for sides. The server will offer all sorts of sides to you Lady, making it sound like they're giveaways and she will most likely fall for it and bury you in plates of platanes done in a variety of ways and french fries, all in double edition, after all you shall not think she would be so selfish... :D
  7. Forget the wine, enjoy the fish... there is beer, juices or sodas. Check your check, don't be shy to question funny add-ons.
Maimon gets extremely busy on Sunday (Santiagueros!). Some like that ambiance, others prefer to visit on quieter week days.
Don't go there when it's raining, it ain't purdy and it's considered quite normal for roofs to have leak or two.

Parrot_Fish.JPG

... J-D.

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you listen to these suggestions you'll have a great fish dinner.

I guess you can bring your own wine if it is a must.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The cotorra is a good tasting fish and I see no real difference between it and the mero.

Also, we eat at the first restarant on the right coming into Maimon. It is a new building with a high thatched roof and the food is always excellent, hot and economical. We have eaten at most of the restarants too.

Also, we have just found asking for "pescado frito" is sufficient to get it done right the first time.

Buen provecho.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
better eat some mahi mahi....which the fisherman parade through most towns in the morning.

The fish places in Maimon serve all sorts of fish...ceviche..conch...oysters...big ass prawns..squid and octopus...and unfortunately parrot fish

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I ll try the big ass prawns and stay away from the parrot fish then

IMO, Maimon is NOT the ideal place for "big ass" prawns, as you put it... not even for small ass ones either, really. :D
Mero can at times have an unpleasant after taste of standing water (locals refer to as sabor a tierra). Can't smell it on the raw fish, so it's a lucky draw thing. Never had that with parrot fish here, but then I might just have been lucky.
Dorada (MahiMahi/Dolphin) certainly is an alternative, sadly only when really, really fresh and an unlikely find in Maimon.
Another one would be Chillo, the local's luxury fish! I don't particularly care for it, but tastes vary. I still think locals prefer it because it cost twice as much as a cotorica and may be even easier to part. Now, that they will be more than happy to serve you in Maimon.

Maybe Cabarete beach?

... J-D.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There is a smaller, but similar area in Rio San Juan, right on the highway, just before Playa Grande (heading east). about 5 or 6 fish shacks, walk into the kitchen, pick and weigh your fish and choose your sides...

Depending where you're coming from, may be an easier alternative than Maimon for fresh fish and cold beer...for only a few more pesos though, you can be served similar food right on the beach at Playa Grande.

BTW, I've heard from several sources to stay away from Cotorra/Parrot Fish. It apparently has a higher likelihood of making you sick from sea-borne creepycrawlies...