Coffee on El Conde

Sep 22, 2009
So, here I am drinking my morning Cafe Santo Domingo and responding to last night's batch of hate-mails, when I figured I'd share a simple pleasure that I have experienced here in DR.

I have been here for over 6 years now and drinking Cafe Santo Domingo the whole time. I assume out of laziness. A few months ago, my father-in-law turned me on to this fresh grind at El Cafeteria on the Conde. Honestly, for 70/lb, it is such a welcome change-up from the old standby (I mean, this coming from a 13-year Upper-East-Sider). I enjoy it so much that I even have my wife "Caribe-Pack" it from Santo Domingo when I am working from our North Coast place.

I'm certain many of you know about this place, but I thought I'd share my own little personal joy.

Great value, great Cuban sandwiches and shakes as well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We like Cafe Santo Domingo en grano, we usually bring about 20 pounds back to NJ and keep it in the freezer until we grind it. One trip we were able to buy Induban in grano, and it was excellent, but we never found it in whole beans again. What's the name of the brand that you liked on El Conde?

Sep 22, 2009
We like Cafe Santo Domingo en grano, we usually bring about 20 pounds back to NJ and keep it in the freezer until we grind it. One trip we were able to buy Induban in grano, and it was excellent, but we never found it in whole beans again. What's the name of the brand that you liked on El Conde?

Jersey! Born and raised AE.

El Cafeteria has a proprietary blend, of which I am not sure if CSD is a part. It has more body than CSD and is always roasted to perfection, not burned like a public company I know of in which I own equity shares. LOL

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
El Cafeteria

That's my favorite coffee place in SD. The way they prepare is great too. A big milk/foam topping with cinnamin. Good food too with good prices.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Induban with out a doubt is far superior to the regular Santo Domingo coffee (which is very good in itself). I have only been able to buy it "en grano" directly from the delivery truck ($80 RD/lb). Look for the white and yellow van.

Bob K

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Insider secret :)

By far the best coffee place in Santo Domingo is "West Indies Cafe" in the Colonial Zone. The owner (Jose) is a passionate coffee connoisseur and major coffee exporter here. He's a cool and a great fun to sit down with and have a chat (fluent English) about coffee.

See the article below in the dr1guide - Santo Domingo
Gourmet Dominican Coffee at West Indies | dr1guide

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
El Cafeteria is fine, bit warm and humid, plus I wish they would clean their coffee machine once and a while. Drinking 6 month old grinds is not the way to enjoy great coffee.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Y'all should try Monte Alto organic coffee. Grown and processed here in Jarabacoa.

Smooth and wonderful. Low acidic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I buy Monte Alto whenever it is available. It's one of the things on my capital shopping list because none of the PC/B?varo/Ver?n supermarkets sell it.

I like the authentic retro of La Cafetera del Conde (I think that has to be the one you mean) and despite the place being a bit hygienically challenged, the coffee they grind on the spot is excellent. Great fruit juices and sandwiches too.

Another top coffee choice in Paliza, sold in the Mercado Modelo.

Still need to try West Indies and will do so on our next visit.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
What needs to be open in SD its a Starbucks Coffee place, that way we all can have great flavor coffee.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You forgot one of these ;)

If you are serious, there is a Starbucks type set-up with branches in several SD malls called Caribbean Coffee Co.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
chirimoya, I have try that coffee chain, and I don't thnik it cames near starbucks quality and taste that's reason why I can't wait for one to be open down in DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am sorry to say, but Starbucks has evolved into an overpriced cup of brown water, the last three times I tried to drink a cup, I had to get a booster espresso shot added for it to taste anything like coffee.

I'll take my Cafe Santo Domingo with a few Hazelnut beans ground in any day over some overpriced Starbucks colored water!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Starbucks YUK.

And just try to get a plain coffee, would rather buy from an instant machine than starbucks. god willing they will never come here

N

nuguynyc

Starbucks YUK.

And just try to get a plain coffee, would rather buy from an instant machine than starbucks. god willing they will never come here

The Starbucks model is founded in the customer experience, more than in "great coffee". They created a "language" and an "environment" to enhance the age-old doughnut shop model. They were pioneers. Their menu and dialect inspired many non-coffee connoisseurs to jump in and learn the lingo.

Let's not even touch the branding genius component.

Thank you Mr. Schultz -- it's been a fun ride!

ps: El Cafetera is a great cup of joe and a sandwich, Robert is also on the money.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Well I don't doubt DR coffee, I know its great, I happen to like it too. But I mean by a place like Starbucks its the experience, the different types of flavors and ways to have your coffee, you know the Mocha way, or the Frapuccino way specially down in the DR heat.
I agree with part of it being over price, but you pay for the customer services, the big chairs and the nice background music, its just brings great memories from my college's days in NYC.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
That coffee is something else

I have been here for over 6 years now and drinking Cafe Santo Domingo the whole time. I assume out of laziness. A few months ago, my father-in-law turned me on to this fresh grind at El Cafeteria on the Conde. Honestly, for 70/lb, it is such a welcome change-up from the old standby (I mean, this coming from a 13-year Upper-East-Sider). I enjoy it so much that I even have my wife "Caribe-Pack" it from Santo Domingo when I am working from our North Coast place.

I'm certain many of you know about this place, but I thought I'd share my own little personal joy.

A guest who was staying here brought me that coffee... and since, well, I would have to actually walk, like what 15 minutes to get it, I usually do not... Because, let me tell you... there is SOMETHING to that coffee..

It is almost a REAL DRUG... bordering on the illegal.

I drank sooooo much when I first got it that I figured I had better watch myself because, see, it has NO jitters NO acid stomach... just this incredible

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

incredible stuff!!!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Short...

Starbucks...any blend...YUK!
Coffee from the hights of Sumatra Indonesia...oh boy...to dy for...never thought I would find such a blend again...until I drank El Monte Alto...very nice blend, smooth...I do enjoy again my cup of coffee in the morning after many years of non-coffee drinking.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Short...

Starbucks...any blend...YUK!
Coffee from the hights of Sumatra Indonesia...oh boy...to dy for...never thought I would find such a blend again...until I drank El Monte Alto...very nice blend, smooth...I do enjoy again my cup of coffee in the morning after many years of non-coffee drinking.

Is it my imagination or does Monte Alto, which I really like, have a slight moca or cholate taste. As you say, very smooth and the Aroma....mmmmm.