Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is with the Beef in Santo Domingo?

3 attempts and still unable to enjoy a steak. Tried a place on Churchill, the Steak place up from the Melecon Centre on the Malecon itself, and another place somewhere beside a hospital in the centre of town (we were lost and stumbling around trying to find ourselves so who knows where we were) and my oh my, they are pretty damn nasty lumps of meat.
    Can we get a good steak anywhere in Santo Domingo?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG!

1) Davey Crockett
    2) SteakHouse

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

davey crockett is a good steak? c'mon!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    davey crockett is a good steak? c'mon!
    Everything is relative Adrian. Everything. It's not David Burke Townhouse, but the OP asked for the better steak in SD, did he not? You didn't even offer one up now, did you?

Tisk Tisk.

I think DC is not bad at all for the price.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So which one is DC?
    Like the numbers on doors here, it is quite difficult to know where you are sometimes.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRNED View Post
    3 attempts and still unable to enjoy a steak. Tried a place on Churchill, the Steak place up from the Melecon Centre on the Malecon itself, and another place somewhere beside a hospital in the centre of town (we were lost and stumbling around trying to find ourselves so who knows where we were) and my oh my, they are pretty damn nasty lumps of meat.
    Can we get a good steak anywhere in Santo Domingo?
    Chef pepper
    Gustavo Mejia Ricart 62
    Av Gustavo Mejia Ricart, Naco, Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo
    (809) 565-4068

Don Nestor
    Dirección:
    Lope de Vega No. 13 Plaza Progreso Business Center
    Telefono:
    809-412-1386

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile you wont find one

In this hot island climate the quality of the grass is poor and the beef are what is called utility grade. The only good steak you will find here will be imported beef. In the US the best beef comes from Nebraska and a few other cold climate states. Florida has the same circumstance as the DR - its beef production is very poor for a high quality steak. Even to make hamburger beef they have to add fat to the meat to give it some flavor. The DR has lots but good steaks are not on the list. Try Buenos Aires next time if you really like beef.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd go with chef pepper. its not a high end place, but the quality is good and consistent. porterhouse used to be great but its gone downhill. davey crockett isn't worth mentioning in my opinion, the place is old and tired and coasting on some reputation they seem to have established 20 years ago

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Davey Crockett is on Gustavo Mejia Reichert, near Tiradentes.

I would choose Porterhouse over David Crockett's anyday. Chef Pepper is probably the best deal in town for US Angus steaks. I went to a place on Enrique Urena (I think) off Tiradentes right in the middle of the road where it splits heading towards Maximo Gomez. I believe the place is called Don Antonio? It was on par with DC, maybe even Porterhouse, a little cheaper, much less pretentious...its an Argentinian place.

If you want a good Angus steak on the Malecon, try Vesuvio (not really that expensive especially considering the atmosphere and service and comparing to DC or PH) next to the Hilton...speaking of which, there's a Tony Roma's in the Hilton...haven't had a steak there but the baby backs and hamburgers taste exactly like the US versions, I assume the steak would too...

Bottom line, just look for, or ask for a place that sells US Angus and you've got a pretty good shot at a good steak...anything else, IMO is just not worth it, the beef here is just not what most of us think of as great for steaks...or burgers for that matter.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Florida BEEF hahaha...they were fed orange peels too back when Florida was a major producer of oranges and juice.

It's been a while but I had good churrasco at a steak house in the Colonial Zone. It was on Hostos, a block or so south of Conde....Chateau Briand (sp) was good too....dinner for two was "a Benjamin", but I admit to having a few cocktails included in that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast