US Embassy telephone?????

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am starting the visa process for my wife while living in the DR and there is only one number in SD for the US Embassy that handles this issue. The phone is 809 2212171 x 6608When you call a recording says that the voice mailbox is full and you are being redirected to the person assigned to this mailbox. A short wait then a new recording says "no one has been assigned to this mail box". They only "answer" the phone M,W,and Friday beteween 8-11 am. Anyone read "Catch 22"? One time I got through and after a minute or so I was disconnected!!!!! Its enough to drive me nuts and this is only the beginning. I should probably calm down and steel myself to face lots more of this kind of nonsense. Its like they are going to throw up every roadblock possible to make the visa process as long and painful as possible, hoping we will give up and go away.

Mar 2, 2008
I have found the consulate on the north coast to be very helpful.

I don't know where you live, but attitude is extremely important, no matter where you are. Keep a good attitude and the karma will follow you, and that is not new-age rhetoric.

You have to keep in mind that until you establish a relationship with an actual person, you are just another number. Make an attempt to connect with someone at the embassy or consulate. It will make a world of difference.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I called the US embassy once to ask how long it would take to get a visa. The recorded message asked if I had a number from Banco Popular and I pressed 2 for not having a number. The message then said to get a number!!! You had to pay Banco Popular to get a number to get a visa and I only wanted a question answered!! Eventually I got through to a live person and I asked the same question and the answer was pay money at Banco Popular. I suggested that I go to the embassy and go in and just ask the question as to how long it would take to get a visa and was told I would be denied entrance!!

matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That happened to me when I was trying to help my Swiss neighbours who just needed an answer to a simple question - as non-residents without biometric passports would they need to apply for a visa in their home country or could they do this right here in the DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I agree with catcher and windeguy that the north coast Consul and his assistant are extremely helpful but I just wonder if they should be used to meet the high workload/failings of the Santo Domingo Embassy? Sometimes when I've been trying to speak to a real live body in SD, rather than go via the designated channels, I've presented my issue as either a commercial business venture, numbers here:
Contact Us -- U.S. Commercial Service Caribbean

or a public affairs issue, numbers here:
Public Affairs Section / Franklin Center - U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

and after a discussion on those issues have presented my real issue as a 'Thank you, you've been most helpful and, by the way I wonder if you could connect me to the department which............'

Doesn't work every time but has for sure been more successful than using the number suggested for the relevant issue.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
has anyone tried

The Franklin Center or the Press office?

I would think that they could at least get you to a person who could answer a question like Chiri's

Of course, if you are just calling to ask how your visa process is coming

the answer is that IT IS NOT

My friend here just applied for a ten year visa and got a yes within two weeks,

So my suspicion is that the YES comes quickly

and then there are varying degrees of NO

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
if it is any comfort

Americans are not granted a whole lot of extra attention either

I mean you would be AMAZED to see the line every day at the Consulate...

I went there to renew my passport, thinking that there was going to be this really short line for passport holders .... only to find that this long snaking line
WAS for passport holders....

None of that "go to any post office and mail in your passport and we will have it back to you in six weeks"

But it is an interesting outing...

An all day outing.. but an interesting one.

and yes, they do have a concession stand that sells lunch!

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Since you say you are starting the visa process for your wife, I would just remind you that visitor visas for a spouse of an american citizen are never granted by the consulate in Santo Domingo. You must seek some type of immigrant visa.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I did not know this

Since you say you are starting the visa process for your wife, I would just remind you that visitor visas for a spouse of an american citizen are never granted by the consulate in Santo Domingo. You must seek some type of immigrant visa.

We had an American who lives here whose wife was turned down.

Is this info printed or just "known"?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I would say that it is "known" but not stated on the consulate web site. We might even hear of an exception to the rule if this thread runs long enough. It is not a very big deal to go for a immigrant visa, just more expensive and involved than a visitor visa. Since my daughter (born in Sto Dgo) and I are U.S. citizens, my lawyer says it will be imposible for her mother to get a visitor visa and we will ultimately have to go for a green card for her.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We had an American who lives here whose wife was turned down.

Is this info printed or just "known"?

It's on the website and the last bolded point is the part that most applying for a visitor visa have a problem convincing Immigration on.

Qualifying for a Visa

Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:
  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
  • That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
  • Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
  • That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.
Taken from http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html#7

Reactions: mountainannie

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
We are drifting off the subject some. The OP never said he was trying for a visitor visa . I was just throwing in a reminder. The real issue is how do you get information out of our embassy. If one is easily aggravated by bureaucratic idiocy then one should think twice before actually going to the consulate seeking information. Does any one have a good way to get answers for questions that aren't in their FAQs?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
We are drifting off the subject some. The OP never said he was trying for a visitor visa . I was just throwing in a reminder. The real issue is how do you get information out of our embassy. If one is easily aggravated by bureaucratic idiocy then one should think twice before actually going to the consulate seeking information. Does any one have a good way to get answers for questions that aren't in their FAQs?

You need to call the National Customer Service Center here in the U.S.
USCIS - The National Customer Service Center But you have to pretend you are in U.S., don't call saying that you're in the DR because they won't help, it's only for people living in the U.S.A