Was I A Victim Of Dominican Airport Security Theft?

Provincial

Oct 18, 2009
Travelling for pleasure
So I just returned from a FANTASTIC vacation on the North Coast, but the stupid airport security screener at POP confiscated my compact *umbrella* of all things! She claimed the frame could be disassembled to make sharp pointy objects, which are not allowed on the plane.

So it is not a big deal, only a $10 umbrella.

(It was a gift from my parents who got it in the US because you can never find really nice ones like that in Canada.) But really, I cannot find any info anywhere saying such things are not permitted on planes. They searched my bag in Toronto too and made nothing of it.

Do you think this was just some theft because she or her boyfriend or something needed an umbrella? I recognise that this sort of abuse of power is quite common in lesser developed countries, but still this type of thing (in any nation) REALLY annoys me. :mad: I should have broken it in half and handed it to her.

At least I was able to bring back some Brugal 151 even though I later found out that 140 proof is the maximum you can put in your checked luggage. :cheeky:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually in this case they were correct. I have seen umbrellas confiscated in many airports including Denver, New York, Miami. Next time pack it in your checked luggage. It very rarely rains on the plane anyway :cheeky:

Bob K

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
They were correct to hold the umbrella. The world is not the same since 9/11, if you are travelling you need to remember this when you pack. Just look at those little metal spikes they can be used as an arm.
When I get on a plane I want that those airport security employees are as vigilant as they can be.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately yes, they did right. It is a loooong way past the time I flew on Fuerza Aerea Uno with a Dominican president with my side arm in its holster!!!...Yippeee kayeee!! Cowboy!!

Now, you can't take big tubes of toothpaste on board in hand carried luggage...

Experts say a lot of it is a waste of time, but for that just one time....

Oh well...live in the 2000s....who wudda thought!!????

HB

Provincial

Oct 18, 2009
Travelling for pleasure
Thanks for the info... I have flown numerous times since 9/11 from Canada, the USA and Europe and this was never an issue. It is surprising to me since they don't even mention it on the TSA or CATSA lists of prohibited items. But it is good to know that this was not some one-off incident of theft.