Hola! :) Moslty Internet Question.

Constantine

Nov 22, 2009
Hello! :bunny: (sorry for my pesky English)

i am about to move in DR to live there and i have a lots of questions! but better way to get answers is the Internet connection! :ninja:

i googled a lot, but truly there is not so much information over there, so i came here :pirate:

what is the situation with an broadband internet connections in cities like Puerto Plata and Cocya (Sosua)?

What about 3G? (And your experience with it?)

OFFTOPIC :pirate: : is English are used wide across DR? (cause my Spanish is truly ****) :chinese:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 1, 2009
Welcome to DR1, there are probably posts with the information you need. There was a really good ,one last week concerning internet reliability. Internet in the DR is expensive from what I can see, somone told me it's the best in latin america, wow, hard to believe....Use the search button it's your friend. El castellano, o mejor dicho la version Dominicana del castellano, si tiene un uso extenso en la Republica Dominicana. If you understood that then your ok, if you didn't enroll in some spanish classes, your gonna need it! Enjoy your time in the DR and hopefully you will bring a positive influence to it and it's people

Lando

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hello! :bunny: (sorry for my pesky English)

i am about to move in DR to live there and i have a lots of questions! but better way to get answers is the Internet connection! :ninja:

i googled a lot, but truly there is not so much information over there, so i came here :pirate:

what is the situation with an broadband internet connections in cities like Puerto Plata and Cocya?

What about 3G? (And your experience with it?)

OFFTOPIC :pirate: : is English are used wide across DR? (cause my Spanish is truly ****) :chinese:
The general Dominican population speaks very little English (Like none!).
Knowing basic Spanish will get you by okay for the most part, it will be difficult without it.

Codetel seems to be in my opinion, the best choice for broadband.
It is a far cry from what you are probably used to, and expensive.
My phone bill for VIP Phone (Unlimited Local calls) and DSL (768 kb) runs about $3,200 pesos a month. (Exchange Rate: 36 pesos per U.S. dollar)

The other questions will be answered by those in the know about it.

Don

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think its changed a bit in the two years Ive been here with regard to people speaking English - there is usually at least one in most shops now,whereas before there was no-one in the ferretshops and I didnt know the name for a ball cock in spanish -therefore one takes the old one and waves it. So you can quite easily get by without knowing any Spanish, but its best to make friends with someone that can translate in an emergency

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cocya is Sosua, right? I'm guessing the OP is a speaker of Russian or some other language that uses the Cyrillic alphabet.

Constantine

Nov 22, 2009
Cocya is Sosua, right? I'm guessing the OP is a speaker of Russian or some other language that uses the Cyrillic alphabet.
You are absolutely right, Russian is my first language and yeah.. Cocya is Sosua ;) just misspelled it with my ordinary habits :cheeky:

Constantine

Nov 22, 2009
Well i think Codetel is a good choice for DR.. cause there's not much choice at all :)

their "Flash Internet" tariffs are not so bad.. how about stability? Underwater rocks? :bored:

Are they selling Wi-Fi (DSL capable) routers? or u have to purchase it yourself ;) :paranoid:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
how about stability?

Dobro pozhalovat to DR1 Constantine. Stability of connection isn't bad for us where we live in Puerto Plata, but you have to pray that when it goes down it's with a standard type problem which they can easily fix. And only one problem at a time. Last week it took them 3 days to fix our non-standard problems - one in the street and one in the house. And that was with guys we knew working on it; and they really were working on it - kept phoning us up to say 'is it working now? It should be' when it wasn't....because of the second problem in the house.

And Cocya is just so...........descriptive of Sosua :cheeky:

And I have to ask jrhartley, how many ferretshops do you know? I have yet to come across a shop selling ferrets on the north coast.