Questions... travelling to Punta Cana next weekend

omegadan

Nov 21, 2009
Okay, this is a bit of a re-post, but I think I may have posted this in the wrong sub-forum. If either of the threads is incorrectly posted, my apologies in advance, I'm not sure where I should post these questions to get useful replies.

I'm heading to Barcelo Punta Cana All Inclusive with a few friends for a long weekend, and this is what I've learned so far:

* taxi from PUJ - Barcelo Punta Cana AI is US$45

* Safety is a concern, but no more than the typical third world country. Not a problem for me because I'm from Trinidad.

* Spanish is important - I speak some Spanish as I often travel to South America (Venezuela to be specific).

* It may not be a good idea to drive while on the island, as drivers don't show much regard for the law.

I do, however, have a few questions:

* Where is the best place to change money? Is there a cambio at PUJ?

* Is the official rate still US$1 - DOP36?

* Where's the best nightlife in the area? I've heard of Mangu and the Hard Rock Cafe but are there any others?

* While we're there to take in the beaches and chicks, we would also like to see some of the island during the day, maybe even see Santo Domingo. So far, I'm thinking:

Santo Domingo city tour
Puerto Plata
Manatee Park
Jeep Safari

If anyone has reviews or any other suggestions, let me know.

* Chicas - Yeah I'm aware that there's prostitution but is it as prevalent as people are making it out to be? Should one just avoid the women altogether? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't want to meet someone while on vacation and get played :disappoin

Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

And again, my apologies to the mods if this is posted in the wrong place.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you are going to Punta Cana for a long weekend, Puerto Plata would not be advisable. It is on the other side of the country - a long drive, to say the least.

Reactions: Lucille

omegadan

Nov 21, 2009
What are you asking here?

I do, however, have a few questions:

* Where is the best place to change money? Is there a cambio at PUJ?

* Is the official rate still US$1 - DOP36?

* Where's the best nightlife in the area? I've heard of Mangu and the Hard Rock Cafe but are there any others?

* While we're there to take in the beaches and chicks, we would also like to see some of the island during the day, maybe even see Santo Domingo. So far, I'm thinking:

Santo Domingo city tour
Puerto Plata
Manatee Park
Jeep Safari

If anyone has reviews or any other suggestions, let me know.

* Chicas - Yeah I'm aware that there's prostitution but is it as prevalent as people are making it out to be? Should one just avoid the women altogether? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't want to meet someone while on vacation and get played :disappoin

Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

I just want some advice from people who know a bit more than I do (well, a lot more, lol!).

If you are going to Punta Cana for a long weekend, Puerto Plata would not be advisable. It is on the other side of the country - a long drive, to say the least.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated. I had little idea of the distance involved or if there was quick and reliable transport.

omegadan

Nov 21, 2009
Brief Update...

I sent an email to 'opetur@codetel.net.do' and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a few replies, from tour operators.

They confirmed what La Profe_1 said, i.e. Puerto Plata would be too far.

I also received brochures from Prieto Tours and Turinter... we'll probably go on the Higuey half-day tour and see what we can do on Sunday.

redheadkatie

May 2, 2009
If you want to go to a club Imagine is pretty cool. It's inside a cave and there are bats flying around! The hard rock cafe isn't very interesting but Mangu can be fun. And of course you could always hang out at a car wash. Good times to be had!!!

omegadan

Nov 21, 2009
If you want to go to a club Imagine is pretty cool. It's inside a cave and there are bats flying around! The hard rock cafe isn't very interesting but Mangu can be fun. And of course you could always hang out at a car wash. Good times to be had!!!

What's so special about the car wash? I get the other stuff but I'm lost with the car wash idea, lol!