What's up with all the dengue cases?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I put this in the "Living" section even though I can only comment about the south but I reckon that this is the same everywhere in the country.
In the last 2 weeks 6 friends of mine got dengue here in Juan Dolio. Having had dengue myself in 1994 in Panama I know that this virus is not a pleasant one and one can get very sick.
Even though the authorities fumigate all the time most of Panama they still have quite a few problems there.
The DR being a large tourist destination they don't do anything here and the cases of dengue are increasing.
Foreign tour operators are already complaining about this and if this is not changed it will hurt the tourist industry.
What do you think?

Jun 18, 2007
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I put this in the "Living" section even though I can only comment about the south but I reckon that this is the same everywhere in the country.
In the last 2 weeks 6 friends of mine got dengue here in Juan Dolio. Having had dengue myself in 1994 in Panama I know that this virus is not a pleasant one and one can get very sick.
Even though the authorities fumigate all the time most of Panama they still have quite a few problems there.
The DR being a large tourist destination they don't do anything here and the cases of dengue are increasing.
Foreign tour operators are already complaining about this and if this is not changed it will hurt the tourist industry.
What do you think?

Jun 18, 2007
It appears that there're many ostriches here same as mentioned in the article below because even though tens of people read this thread nobody else had something to say.
Come on people living in the DR in my opinion this is more important than somebody being screwed by a sankie/prostitute where everyone is so eager to comment on!!!!
Imagine your kid getting it!!!!!!

Just read this the other day, maybe has some insight.

Generation Y Unnamable

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are definately a lot more mosquitos here the last three weeks, hardly seen any for months and months, then they all arrive together-

wendymathews

Mar 27, 2007
I'm living in Sosua and my friend down the street has dengue. She has been very sick so it is here for sure. shouldn't they fumigate? What is done to control it?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
it is an endemic disease in the region

http://www.paho.org/English/AD/DPC/CD/dengue-cases-2008.htm

I was surprised to see that Cuba was not doing better with this one......

As far as I know, dengue has always been around.

Dengue fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This particular strain, the hemorragic (sp? i just could not get it right) fever appears to be a regional outbreak.. Was very severe in Central American two years ago.

Like malaria, because this occurs mostly in poorer countries, there is not the same pressure to develop a vaccine.

Funny, though, all these citations put in sleep under nets and I was under the impression that the dengue carrying mosquito, unlike the malaria carrying mosquito, bites primarily in the day time.

Anyway, lots of folks have had it during this more recent outbreak and most of them pull through although it really does require serious and quick medical attention. My understanding from a couple of folks who had it is that you feel better and then... wham.... you get really sick and can go into shock.. according to the stats, half of the people who go into shock die.

Since most of the tourists here go to the A1s, and since they certainly spray and keep their grounds free of any breeding spots, I think that it is mostly the residents who need to worry,

But you are right to open a thread.. We should not forget that it is here.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
[/I] am sitting in the hospital right now after a FEVER AND AM ON ANTIOBIOTICS THE FIRST 34 HOURS OF TOSSING AND TURNING IS NOT FUN SO KILL EM ALL

I HAVE A LEG INFECTION BUT ANY FEVER IS INTOLERABLE guess i should turn the caps off

wifi is great for times like this

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I have a stagnant swimming pool next door- any ideas about what to throw in the water that might help - such as oil or petrol- the water is completely black and the pool is full

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jr, apparently dengue mosquitos breed in clean fresh water so no worries there.
those abandoned pools are great for malaria mosquitos thou.:ermm:

May 8, 2009
a pump?

I have a stagnant swimming pool next door- any ideas about what to throw in the water that might help - such as oil or petrol- the water is completely black and the pool is full

You could pump the water out to the street. (Using just your typical pump that most people have in the country for their water)

May 8, 2009
I saw some workers fumigating the other day in town..(Cabrera) I assume it was for mosquitoes. A guy was driving one of those very small pick-up trucks through town. On the back he had a machine that was spewing white smoke. He was going up and down all of the streets. Pretty funny... There were a bunch of kids chasing him the whole way, enjoying the smoke it seemed.

Jun 18, 2007
During my 2 years here in JD I've never seen such a truck here and this is supposed to be a major tourist destination. It's incredible that a country who's major income is supposed to be tourism doesn't do anything about it.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
My boyfriend, a teacher at my school, and a student I tutor all had dengue, living in Puerto Plata and Santiago. All were hospitalized and were ok after a week or two, although if not caught quickly, it can be deadly.

cmh111

Feb 19, 2010
Just returned home to the US after a great vaca in Punta Cana. Got bitten twice by mosquito while there. Suspect Dengue Fever and just got blood test to confirm after begging my doc to order it. He didn't think I had it, but according to CDC website I had many of the symptoms. Await results. They did spray for mosquitos at our resort.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I get bitten many times every day and lived here for years.
Yikes - you were unlucky.
I have been told that the dengue mosquitos are the ones with stripes on their back - is this true I wonder.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I get bitten many times every day and lived here for years.
Yikes - you were unlucky.
I have been told that the dengue mosquitos are the ones with stripes on their back - is this true I wonder.

I was told they are the ones with white feet!!!