Banco Popular ATM - A new Fraud

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
After my heart surgery,

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/98187-serious-problems-clinics-good-cardiologist-neurosurgeon.html

I could not go out so my son had to use an ATM to get money as it was a Sunday. Every ATM he tried would not accept the International Visa except Banco Popular in Sosua. After the big fraud there some years ago on their ATM we have always gone into the bank to complete a transaction. But we had no choice but to use it. Guess what? they are at it again. As soon as my son completed the transaction, I called the bank in the UK and Banco Popular had duplicated the transaction. An investigation is underway, but our money has been refunded immediately by the UK bank (Now owned by a US company). This is because of the business I am in, I acted as a "tester" on all banks ATM here to aid with the investigation of many banks in the US etc. when the big fraud was committed before, so that is on my record in the UK. Some went to prison here for that fraud.

I called Banco Popular and as usual they didn't want to know, as the ATMs are not their responsibility. They wouldn't even warn their ex pat clients not to use the ATM as I requested, so hence I am posting this to warn you. These frauds continue to occur with only International Visas, so please be warned, DO NOT use such visas for purchases here. La Sirena is also under investigation in all branches for this problem. Only go inside the banks, if you wish cash. Some of you do not know about this, but some do not listen and you are encouraging this to continue because the ladrons think it is an easy target. This crime is controlled by organized criminal gangs here, not the banks. Cut off their supply. I do hope many of the innocent tourists coming to visit here will find DR1 and read this.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
As soon as my son completed the transaction, I called the bank in the UK and Banco Popular had duplicated the transaction.

This crime is controlled by organized criminal gangs here, not the banks.

Can you elaborate? I guess I'm confused. You say that Banco Popular duplicated the transaction but somehow it was not their doing?

Feb 7, 2007
The Lady is again somewhat confusing us ... first she says she was an incognito investigator for US banks investigating Dominican banks and their ATMs... then she says Banco Popular duplicates the transaction ... then she says Banco Popular could not care less ... then she says it's not the banks but crime rings .... so where does that leave us, International Visa-card holders?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The Lady is again somewhat confusing us ... first she says she was an incognito investigator for US banks investigating Dominican banks and their ATMs... then she says Banco Popular duplicates the transaction ... then she says Banco Popular could not care less ... then she says it's not the banks but crime rings .... so where does that leave us, International Visa-card holders?

Sounds like business must be slow at a certain "Security" firm!

242zkt1.jpg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sounds like business must be slow at a certain "Security" firm!

242zkt1.jpg

Strange that you should mention this Tambo. I had to go to the vet (Dr. Bob) yesterday whose surgery is right next to Coastal Gas station. I noticed that the usual security vehicle was not there & that the name of the security company appears to have been painted over.

As I am 'Red Rag To a Bull' (or whatever the female equivalent is) where Ladybird is concerned, I felt reluctant to be the one to ask the question for fear of the vitriol that might follow.

As others have already recognised, there is confusion from the way the post was written, not the least of which is "Why was the British Bank working on a SUNDAY"?? Or was it the following day (Monday) that LadyBird contacted it - NOT immediately the transaction had been completed??

Stand by for a heavily laced response! ~ Grahame.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
alternative experience

Not that I am saying that people should not be careful, but I use my US VISA debit card often at the Banco Popular ATM here in JD with no problems.

no idea though....

ms. d

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Glad to see that nothing has changed in my old DR1 home.
Ladybird contradicts herself as much as ever and the good folks have the good sense to see through the baloney.
Keep on truckin'.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not that I am saying that people should not be careful, but I use my US VISA debit card often at the Banco Popular ATM here in JD with no problems.

no idea though....

ms. d

Ah well, it might be that since you're not an incognito investigator of Dominican banks you're not being targetted by organised crime gangs here. You've got to admire the dedication of those who put themselves in the danger zone in the line of duty, fearlessly investigating where no ordinary mortal would dare to tread, tirelessly changing the wardrobe of disguises, slipping in and out of foreign accents at ze whim, always 'aving to 'ave two 'eavies for protection, conzulting wiz international experts like Inspector Clouseau, eh bien and zo to anzer rubio eeeguey, where does zat leave us? Up ze Khyber wizout a puss?

Pink Panther Sound Archive

Reactions: Tamborista

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
visa card

apologies first off, i have a problem with my right hand and can only type with left.
1, i have an international visa issued by nationwide u.k.. yes they are open on sundays for telephone calls.
2, my card was cloned earlier this year, first time in 14 years. i do not know if it was cloned here or during a visit back to the u.k. as usual when noticed nationwide blocked my card. i telephoned them and discovered it had been used here by me at lindo supermarket and within 1 hour at a gas station in california for petrol. they accepted that i am not superman and could not possibly have been at both places within an hour. i was not charged for the dozen withdrawals made in california. all for around the equivalent of rd$ 500 !! although usually when blocked my card it is reinstated within 15 minutes. on this occasion they preferred to issue me a new card.
except for lindo and internet purchases i prefer not to use a credit card. now that hifx will allow charge free transactions of as little as pounds sterling 200 i transfer to my u.s. dollar account then withdraw what i want whenever and change it at caribe or western union. no problems, mates.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Ah well, it might be that since you're not an incognito investigator of Dominican banks you're not being targetted by organised crime gangs here. You've got to admire the dedication of those who put themselves in the danger zone in the line of duty, fearlessly investigating where no ordinary mortal would dare to tread, tirelessly changing the wardrobe of disguises, slipping in and out of foreign accents at ze whim, always 'aving to 'ave two 'eavies for protection, conzulting wiz international experts like Inspector Clouseau, eh bien and zo to anzer rubio eeeguey, where does zat leave us? Up ze Khyber wizout a puss?

Pink Panther Sound Archive

zank 'u for 'aking my zay :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
As usual the same idiots make the same silly remarks. This was meant to be a genuine warning. A few years ago a few visitors/residents were scammed by this bank's ATM. Photos were posted on here by a member showing how they did it inside the workings of the ATM machine. It was organised by a criminal gang that worked with the ATM machines. The Banks were not aware of this until the reports came out, as some banks do not operate the ATMs, this is done by an independant company. It was reported in all the press here and abroad when some of the gang were arrested.

Some banks will not allow their ATMs to be used now for International credit cards. It is best to obtain a credit card from a DR bank or go inside the banks to make the transactions. When I have used my Ccard from Banco St Cruz for purchases, I have received a call within minutes afterwards from their security division to ensure it was me using the card. CCard fraud here is increasing, as has been reported by some members, especially at La Sirena in both POP and Santiago and other situs.

The withdrawal we made at Banco Popular in Sosua was duplicated within two minutes. Because of their history I had called my bank in the UK and confirmed this had happened. Their Fraud division has begun investigations. Our Visa from that bank is now owned by an American company, and they reported they had received other complaints of the same nature. So ignore it at your will and listen to those idiots that make these silly remarks about me because of sheer jealousy since my company started and became very successful.
Just be careful, this is another new scam.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As usual the same idiots make the same silly remarks. This was meant to be a genuine warning. A few years ago a few visitors/residents were scammed by this bank's ATM. Photos were posted on here by a member showing how they did it inside the workings of the ATM machine. It was organised by a criminal gang that worked with the ATM machines. The Banks were not aware of this until the reports came out, as some banks do not operate the ATMs, this is done by an independant company. It was reported in all the press here and abroad when some of the gang were arrested. .
Get a grip and get the facts straight for once.
It was I who posted those pix from the ATM at Banco Popular in Sosua, and of course "The Banks" were aware.
Do you think I just took pix and didn't tell them about the problem?
What imaginary world do you live in?
You wonder why you get "silly remarks" from your "genuine warnings"?
Wonder no more.
It is simple.
Allow me to explain.
Do you remember "The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf"?
Just like in the story, you tell non factual stories, and just like in the book, nobody believes you anymore, and if you were to post something that was truly accurate, nobody would believe that either.
You have burned your reputation.
It's nothing personal.
It is mere fact.

B

BettyDiamond

I dont expect the bank could do much if you sent someone else to the atm with your pin number and card