some help with other peoples opinion

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
hey to all my fellow dr1ers. heres my situation after getting my life and finances in order i am finally moving back to my beloved santiago after 20 years here in the states(NYC). heres my problem plain and simple every time i mention something about me going back home to anyone of my friends or family i get the following which im sure all of us have heard at one point: pero tu ta loco ese pais se esta acabando, alla no hay vida ni trabajo, no hay luz, hay mucha delinquensia, tu vuelves en menos de 2 anos, la vida alla no es comoda...etc, etc. i have pretty much ran out of rebutals for all these people that think our country is pretty much at war and no good will come out of me going back. BUT HERES THE KEY. all these people absolutely love it when they come here but say that DR is not a place to live and cant see themselves going back after adjusting to life in the states. makes me so upset that people complaing so much and cant let someone else do their thing. i dont know if its jeolousy or what but its something and was wondering what you guys think about this.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
who cares what other people think?

if you have your finances in order and don't need to depend on the local economy you'll do great.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
yea i know and dont really care what others think. its just that these people are my family and are the ones who are suppose to be behind me wishing me good luck, but its like i told my cuz the other day very sarcastically. that since everyone wants me to fail and return ill come back just to say hi and tell all those people how happy i am and how good im doing.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If you have money saved enough to live here you have 70% of the road covered, the other 30% is to get a hang of how the country works now, since 1989 the country is a lot different.

Have an open eye on the crime, set your house with alarms, and never walk in shady neighborhoods after dark, buy the inverter and if you need the AC get the generator or the more expensive inverter. Don't expect government services to be equally as efficient as in the US and you'll be all set.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
If you have money saved enough to live here you have 70% of the road covered, the other 30% is to get a hang of how the country works now, since 1989 the country is a lot different.

Have an open eye on the crime, set your house with alarms, and never walk in shady neighborhoods after dark, buy the inverter and if you need the AC get the generator or the more expensive inverter. Don't expect government services to be equally as efficient as in the US and you'll be all set.

yea i pretty much got all that covered and i go back every year 2 or 3 times so i know what to expect bout the government.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I wouldn't bother trying to convince anyone else, they usually have their own ideas and no amount of talking will change them

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
joseinoa, first, welcome home :). Secondly, such comments as those you're getting can be depressing but ride above it. They probably want to do the same thing you're doing, but either haven't got themselves organised enough or are too stuck in their US rut & possibly doubt their own abilities to make the move. This isn't about the DR, it's about them not having what it takes. So.........they do the only thing they can (no es mi culpa ;)) & turn it round to tell you you're coming to a hellhole. Well............you're not.

At least they know where the DR is. When we left UK 17 years ago & told people where we were going they all said 'where's that?' :cheeky:.

Apr 3, 2009
Is It Safe?

hey to all my fellow dr1ers. heres my situation after getting my life and finances in order i am finally moving back to my beloved santiago after 20 years here in the states(NYC)...
If you've found a nice place in the DR where you don't have to worry about iron bars on the windows, guard dogs, personal firearms, or security guards, then I say, "to hell with those naysayers."

-BB :bunny:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont think they are trying to distract you from enjoying your move. I think they like life in the US better than compared to life in DR. Visiting is easy because you will always leave. Besides its easier to hype up your successes in the US if no one back home can come and see if it is true. In this matter we are all the Wizard of Oz. But you look me up, I ll be the only dude in Santiago listening to American rap music who doesnt have on a super tight pair of skinny jeans.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
now you are la rica

I think that you might try this approach--

"Well you may be right. Perhaps I will be back in two years.But, you know, you are talking about life among los pobres and now I am firmly clasa media and will be able to life there without worries. Life is actually cheaper there. Food is fresher and better. The weather is certainly better. They say that the private hospitals and doctors are good as well. Anyway, I am going to try it and see if I can do it. If I can, then you too can follow me for a comfortable retirement. If not, well, I will be back in a couple of years."

you are being a pioneer-.-- just like the rest of us ex pats.

welcome!

all is lost

Nov 18, 2006
Tell your friends and family that you want to go to heven when you pass on, so now you have to spend your time in purgatory.:paranoid: