Parasites? Parasitism?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I seem to remember [?] that DR1 had an article, blog, or resource of some kind dealing with parasites & appropriate medications, both in the DR.
* But, . . where? I can't find it, assuming that my [failing] memory is correct. Can anyone assist me? Reccomended medications & frequencies?

* Easiest to visit a farmacia & simply ask? Thank you.
* The reasons for my current curiosity should be obvious.

Feb 7, 2007
In a pharmacy ask for a "desparasitante" with albendazole or mebendazole.

1 tablet every 12 hours for 3 days.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I take Zentel twice a year as a preventative - 2 tablets per day for 3 days. As mentioned about, it is albendazol.

Comes in in red/yellow/white two pack at any farmacia.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The best suggestion is to visit a doctor if there is parasitic infestion. A doctor is in the best position to diagnose and prescribe the proper medication.

Regards,
PJT

Mar 2, 2008
But, it's probably a good guess, since they are very common here.

As Drro mentioned, Zentel can be used as a preventative and as a precaution, as well as a cure. So, even if you might not be sure of their presence, it won't hurt to take Zentel, just in case.

Or you can skip off to see a doctor, but that is your decision. For me, the fewer doctors I see the better I feel.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
what works for me

Parful is the brand name. One tablet one day works against both styles of parasites. You know when you have the infestation, no need to see a Dr. If you are really interested you can bring a stool sample to the lab in Charamicos and they will tell you exactly what you have. For me its usually the result of uncooked vegetables or salads that did not get rinsed in chlor.
When I am careful using the chlor rinse I do not get sick. Albertos Farmacia has Parful. Good luck

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Thank you!!

So many relevant, comprehensible, & well informed responses.
* I sense years, perhaps decades, or collective gastric disturbances. & no complaints!! I can't believe it.
* If 1 chooses to live in the 3rd World, 1 must accept the negative aspects of 3rd World life! Quietlly. Graciously. With gratitude.
* I am grateful to all of you. La paz sea contigo!

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks for asking, jr. As the x-rays indicated, there was little up there to shake up.

The good looks were questionable before, and remain so now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my advice is to thorough: if you take zentel so should your parner and kids. also dogs and cats if you have them - netecan is a great animal deparasitante.
other than that - watch your poo, to put it boldly. you can see some of the parasites and see the effect of others (presence of blood, mucus, diarrhea, unusual colour etc).
positive note: you get aclimatized eventually and no more gastric issues :)

Aug 21, 2007
I am not a doctor, nor a nurse, but I work a free medical clinic that serves the poorest of poor, who are plagued with parasites. We have a couple of simple preventative measures that also work as remedies sometimes.

First, every morning and night, on an empty stomach, take 2 tablespoons full of apple cider vinegar. You can mix it with water and honey, if that makes it more tolerable for you. (This worked like magic for me after only 2 doses.)

Second, drink or use soy milk on cereal. It takes care of a different kind of parasite.

We recently had a woman who wasn't able to eat anything for 22 days. Soy mile and protein, along with sulfa (watch if you have drug allergies) and in 10 days, she went from almost dead to full of life.

Another case was a young boy. We took him for blood work. They asked if they could use some of the blood they didn't need to test to type him, as he was severely anemic, was passing blood, and his body was consuming healthy blood cells. They were sure he would need a transfusion. We gave him protein packs and soy milk. A week later, this boy was so full of life, he was a nuisance.

Either soy milk or cider vinegar are worth a try as an ounce of prevention. They are inexpensive and healthy, if nothing else.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right Lindsey.

I got that exact advice from Dr Bob - the vet in Sosua. Unfortunately, that was after a $500 visit to a specilaist in NYC where I was preceded by someone from the Discovery Channel preparing to search for Dr Livingstone, I presume.
The apple cider vinegar is also a substitiute for exercise..... taking it tricks your body into producing all the same secretions/enzymes as vigorous exercise. (So Dr Bob says )
Cancel that gym membership !!