Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for holding the door... NOT!

This may be related to the personal space thing that I know has been discussed ad nauseum, but I find it very rare for someone to hold the door for me as I enter a store/office/bank etc. They just let the door close in my face. I also find it common that people will crowd the entrances or aisles of a store an make absolutely no attempt to move out of the way when I try to pass.

Am I just being hyper-sensitive? Has anyone else noticed this? It just seems to contradict my experiences with regard to the exchange of pleasantries. Dominicans are quick to exchange hellos' and how are you's. But God forbid they try to move out of your way.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I get doors held open for me but then I'm a woman and more importantly I think I now rate as 'elderly' in local eyes and I've always found people extremely respectful of age. As to moving crowds..........you get creative. A few well chosen words like 'Fire' 'Rape' 'Earthquake' 'Cash given free aisle 4' and you shouldn't have any problem. Mind you if you have the reputation of having no control over your own trolley, people WILL get out of your way. Just impersonate Jacques Tati (if you remember Monsieur Hulot) and make sure your trolley has a life of its own and they will move, either because they don't want to be collided with or because...........they think you're stark, staring bonkers .

A little eccentricity goes a long way here...........

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

why should someone move out of the way if they were there first- its a rather English concept to always assume you are in the way and apologise to everyone around for even being in the supermarket in the first place

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    why should someone move out of the way if they were there first- its a rather English concept to always assume you are in the way and apologise to everyone around for even being in the supermarket in the first place
    Umm.... thanks for your useless comment. I'm referring to basic human kindness here. I find it common for people to totally block doorways and aisles for no other reason than "they were there first". But that doesn't justify doing so. So I'm just supposed to stand there for five minutes until they decide to move there ass out of the way? What bothers me is that they see me there and it's obvious I need to get by but they don't even make an attempt to make a little room.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    ... What bothers me is that they see me there and it's obvious I need to get by but they don't even make an attempt to make a little room.
    Do you have enough Spanish to say "Pardon me" or "Excuse me"? Most people will respond to that by moving aside for you...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading a thread posted a couple of years ago.

To me, I think Rocky explained it perfectly. Dominicans are like children. This understanding has helped me immensely with my integration into this country. I have integrated as far as I feel comfortable, without compromising my own values, culture and upbringing. I am not a child, but I live in a kindergarden!

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/581...nsiderate.html

Post Thanks / Like

Trolleys blocking the supermarket aisle are a common annoyance, I agree, but the only way to deal with it is to smile sweetly and say "con permiso" firmly, and they will move out of your way.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pride of Creation

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    _ but they don't even make an attempt to make a little room.
    Unless you say "permiso" they won't move.
    Creation's crowning glory attitude.

donP

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

.......or keep pushing the trolley and take theirs with you lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i also use the 'i've lost control of my trolley' and sometimes give a little nudge, when my patience and politeness have left me. but then i can smile and look surprised and point at my son......evil wench, i know, but we generally get a good laugh and they ruffle his hair, which he despises. I am then forced to buy him sweets for his participation in the guise, but he gets the deal now.

d

p.s. i really don't think it's intentionally inconsiderate, i think it's more that childish self-centeredness that they just exist in their own little world. Unlike us americans, who seem to apologize persistently for doing nothing at all, which is probably far less normal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast