Bogus Ford Ad - DR CAFTA and Automobiles

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I saw this advertisement today:

Pagina Principal - Grupo Viamar

Other investigations on this board have shown that DR-CAFTA does not provide special treatment to American made cars. An Ad like this is apparently bogus. Anybody have other information?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you Dr. Guzman. There was quite a bit of confusion that led me to believe that DR CAFTA excluded automobiles. If it really does reduce the duty from US made cars to zero, while all other imported vehicles pay a duty and the same taxes and fees apply to all vehicles imported, then a US car should have a pricing advantage.

Jan 9, 2004
I too am now confused because...

the information I received from one of Fabio's lawyers was that "at the last minute cars were pulled from DR-CAFTA." Supposedly this info came after a meeting between Customs and someone from Fabio's office.

I do know that if it somehow does include American made automobiles, your chances of bringing in a used American auto are slim. You would need to provide a 1) Certificate of Origin (this is not the title), showing it was manufactured in the US, AND 2) evidence the car content has not been altered in such away that it now has more foreign component parts, as a percentage, than allowed under the applicable Rules of Origin. In English, that the vehicle that once had parts that were made in the USA, now has parts that were made elsewhere (think component parts that may have been changed or added because of an accident/customization etc. A very heavy burden indeed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thank you Dr. Guzman. There was quite a bit of confusion that led me to believe that DR CAFTA excluded automobiles. If it really does reduce the duty from US made cars to zero, while all other imported vehicles pay a duty and the same taxes and fees apply to all vehicles imported, then a US car should have a pricing advantage.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Things will change??

The only thing we can be certain of at this point (imho) is that there is no way any brand of cars will be less expensive in the future no matter where they are manufactured.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THE dr GOVERNMENT Uses The "Tax-Borrow,& Spend" Form Of Government!

It Is Like Bernie Madoff is in charge of the Finance office. Just like all "Ponzi" scams,this one will eventually implode!
Cris Colonccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc