Residence card, is it really necessary?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Many times here, people inquire about the procedures, costs, the time involved, and the recommemendations of a good attorney and other questions pertaining to a Residence card.
But I don?t remember anyone asking exactly what the pros and cons are of having one, or the penalties of not having one. Considering the cost of hiring an attorney, would it just be cheaper to pay a larger exit fee instead of a constant annual renewal? Everything I have done here requiring I.D., bank accounts, utilities, credit, I have been asked for my cedula, never, not once did anyone even care to look at my residence card. When I would put it in front of them, they didn?t even understand what it was. I am just wondering if the aggravation of getting one justifies having one and If you are not setting up a business, do you really need one?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Many times here, people inquire about the procedures, costs, the time involved, and the recommemendations of a good attorney and other questions pertaining to a Residence card.
But I don?t remember anyone asking exactly what the pros and cons are of having one, or the penalties of not having one. Considering the cost of hiring an attorney, would it just be cheaper to pay a larger exit fee instead of a constant annual renewal? Everything I have done here requiring I.D., bank accounts, utilities, credit, I have been asked for my cedula, never, not once did anyone even care to look at my residence card. When I would put it in front of them, they didn?t even understand what it was. I am just wondering if the aggravation of getting one justifies having one and If you are not setting up a business, do you really need one?

So how do you get a Cedula without a residence card? You don't. I'm sure whatever your country of Origin is, you prefer the immigrants to be legal.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
So how do you get a Cedula without a residence card? You don't.

Actually, when I hired an attorney in the capital she did all the paperwork at one time and after my medical tests and photos, she later went with me and she did all the talking. I was then given the cedulla and the residence card was given to me later. I never knew what was necessary for what and what order. I just figured the residance card took more time. My friends in the capital arranged it and the attorney didn't speak any English. If I had realised that the residence card was necessary for the cedula, I never would have started this thread.

Mar 2, 2008
Waytogo, I think you will several differing opinions on that question. It all depends upon what your particular situation is.

I will give you my take on it, but you might have completely different needs.

I decided to get the residency visa. It is a two year process, and then needs to be renewed every two years.

I hired an attorney to help handle the process. While I recommend hiring a lawyer, you should know that it can be done without one. The cost of the attorney is a lot, in my opinion. $2,000 US, but it probably saved me much aggravation.

I'm not really sure what prompted me to get the visa, but I guess I just like to do things legally and above board. When I look at the cost/benefit picture, it doesn't make much sense. I could pay the small fines when taking a trip home many times over with what I spent on lawyer fees alone.

What did I gain? Well, I'm not really sure. I am asked for my cedula periodically, but I could use my US passport in most of those instances. It's nice to have on some occasions, but I haven't ever felt it was an absolute necessity.

If I had to do it over again now, I think I would re-think my decision. At times, I'm glad I have it, but it really doesn't amount much more than another piece of paper.

Just my dos pesos.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
As Bob Saunders states, you can't get the cedula without the residance card, and I do have a definite need for the cedula.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Money is all that matters (to them).

_ do you really need one?

Unless you have a business here, want to work, need a gun permit or a driver's licence, you could live here without a residency.
Legally?
I think so, yes.
Once you leave this country they collect a fee from you.
17,000 RD$ at most (for a stay of 5 years and more).

donP

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Can I renew my cedula without renewing my residance card ?

They are not renewed at the same office or time. Cedulas are good for 7 years, and residency for 2

both cost about 2000rd to renew now

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
  • Residency makes you legal here if you plan to stay longer than 3 months at once.
  • It will also give you access to a local drivers license, which you will need to be covered by any liability insurance in case of a crash after 3 months.
  • Residency give you the right to work or accept work.
  • Residency will give you unfettered access to the "legal system", you may file a suit without having to go thru additional hurdles like posting a deposit, etc.
  • Depending on the country you are from, permanent residency status in the DR can be used to move or moves your fiscal "home" to the Dominican Republic (you are taxable in the DR).
You do NOT need a residence card to buy real estate or buy and/or put a vehicle to your name. I am am not mistaken you can also incorporate as a non resident.

... J-D.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
you can't have a cedula without residency. if you have it, its a mistake or an angle of some kind and isn't sustainable.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
you can't have a cedula without residency. if you have it, its a mistake or an angle of some kind and isn't sustainable.

Thank you, I was thinking about canceling my Tuesday appointment with my attorney and just proceed with the cedula, but now I won't.