Marijuana

Nov 25, 2009
I have been doing some research about marijuana in the DR but all of the posts I have found have been several years old. What is the current legality of marijuanna in the DR? What is the cost of an ounce? I know people who use it in the US as it is recommended by their doctors for certain medical conditions. I have a friend who smokes a little each night before he goes to bed to alleviate back pain. Would this be a bad idea in the DR if it was done in private and not talked about in public?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Would this be a bad idea in the DR if it was done in private and not talked about in public?

Extremely bad idea. You would be obtaining it in the DR I presume as opposed to importing (which is an even worse idea)? Your supplier could shop you to the police, unless it was a maverick police officer who was the supplier in which case he could report you, too. It isn't just the illegality, it's all the scams you are putting yourself at risk of by, among others, law enforcement.

If you have a painful medical condition use prescribed medication or Brugal.

Nov 25, 2009
My thoughts are that if he were to visit for an extended period of time he would more than likely find some growing somewhere nearby. Locating it more than likely will not be a problem after his first trip because surely some seeds will have found their way into the soil. The main part in question is how much it sells for? and What are the laws about it, and what are the punishments?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
I have been doing some research about marijuana in the DR but all of the posts I have found have been several years old. What is the current legality of marijuanna in the DR? What is the cost of an ounce? I know people who use it in the US as it is recommended by their doctors for certain medical conditions. I have a friend who smokes a little each night before he goes to bed to alleviate back pain. Would this be a bad idea in the DR if it was done in private and not talked about in public?

too late for that maybe?? if i had such inclination and especially coming from phoenix i would look at going to mexico instead. didn't they just legalize small ammounts?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
you're not getting it. drugs are culturally frowned on here with big punishments. go to another island instead

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
What is the definition of a prescribed medicine for an illness?
I was in Canada a few weeks back and heard of people legally growing and supplying to customers who actually have a doctors prescription.
It seems it has much safer side effects than the traditional pain killing drugs the Pharmacuetical companies encourage doctors sell to their patients-which literally kills them slowly from the inside out.
The Marajuana laws are definitely under review for acceptance in many countries, i believe Mexico already and posibly Argentine soon.
Now when it comes the corrupt DR where there is no solid, sane legal system--yes what makes sense here doesnt, so you could get victimized by all kinds (as mentioned above) trying to self medicate in this manner.

Mar 2, 2008
You do not want to be caught with any illicit drug in the DR. The penalties are stiff, and any time spent in a Dominican jail is like time spent in hell.

Just get this idea out of your mind. You are flirting with a situation you obviously know absolutely nothing about.

I repeat, for the hearing impaired or for those who refuse to listen, "You DO NOT want to get caught with any illicit drug in the DR." This is not a joke, and not something yopu want to fool around with.

Nov 25, 2009
Yes, it is much safer and much more effective with little to no side effects. It can be purchased and used legally in about 13 states at the moment. Regardless, thanks for answering my question about it being legal or not. Now, what is the punishment if caught with it? And what is the cost if purchased on the street?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
More expensive than the USA. Then again, it all depends on who you know and what risks you're prepared to take when buying.

One joint might get you 10 years in a DR jail. Unless you have deep pockets, maybe US$15-20,000 to buy your way out. Could be longer, because it could take years before you ever get to see a judge.

Are you getting the picture yet? Hello?????

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
More expensive than the USA. Then again, it all depends on who you know and what risks you're prepared to take when buying.

One joint might get you 10 years in a DR jail. Unless you have deep pockets, maybe US$15-20,000 to buy your way out. Could be longer, because it could take years before you ever get to see a judge.

Are you getting the picture yet? Hello?????

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Truly hard to fathom why you still persist particularly since you have already in the few posts you have posted, given away quite a bit of information which identifies you. I won't answer your question about cost on the street but recent foreigners arrested have been getting between 7-10 years for a first offence.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/85638-canadian-puerto-plata-jail.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/80319-drug-mules-travelling-children-6.html

and as Robert says, that's after your case gets heard which could take a looong time. Don't expect your Embassy to push for an early hearing.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They Need You.

What is the current legality of marijuanna in the DR?

Zero.
But you'd be welcomed by the police, the fiscal and the judge.
They are all fed up and frustrated not getting a big 'mordida' from those poor drug users they deal with.
You'll get a special treatment, gringo.
Bienvenido.

donP

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Everything that was said here was true, for the most part. But truth of the matter is Marijuana is extremely popular here, and readily available. Basically you can get the stuff anywhere, even at your local gym. For those of you who don't believe me, head to Body Shop Gym, in SD, and open your eyes a bit.

As for being culturally unacceptable, that's BS. Smoking a J or doing a line, especially among the higher class is no longer that taboo. Will they have a special "4/20" day here, wear Bob Marley paraphernalia, or go to a weed fest? No. Image is still everything. But there are such things, especially in SD, as drug parties. Like I said, you keep your eyes open and the stuff is all around you.

Those who are a bit younger, or have traveled a bit, are much more opened minded to these things. Drugs are concentrated in the barrios, and has that "poverty" stigma, but there is also a double standard when it comes to drugs in the DR. Chastise it in public, smoke your doobie in private. If you are 40+ and live in a bubble you will look at this and say, "Oh, he is so wrong."

How much does it cost? Well, as always that will depend on the supplier and the "risk" he/she will take to supply you. Most small dealers will supply ounces and nothing less. They give you as much as they can, so they don't have to meet you as many times. Also, dealers will only come through referrals. There are also drug delivers in SD, especially in the Gazcue area. These are basically taxi drivers that make home deliveries. It is very common is SD. For those who don't know what they are looking for, then of course SD might seem "prude" when it comes to drugs. My suggestions: Open your eyes.

The risk is high. This is true, as many times, you can be sold out, by the supplier or snitches. You can spend a lot if time in jail and all that good stuff. But at the end of the day, weed is prevalent, easy to get to and it's everywhere. Dominicans aren't as scared of the stuff as DR1ers make it seem. Coke, Ex and basically anything you want is at your fingertips.

Things in the DR have changed....

Mr. Lu

Reactions: Bronxboy

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've certainly smelt it everywhere in the DR. I come from an area where it is more common than beer and used by 70% of the population at one time or another. I agree with Mr Lu- much more common than you think.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
The first time I was in the DR in a resort, there were a lot of hotel employees (timeshare, groundspeople, waiters, animacion) pushing weed. A few people that were with our wedding group met up with these dealers. Coke and weed were purchased, easily with no consequences. I was told the Coke is cheap, but the weed is garbage. I wouldn't really know the difference. The buyers were told to consume their purchases within the resort and not to get caught smoking weed on the beach! Apparently the cops that patrol the beaches have zero tolerance. All drugs are readily available in most resorts, apparently this is how a lot of the employees make cash on the side.
This post was not meant to annoy or contradict. But there are drugs in the DR. LOTS of drugs. You just have to know where to look.
With that said, being caught with drugs carries a stiff penalty, I'm not sure what that penalty is, but I can live without knowing, thankyouverymuch! This is not the place that I would want to start experimenting!

Mar 2, 2008
Look, the question I am concerned with is not whether the use of that substance is wide-spread or not, but rather, what are the possible repercussions.

If you only consider what might or might not be partaken here you are missing 90% of the picture. Just because a certain percentage may or may not partake of the substance in question does not mean it is acceptable to do so.

The reasonable people here are trying to relay a clear message that if you partake of this substance in the DR you are taking a tremendous risk.

If you choose to take that risk, knowing exactly what the consequences are, then that is your business, but to imply there are no consequences is unconscionable.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
But there are such things, especially in SD, as drug parties. Like I said, you keep your eyes open and the stuff is all around you.

Those who are a bit younger, or have traveled a bit, are much more opened minded to these things. Drugs are concentrated in the barrios, and has that "poverty" stigma, but there is also a double standard when it comes to drugs in the DR. Chastise it in public, smoke your doobie in private. If you are 40+ and live in a bubble you will look at this and say, "Oh, he is so wrong."

The double standard is the key, which is why the judge who might be a user in private, will issue a maximum permitted sentence to the gringo criminal in particular because that makes him look, shall we say, whiter than the driven snow :cheeky:.

On the north coast drugs are not concentrated in the barrios necessarily - these are merely the locations where many puntos are. It is equally possible to go to a business type middle class party and walk in and fine the lines already cut on a table..........and this can happen to you if you are 40+ by the way :ermm:.

If you choose to take that risk, knowing exactly what the consequences are, then that is your business, but to imply there are no consequences is unconscionable.

Unfortunately it isn't just the business of the user. You can bet that if a foreigner gets caught & detained, they will yell for their Embassy or Consular representative, so it means yet more work for the Consul when their time could be better spent helping a visitor or expat who is innocent/in a serious accident/victim of assault or theft. And you can also bet that the detained drug user will complain if their Consul can't wave a magic wand to get them sprung, which they can't, that they 'aren't doing enough to help'.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have been to many parties but never seen drugs. maybe i do not go out enough ;)
as to growing the stuff - i am pretty sure pot would like DR climate :) and if i have ever seen it in someone's garden i did not notice. but then again i would not recognize marijuana plant even if it was used to spank my bottom ;)