Puerto Plata 2 Las Terrenas Driving (Did Search... Seems Outdated)

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Ok... had a change of plans. No way am i doing an 8-10 hour drive to punta cana. But 4 hours would be reasonable. I have driven to the capital from POP before. Also did the south west trip to perdinales. Just need some updated info. The search may be outdated and there was some confusing info. Maybe because of the new highway and what not.

Need to know the best driving route from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas and approximate time frame. The search had different info. One time frame was 2 1/2 hours... another 4 hours. Also someone said that a 4x4 was necessary because of the condition of roads. Is this still the case. Thanks.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It will be a 3.5-4 hour trip. The road is in poor condition in some places, but you should do ok with out 4 wheel drive. Just be carful of the pot holes. Head east on route 5 (main road out of PP toward Cabarete) and stay on it till the LT turn off. Then a very very steep hill to drive over into LT. The road here and in LT itself also are not the greatest.

Bob K

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
BTW, the turnoff for LT will be once you're in the Samana Peninsula, after the town of Sanchez. You will have passed Nagua, then the airport and the entrance to the highway for SD, then Sanchez. This road is a little tricky, over a mountain, so try to make sure you take it in the daytime, but it's not that bad, and it's very scenic...once you're in LT it can be a little confusing to get to your hotel, but you can ask for directions, or use a map or GPS ;)

As Bob said, I would allow for 3.5-4 hours, but you could make it in 3 hours or less if you push it.