Promoting Musicians

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Hello I have a question.

I am promoting two great guys with their music. We already recorded a couple of songs and made one video. You can watch it here: YouTube - Carlos & Delphys 809 Me Olvide De Ti Bachata Dominicana

My questions are. How does the Dominican Music Industry work? Are there any International Labels here in the Dominican Republic? Does anyone know tips for promotion? How to get the songs to play in the radio Stations? or TV Chanels? Thanks for any help

Michael

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Hello I have a question.

I am promoting two great guys with their music. We already recorded a couple of songs and made one video. You can watch it here: YouTube - Carlos & Delphys 809 Me Olvide De Ti Bachata Dominicana

My questions are. How does the Dominican Music Industry work? Are there any International Labels here in the Dominican Republic? Does anyone know tips for promotion? How to get the songs to play in the radio Stations? or TV Chanels? Thanks for any help

Michael

who's got the money in the DR to pay to see your musicians. Recordings mean nothing, i can record a dog and that doesnt mean he will sell. You say they're great! Well the market will determine that! I think the biggest problem you face is 'who will have the money to buy their CD's and who will be able to pay to see them perform. Which is where the $$$ are now ie in concerts NOT cd's ... given ppl download everything for nuttin'

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
Michael, the problems the other poster posted r not problems..this copuntry is all about exporting its musical talents and the locals make a KILLING here touring the country...ppl that have any knowledge of the music industry here know these guys have some talent..check your messages on your profile page n get back to me if u like..

Adrian

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
I like the music! I agree when it comes to money for concerts - it can be found. concerts costing 7 - 8 - 900 pesos are heavily attended for the right groups.

Feb 7, 2007
I have checked out youtube video, the purely bachata part is good; but I don't like them mixing bachata with reggaeton.... the final impression is : what's this? It sounds more like reggaeton with bacahata music ...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK...I'm not an expert, but know a little of bit about this. Basically it goes like this. To have a hit obviously you need a lot of radio / TV play. Unless you're a very recognized artist (i.e. Anthony Santos) to get your music played on the radio you need to have deep pockets to pay a ton of "Payola". I read somewhere that on average you have to pay each radio station about 12,000 pesos a month to play your song, so for instance in Santiago there are about 10 main radio stations that would be about 120k monthly just to get airplay in that particular city...You can extrapolate from there to the whole country and pretty soon your costs are in the millions.

They also pay businesses such as car washes, clubs, bars, etc...to play the song. In addition you also have to pay about 5,000 pesos a month to the DJ who'll play your song....tons of costs.

To recoup those costs the groups tour like crazy around the country as there's no money in CD sales in The DR...But the catch 22 of course is that to be on tour you need to have a few hits constantly playing, because nobody is going to pay to go see you play the one popular song you may have.

There are of course international labels such as Sony, Universal, etc...who have signed some of the most popular artists. For instance Anthony Santos signed with Premium Latin Music for a million USD not very long ago (Of course he's the 800 lbs gorilla of Bachata music).

Bottom line promoting is easy if you have deep pockets. If not you better find some very creative ways to do this.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
yes i heard that, that's why i try to find creative ways. For example i ordered 500 USB sticks. I want to put the videos and their songs on them i giove them to Djs for free maybe they play the songs then. I am also on myspace and try to build a social network to promote them.

Delphys 809 y Carlos on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

How can i get my guys in big discos to play for free? maybe that could help

thanx for your opinions

Michael:ermm:

Feb 7, 2007
I could put you in touch with several club owners in Higuey, if you do a free performance promo, they might accept it. But most likely you would need to bring your own equipment (as all the performers do).

Feb 7, 2007
Send me 5-6 good quality DVD's via Metro to Higuey (details in PM) and I will get your band playing in local TV stations.