ok to wear wedding ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitowngirl

Nov 30, 2009
I'm travelling to Cabarete 12/4 with my husband and staying at a non-AI. I've been reading a lot security while we're there; we both live/work in an urban area with not great crime rates and have pretty good common sense when it comes to living/travelling.

My question is: is it safe to wear my wedding and engagement rings while we're there? Wedding band is a 1.5ct diamond eternity band and engagement ring is 1.0ct diamond solitaire. Not considered big/flashy where we live, but I want to make sure it's not going to make me a "come rob me, I'm rich" target while we're in DR.

Thanks in advance! And thanks to everyone who posted on the "How to Be Safer in the DR" thread - the words of wisdom are highly appreciated!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
My woman who's Dominican doesn't wear her gold earrings when she goes to town and most women don't here.
That was one of the first things I noticed when I arrived in this country.
Reckon that should answer your question.

I'm travelling to Cabarete 12/4 with my husband and staying at a non-AI. I've been reading a lot security while we're there; we both live/work in an urban area with not great crime rates and have pretty good common sense when it comes to living/travelling.

My question is: is it safe to wear my wedding and engagement rings while we're there? Wedding band is a 1.5ct diamond eternity band and engagement ring is 1.0ct diamond solitaire. Not considered big/flashy where we live, but I want to make sure it's not going to make me a "come rob me, I'm rich" target while we're in DR.

Thanks in advance! And thanks to everyone who posted on the "How to Be Safer in the DR" thread - the words of wisdom are highly appreciated!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
My wife doesn't wear jewlery here. She does wear a plain wedding band. We live here and have never had a problem. It's safe in most places, but you don't want to be a target. Your married and a wedding band shows it. Leave the diamonds at home. One less thing to worry about. Have a great time.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yes, leave the bling home, if you consider a 1.5 ct eternity band bling!

terrible tambo'

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You both know you are married. Just enjoy your vacation together.

Do not wear!!!!

Enough said!!

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all family of miesposo wears rings, chains and bracelets: gold, silver, plantinum and gems. no problem. but then they drive everywhere and do not hang out on a beach or in bars. when i go out i put on my bling as well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been going to DR since 1975, and I always leave most of my jewelry at home. I wear my grandmother's old plain gold wedding band. No bracelets. A simple gold necklace, plain gold hoops that could be costume but aren't. A cheap quartz watch - I leave the good ones home. [once I left a Timex watch in my bathroom at our house after I washed my hands, and when we got back it was gone - we had just arrived and went to the supermarket, leaving 'trusted' people there to clean and set up the house]

I also leave the designer handbags home - just bought myself a small black Buxton organizer crossbody handbag on HSN for my trip this month. Holds quite a bit and leaves my hands free. I do see Dominican women in SD with Coach and Louis Vuitton bags, etc., but why ask for trouble?

It's bad enough that I'm a gringa who sticks out everywhere I go, I don't ask for trouble. As I get older I feel more vulnerable too, can't run as fast as I used too :cheeky: Of course, I'm surrounded by Dominicans everywhere I go, including the campo. My husband is always with me and he's intimidating to some people so I always feel safe. But sometimes they think he's a gringo too - the clothes, the sunburn, me with him, etc.

Not one incident in 34 years [except that watch in my own house which I never saw again], and I think that's because we downplay, are careful and use our 'street smarts'.

Leave the diamonds home - I wouldn't even wear CZ there.

AE

Jun 18, 2007
I've been going to DR since 1975, and I always leave most of my jewelry at home. I wear my grandmother's old plain gold wedding band. No bracelets. A simple gold necklace, plain gold hoops that could be costume but aren't. A cheap quartz watch - I leave the good ones home. [once I left a Timex watch in my bathroom at our house after I washed my hands, and when we got back it was gone - we had just arrived and went to the supermarket, leaving 'trusted' people there to clean and set up the house]

I also leave the designer handbags home - just bought myself a small black Buxton organizer crossbody handbag on HSN for my trip this month. Holds quite a bit and leaves my hands free. I do see Dominican women in SD with Coach and Louis Vuitton bags, etc., but why ask for trouble?

It's bad enough that I'm a gringa who sticks out everywhere I go, I don't ask for trouble. As I get older I feel more vulnerable too, can't run as fast as I used too :cheeky: Of course, I'm surrounded by Dominicans everywhere I go, including the campo. My husband is always with me and he's intimidating to some people so I always feel safe. But sometimes they think he's a gringo too - the clothes, the sunburn, me with him, etc.

Not one incident in 34 years [except that watch in my own house which I never saw again], and I think that's because we downplay, are careful and use our 'street smarts'.

Leave the diamonds home - I wouldn't even wear CZ there.

AE

Good advice not to wear CZ. The thing is that the locals think of the "Gringos" as being rich so when they see a CZ they might think it's real and it still can cause you problems.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hey, besides being a victim of a crime, you can lose it.

Leave them home. Just embrace each other and the Dominican Republic.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you make it seem like DR is the capital of crime and any jewelery will be snatched off along with body parts as soon as it is spotted by evil dominicans. DR is a place like all the others, why have "better watch" when you never wear it? or any jewelery, for that matter, if it only sits in your safe?
if you go to the barrio wearing as much gold as xmas tree you will get robbed, yes. but you can safely walk the street wearing a gold wedding ring without the fear that some savage will jump at you with a machete in his hands.

Caz

May 15, 2004
dv8 - thank you for a breath of sense in the middle of all this lunacy!!

Jun 18, 2007
C'mon you guys are comparing apples with pears. If you wear a wedding band than there's a lot less change that they'll rob you than when you wear a diamond ring. Furthermore when one wears a gold chain or gold earrings those are easy to be taken away from you and that's what the thieves are looking for.
Hence my ex secretary her husband while in his car was robbed of his silver chain!!! They're like the crows looking for anything that glitters!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
C'mon you guys are comparing apples with pears. If you wear a wedding band than there's a lot less change that they'll rob you than when you wear a diamond ring. Furthermore when one wears a gold chain or gold earrings those are easy to be taken away from you and that's what the thieves are looking for.
Hence my ex secretary her husband while in his car was robbed of his silver chain!!! They're like the crows looking for anything that glitters!!!

You're right Frank, my husband's brother, a big Dominican guy, had someone on a motorbike reach right into his car and tear a gold chain from his neck. Pulled so hard it cut the back of his neck before breaking. Scooted away before anyone could react. On the flipside, my husband never removes a heavy gold chain and crucifix, and never has had a problem there [of course it's inside his shirt and usually doesn't show]. But when he goes into the ocean he takes it off and hands it to me to put around MY neck - and there I sit under the coconut trees and umbrella all alone.:ermm: Course, I'm really not alone, we almost always go to the same beach [Cocolandia in Palenque] and everyone knows us.

Status
Not open for further replies.