Skin tone fixation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaLaDivina

Nov 30, 2009
In the Dominican Republic there are several different names for the various shades of skin color. Indio lavado, indio claro, blanco jipato, etc. The historical mentality is the whiter the better. In India it's the same way but even more so, or at least it seems that way, because skin whitening creams such as "Fair and Lovely" are very popular there. How is it that the DR is not so big on the skin whitening creams the way India is? Not including Sammy Sosa's "skin rejuvenation treatments" by the way.

Please don't be offended; that's not my intention. I'm doing a research paper and a presentation on racial views in the DR and, as part of it, wanted to look into comparisons with other countries. It's already been stated that some Dominicans try to deny their African heritage by straightening their hair, but then I wonder, if Dominicans really do want to be less black, why isn't there a huge demand in the DR for "Fair and Lovely" and other skin whitening creams?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
upper classes and colorism aside, in the DR, unlike in india, we do appreciate a nice, brown, bronze or golden skintone.

i am a morenita and i dont know how many times in my life i have heard "mira que colorsito mas bello" while passing by the average guys. if i had a peso for every time i'd be rich! most popular dominican music also celebrates morenas ("mira esa morena, ay que buena esta!") and indias and prietas.

basically, even though theres a general preference for all things light, we also very much love those indiesita and morenita skintones. we are nowhere near as colorstruck as some make us out to be.

im quite tired of being dominicans being villified when we have some of the best race relations in the world. people can say what they want but we embrace each other and all colors as much as humanly possible, imo. and i say "humanly" because you know being human involves having some kind of questionable biases. its inevitable.

DonnaLaDivina

Nov 30, 2009
upper classes and colorism aside, in the DR, unlike in india, we do appreciate a nice, brown, bronze or golden skintone.

i am a morenita and i dont know how many times in my life i have heard "mira que colorsito mas bello" while passing by the average guys. if i had a peso for every time i'd be rich! most popular dominican music also celebrates morenas ("mira esa morena, ay que buena esta!") and indias and prietas.

basically, even though theres a general preference for all things light, we also very much love those indiesita and morenita skintones. we are nowhere near as colorstruck as some make us out to be.

im quite tired of being dominicans being villified when we have some of the best race relations in the world. people can say what they want but we embrace each other and all colors as much as humanly possible, imo. and i say "humanly" because you know being human involves having some kind of questionable biases. its inevitable.

Then where does the whole concept of "black denial" come from?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
POPNYChic: Very well said...we do have some of the best race relations in the world, and probably one of the most mixed, varied population as well for such a small island.

I think a lot of foreigners misunderstand Dominicans a lot when it comes to this, because we are not very politically correct and they try to apply their own standard / experiences and believe we're being racist, in denial, etc...when that may not be the case at all.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
POPNYChic: Very well said...we do have some of the best race relations in the world, and probably one of the most mixed, varied population as well for such a small island.

I think a lot of foreigners misunderstand Dominicans a lot when it comes to this, because we are not very politically correct and they try to apply their own standard / experiences and believe we're being racist, in denial, etc...when that may not be the case at all.
Bingo!

The primary ones I see/hear making a big deal out of skin color here are PC foreigners. I see/hear very little among Dominicans. Maybe about Haitians, but even that isn't primarily over skin color, there are abundant cultural/social issues well beyond that.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The shades of colors of the world vary as do the shades of rum....and just like rum, there's something to like in every tone. One must remember there are fools in every society; for those who think skin color elevates them, it's the same thought process degrades them....

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Skin Creams

In reply to the OP: I've seen skin lightening creams for sale in every Farmacia and most grocery stores that I've been in. So obviously for some here it is an issue.

May 12, 2005
NotThis****Again.jpg

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
..........Dominicans try to deny their African heritage by straightening their hair........

Hairstyles here change with fashion trends, and not with a deep rooted need to deny African heritage.

The babes in Nigeria also straighten their hair. Do you really think they are trying to deny their heritage?

Yawn.... Another research paper on race. I wish students and researchers in the US would put as much effort trying to tackle REAL issues..... like the cure for cancer, etc.

DonnaLaDivina

Nov 30, 2009
In reply to the OP: I've seen skin lightening creams for sale in every Farmacia and most grocery stores that I've been in. So obviously for some here it is an issue.

Oh, this I did not know. Interesting.

Not that it really matters (I'm just curious), are they Dominican or imported from elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.