skin condition

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I seem to have picked up a skin condition which I cant get rid of - it looks like ecxyma (wrong spelling) on my back, Ihave been told its from some sort of bacteria and have been given dermigen soap and dermizinc liquid ,which does seem to help alot
This is preventing me from wearing my thong on the beach so is there any other sort of ointment I can use- i tried to get something with alchol that kills all known germs, but they tried to send me to the supermarket lol.I think they thought I wanted brugal

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Can you post a picture of it? No thong please.

It could also be a fungus. I think over the counter lotramin clears it up.

Could be psorisis (spelling?). And for that try to find some T-Gel Shampoo.

Depending on how "Dominicanized" you have become, you may want to first try the ever-popular menthol and salt. :ermm:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The best I've ever found is betamethasone dipropionate - brand name is Diprolene. It comes in ointment, cream and lotion, the ointment is the best on the skin, lotion best on the scalp, the cream is so-so. I bring a lot of the ointment down for my husband's brother, it's the only thing that helps his skin problems. I think it's about $30 in Santo Domingo farmacias for a 45 gr tube, but worth every cent. Here it also comes in smaller 15 gr tubes, maybe try a small one first. I get generic prescriptions free here (at least until our insurance changes Jan 1st) so I fill them and bring them down for him.

AE

Mar 2, 2008
Obviously referring to the condition on jr's back, very clearly stated earlier in this thread.

Doesn't anyone start reading these threads from the original post anymore?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
oops I meant it looks like acne -red spots but nothing in the spots pm me for naked shots lol

its just on each side of my back half way down, I got then under my arm last year but managed to get rid of those.

also had shingles last year,which I though this might be again, but turned out not to be according to the doctor.

my humour detector is usually on full blast

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
The best I've ever found is betamethasone dipropionate - brand name is Diprolene. It comes in ointment, cream and lotion, the ointment is the best on the skin, lotion best on the scalp, the cream is so-so. I bring a lot of the ointment down for my husband's brother, it's the only thing that helps his skin problems. I think it's about $30 in Santo Domingo farmacias for a 45 gr tube, but worth every cent. Here it also comes in smaller 15 gr tubes, maybe try a small one first. I get generic prescriptions free here (at least until our insurance changes Jan 1st) so I fill them and bring them down for him.

AE

Thanks AlterEgo. I use something similiar called Betamethasone Valerate. I didn't know I could get Betamethasone in Santo Domingo. Which pharmacy carries it?

JR. I would not go down the Betamethasone road initially, as it is a wicked steriod. Try some over the counter stuff first.

As for my thong comment, .... :paranoid:

Mar 2, 2008
Leave it to jr to start some trouble.

I seem to be a little on edge lately, and for that I apologize.

With all the goings on around here, I must have taken leave of my few remaining senses.

Can someone recommend a certified irony re-calibrator on the north coast. Apparently the one I have been using has been scamming me. Once irony goes on the fritz, one needs a qualified professional to correct it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it can be prurito (spelling?). good meds would be prurix lotion (about 400 pesos), caladril or dermotep (dermotep is the cheapest one).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks AlterEgo. I use something similiar called Betamethasone Valerate. I didn't know I could get Betamethasone in Santo Domingo. Which pharmacy carries it?

JR. I would not go down the Betamethasone road initially, as it is a wicked steriod. Try some over the counter stuff first.

As for my thong comment, .... :paranoid:

Hi Toober - I don't know where my brother-in-law gets it in SD, but I can ask when I see him in a few weeks.

Yes JR, it is a steroid ointment, and works like magic. The pharmacist should give you instructions for use, very thin layer, and you use it less and less....[daily, then every other day, then 3x a week, etc.] I get contact dermatitis on my thumb from time to time, little red itchy bumps, and tried a million things before the diprolene. My brother-in-law swears its the only thing that controls his psorasis [sp??].

AE

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
if it is on each side of your back in kind of a symmetrical way, make sure it does not expand in order to make a circle...

I don't know whether in English it is the same (my studies are a little too long ago for that), but red bumps on symmetrical areas, could indicate the beginning of a "zona". This is a potentially very dangerous infection, which can be treated perfectly by an ointment (which is extremely expensive, I may add)...

So, watch if it spreads, JR, or if in doubt find a good dermatologist...

Hmmmm.... probably totally unnecessary... and useless... but in case of it being lethal... could you ask the funeral director for one of WB piggies???....lol

Good luck... and quick recovery