If you had 100.000 US$, how would you invest them in DR ?

Lesquireau

Jun 29, 2003
jue-walter.de
I was checking last night how much interest the banks in my home country Germany would give me right now. Can you imagine it would be in between 0.5% and 3% mas o meno, depending on the duration of the contract (up to 10 years fixed). The only advantage is that the German state is liable for the whole amount, just in case...Investing in stocks, well, I don't know unless you're an expert...Into Dominican real estate? The market is down and how will the future be? Isn't this republic running down more&more ? ....a certificate at the Banco Central? 8% for a 3-year-period,not bad,but...?http://www.dr1.com/forums/images/smilies/tired.gif

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. banco central offers good rates but
2. 100.000 dollars is no money to speak of.

yes, it is a third world country but 100.000 us dollars won't buy you midas lifestyle with young maidens washing your feet in ambrosia. and monthly interest on that amount will not cover life expenses of a gringo either.

btw, banco central offers better rates on pesos so you'd have to convert the money.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007

yes, it is a third world country but 100.000 us dollars won't buy you midas lifestyle with young maidens washing your feet in ambrosia. and monthly interest on that amount will not cover life expenses of a gringo either.

btw, banco central offers better rates on pesos so you'd have to convert the money.

When was the last time you checked the B.C.'s offerings?:tired::tired:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The Banco Central suspended issuance of new certifcates of deposit three months ago.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
4 Steps to Investing $100k in the DR

Plan the Exit Strategy First!
Step 1. - Set aside $2000usd from the initial $100,000
Step 2. - Use the $2000usd to Purchase a return air ticket and ensure you have enough of the $2k left over for some Presedentie's at the airport bar and the departure tax.
Step 3. - Proceed to lnvest/donate/lose the $98,000
Step 4. - Having lost the $98k - Take the Ticket, goto airport, drink some Presedenties, pay departure tax and Depart.

The End.

Reactions: badpiece33

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Three million

Put it into a CD at Banco popular and live on the beach with 15,000 a month...
Since that is not a lot, Maybe you could spend, oh say a year or so getting you Permanent residence, living very frugally. Once you have your residence you buy a gun and then start loan sharking the rest of your money at 10% a week...In a few months you will have recovered you initial capital and start making money if you are not killed trying to collect your vigorish.

OR you could save 200,000$ and maybe live a modest live in a small town as long as nobody knew you had that kind of money stashed away...and no "mami" got her claws (among other things) into you.

Or you could thing about something else. You could start a fruit stand and peel oranges, you'd make about 2500 or so a week tax free, meet new and interesting people...or a paletera on a good corner...

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did not know BC suspended new CDs. family members have had CDs there for a long time :(

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You might want to think of investing into a hedgefund or mutual fund, some make good returns even in a down market by investing in options and futures. Ask your local bank for an investment broker. There are also securities like Florida Power and Lite which pay about 8% interest.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See//?? Now there is a good, solid answer for you. 8% would be a very good return and in a few years you would have a heft pile..
I think you got our drift that this is no longer an interesting place to risk your capital.
If you were unscrupulous(?) you could make a bundle, but you could get killed doing it..

Be calm. Invest wisely....Some of the risk assessment places are calling Brazil's bonds "investment grade" these days...(Moodys, I think)

Cordially,

HB

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Big brother is watching

Ex pats be very careful what you say online the irs is watching every transaction of money between here and the usa. They demand to be told of every asset over $10,000 now which is now the law. Please say as little as possible online and to the people around you. People can recieve from the IRS as much as 30% of what the IRS collects for informing on you. Sounds like nazi Germany:paranoid:

Reactions: Bronxboy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ex pats be very careful what you say online the irs is watching every transaction of money between here and the usa. They demand to be told of every asset over $10,000 now which is now the law. Please say as little as possible online and to the people around you. People can recieve from the IRS as much as 30% of what the IRS collects for informing on you. Sounds like nazi Germany:paranoid:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?:glasses:

The OP lives in Germany, but you are correct TMI!!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
See//?? Now there is a good, solid answer for you. 8% would be a very good return and in a few years you would have a heft pile..
I think you got our drift that this is no longer an interesting place to risk your capital.
If you were unscrupulous(?) you could make a bundle, but you could get killed doing it..

Be calm. Invest wisely....Some of the risk assessment places are calling Brazil's bonds "investment grade" these days...(Moodys, I think)

Cordially,

HB

Why dispute Brasil rating? They are an emerging economy in the Western Hemisphere. Shoot, by comparison, California and New Jersey are junk status. Who knew the economic powerhouse of the United States is a basketcase? Jersey has over-grown management issues. And due to the debt created by the "Global war on terror" expect a place like Brasil to be a more favorable place to sink money. Hopefully they can use that capital for social improvement. Who knows?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Im sorry, my friend, but yes it will. You can get that maiden washing your feet action on MUCH MUCH less. If you are 30 and you expect 100K to last you until you re 60, nope wont happen. But you can parse yourself 1000bux a month and kick it here...like Midas Jackson, dry clean king of Saint Louis. My friend who is a lawyer has a 3br place in Santiago for 6K(~$170) RDpesos a month, about another K for utilities. I got another friend who paid 180K for a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo. So how can it not be done?

100K? I d look into one of the Heladerias or a car wash.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Plan the Exit Strategy First!
Step 1. - Set aside $2000usd from the initial $100,000
Step 2. - Use the $2000usd to Purchase a return air ticket and ensure you have enough of the $2k left over for some Presedentie's at the airport bar and the departure tax.
Step 3. - Proceed to lnvest/donate/lose the $98,000
Step 4. - Having lost the $98k - Take the Ticket, goto airport, drink some Presedenties, pay departure tax and Depart.

The End.

$2000 for a return ticket? Whoa! Maybe thats why he went out of business? Couldnt negotiate a deal...dont tickets cost about $300-400?