Online Ordering, U.S. Credit Card, HP and other online companies

May 8, 2009
I had some family come and visit me just the other week. Before they came out though, I decided to order a few things online to their house in the U.S. I attempted to order 2 items. One was an extra battery from HP and another was a wireless router from another online seller (which I can't remember the name of right now.) These purchase were attempted with a U.S. credit card in my name and being sent to a U.S. address. Both internet sites (HP and the other one) denied me the purchases. In fact, the HP site advised me to go to a local retailer. I thought that this must be some sort of mistake and so I tried a few more times and with a few other credit cards as well, but to no avail. I have purchased a number of HP products in the past from the DR, with the same credit card and to the same address and it has never been a problem. Since it didn't work, I thought I would just give them a call and see what the problem was. I called using my magic jack and asked them why the sell was denied. They said to call back the next day during the normal hours to get everything worked out, and said my account was locked out. (Apparently you can buy 24/7 but if it doesn't go through then you have to call back from 8-5) I told them that I had never made an account with them and asked what they were talking about. They said the account gets made automatically with the email, etc etc etc... (Even though I never make an account with anyone I buy from online so that my credit card info isn't retained.) So then I say to forget about all the online business and that I wanted to buy a product over the phone, just as anyone else would who doesn't want to do it online. They told me that they couldn't do it! The following day I was able to leave a message to have someone call me back regarding the purchase. When they called me back they said the credit cards were denied.... Then I called the credit card companies that I made the purchases through. They told me (more than one company) that there was no problem with the credit card and that no purchases were not denied. They in fact told me that all of the purchases were authorized but that they were never processed.. I ended up calling my visitors and had them purchase the items from their end without a glitch.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could HP and other companies deny sales based on my IP address?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I had the purchase of a laptop hard drive declined once by Newegg. They routinely refuse based on IP addresses.

May 8, 2009
I had the purchase of a laptop hard drive declined once by Newegg. They routinely refuse based on IP addresses.

So I guess if you are on vacation to the DR or anywhere else for that matter and you want to order something online so it's waiting for you when you get home, good luck.

Aug 21, 2007
Yesterday I placed an online order for some Christmas gifts. A bit later, I received an email saying there were problems with my account. I called customer service and was told that there were two problems. First, the IP address showed that I was using a computer in the Dominican Republic. They will not accept any orders placed from this country. Second, I was having my order shipped to my EPS address. They said that they will not process orders shipped to a freight forwarder.

The solution was to cancel the order, have the customer service representative rewrite it as a phone order to be sent to my U.S. address. From there, either it will be shipped again via EPS or someone will bring the gifts when they travel down here.

Actually, these business practices are to protect us from credit card fraud. For me, I am not complaining.

Lindsey

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
There are two things you can try:
1. notify your credit card company before purchasing that you are in/traveling to/living in the DR and maybe that will allow your card to be used (we do this)
2. There is a program called Anonymizer that you can download (there is a fee for this). It assigns you computer an IP address that appears that you are in the US. It works quite well and we use this as well.

Bob K

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
some companies block based on IP address, some don't. I have had orders declined by NewEgg, even some options on US Gov. websites, on the other hand no problem with Ebay, or various other. Its hit and miss.
You do have to look at it in the context that they are trying to protect whether you want them to or not. In some cases they are protecting them selves.

Some wont ship to an address that is different from the billing address. In my case informing the credit card company would not have done any good, as it was the ordering company that declined to take the order.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have routinely been denied purchases because of my IP. In a way, it's a safeguard. At least those vendors understand the amount of cc fraud coming from our island.

Best to just call them im person. Also speak with your cc company prior to a purchasing. Tell them the day and approx. amount you intend to spend.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
IP checking appears to be one of the latest thing now, along with a security verification signature(Emblem) for the seller. My last order even showed my IP address on the order confirmation.

I always call the seller and place the order by phone.
And NEVER tell them you are having it sent to a "Freight Forwarder".
Just play it cool and give them the address as if that is where you are.

One reason for "Calling" the seller is that perhaps the company is no longer in business, yet their web site is still operational.

I called one just a couple weeks ago and the phone number was no longer in service.
Sure glad I did not do the "Online Order" route.

I like to know that at least they still have an operational phone number.

Don

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Had a similar problem when trying to send paypal payments from here in the DR. They kept getting denied despite everything being in order on my end so I mistakenly wasted a ton of money calling their customer service only to have them tell me they didnt know why I was being denied and there was nothing they could do.

I somehow got an idea that it was the Dominican IP causing issues so I got my husband to log into my account from the U.S. and try to send the payments. They went thru without a hitch, so now I know for sure its my IP.

Is there a free way to mask my IP or will I just have to have someone in the states place my orders all the time?

I understand why they do it as theres so much credit card fraud occurring here but it still sucks.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Had a similar problem when trying to send paypal payments from here in the DR. They kept getting denied despite everything being in order on my end so I mistakenly wasted a ton of money calling their customer service only to have them tell me they didnt know why I was being denied and there was nothing they could do.

I somehow got an idea that it was the Dominican IP causing issues so I got my husband to log into my account from the U.S. and try to send the payments. They went thru without a hitch, so now I know for sure its my IP.

Is there a free way to mask my IP or will I just have to have someone in the states place my orders all the time?

I understand why they do it as theres so much credit card fraud occurring here but it still sucks.

Wont say it's not your problem but I use paypay on ebay all the time and for some ads on DR1, and have never had a problem with an IP in Santo Domingo?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Bienamor, Luuuuckyyyy. Thats all I can think of since somehow my hubby was able to do it just fine in one try from the u.s. and I still cant. The customer service folks did say their system is sometimes arbitrary about who it blocks and for what and that that is why they cant do anything about it. Guess I was one of the unlucky ones lol