Residence - certificate of good conduct

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hello,

End of this month I am going back with my wife and kids to Santo Domingo. I have a visa de residencia (and our children) and as soon as I am in Santo Domingo I will deposit the papers for the provisional residence.

However one of the required documents is the certificate of good conduct. According to migracion.gov.do this can be issued by the national police in santo Domingo (as well as in the information stated on this website) but I suppose this will not apply for me, while I will be just arriving from Holland.

I could get this certificate in holland, but only with a formal document from the organization that is asking for that certificate, I don't think I will be able to get that from the dominican consulate in holland.

Anybody has a clue how to deal with this certificate of good conduct?

gr.
Mauricio

May 8, 2009
good conduct cert.

I don't think the police are organized enough to know that you just stepped off the plane to get a good conduct report. I believe they just look to see if your name is in a database for any crimes committed. I'm sure the other DR posters will correct me if I am wrong.

When you go to get it, if there is a lot of people and you are going to be in SD a while, you may want to go back the next day.

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
If you don't want to wait 5 hours or more in a line, get someone "buscon" that will pick it up for you there (The office is in Av. Maximo Gomez). The buscon often knows someone there and get get it in less then 30 minutes.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
sounds good, but is it correct that I don't need to get it in Holland. It would already save me 80 euros for the form and the legalization + most probably the translation to spanish, so that would be great.

By the way, we will be living in SD, so the coming back shouldn't be a problem, but a busc?n is even better. I remember that back in 2003 I would go for most diligencias in my suit (required for my job) and people would expect me to be a laywer or something, by then there was some rule that laywers and military offcials could 'insert' themselves in front of the line after every 5 'normal' visitors. Maybe not the most correct way to go, but it worked. Does that still apply?.....

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
You need the Dominican certificate. It confirms that you have not committed crimes in the DR.

If they are organized they may very well check the interpol database.

You do not need a Dutch certificate.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Mauricio,

If you have a visa de residencia you may already be in the government database.

There are two avenues to obtain your certificate. Go to the local police having jurisdiction where you are residing or to the local fiscal.

Regards,
PJT

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Mauricio,

If you have a visa de residencia you may already be in the government database.

There are two avenues to obtain your certificate. Go to the local police having jurisdiction where you are residing or to the local fiscal.

Regards,
PJT

or go to the "Centro de Atencion al Ciudadano" in Santo Domingo. It's run by the Procuraduria General de la Republica. It's on Maximo Gomez right by the corner with Bolivar on the right going north.
It's open from 08.15 to 15.30 There is limited parking in the yard - otherwise there's the car park of the Supermercado Nacional across the street and a block or two south on Maximo Gomez. The certificate costs around RD$330 and the process, from payment at the cash window to collection of the certificate takes around 30 minutes. Sometimes there are big lines so it can take a while to get inside and up to the cash desk. The certificate is valid for 90 days from the date of issue, so don't get it too far in advance of your residency application.

This is one of the few almost painless interfaces with bureaucracy in the residency procedures.

Bryan

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Thanks all for your useful comments. In the meantime I requested the dutch version, just to be sure and have it if they insist to bring that one, I will legalize it here in Holland, but definetely will try the dominican version first, while that saves me a few hundred bucks in translating.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Most paperwork done, but running out of time

Since december 29 I am in the country. Due to all the holidays and some other stuff I could not go for my medical check earlier than January 11.

Right now I have everything ready, the cert. of good conduct was indeed supposed to be from here, and not from my country (unlike the vice consul of DR in my country told me). Only my medical results are not yet ready. Supposedly tuesday next week. However, my residence visa was granted on November 27, being valid for 60 days, which means that it is only valid until monday. Monday being a holiday I will have to deposit everything on Friday.

Is there anyone who knows if it is going to be a problem if I deposit one day to late? At the information desk of immigration they told me that this is no problem, but a person I know who works in immigration told me that I should definitely deposit before the 60 days are over.

Anyone who knows this?

Thanks!
Mauricio

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Nobody cares. You are not in Holland anymore.

That's what my wife (dominican) said when she went last week to customs for our exoneration of our household stuff that is waiting for us in the port.

The form to fill in needs to be filled in 'by maquina', I realized that the night before the appointment and was planning to take care of that the same night. She said: don't bother, we are not in Holland anymore, they will accept it with pen as well.
The next day in the appointment they told her it HAD to be 'by maquina'. And then try to find a way to fill a form by maquina, without having a typewriter and the form is uneditable PDF....:paranoid: