Stealing or borrowing the internet...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
When I arrived here, and stayed at a friend's house I was amazed at the fact that his router was not protected...

He told me that here it was unnecessary... and I believed him untill today...

When I went online this evening I saw my laptop... my camera, and two other pc's online... I gave Hilde hell for messing with our router and laptop (she had been trying to get live stream for the birth of the pups), and then I noticed that the MAC's for those 2 pc's were different...

I cheched the MAC of Hilde's laptop, and blocked the other one, and my download went down dramatically... so one of our neighbours was stealing apparently...

Conclusion... protect your router... and don't blame tu esposa... as I now have to sleep on the carpet at the foot of the bed... lol

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You are at least 500' from anybody-unless the folks in the shack 150' away have a laptop.

How far does your wireless router broadcast?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It never ceases to amaze me how many unsecured routers I encounter. It's not just a matter of people using your bandwidth either. Anyone on your local network can potentially access all of your computers and the data therein.

One should always secure their router with a password... and one that is not easily guessed either.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
How is one able to check and see if anyone else is using your router?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You are at least 500' from anybody-unless the folks in the shack 150' away have a laptop.

How far does your wireless router broadcast?
Thats doesn't matter as the tigres use super high-gain antennas to pick up your weak signal from 1 Km away. This goes on everyday in DR, especially in barrios.
AZB

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Thats doesn't matter as the tigres use super high-gain antennas to pick up your weak signal from 1 Km away. This goes on everyday in DR, especially in barrios.
AZB

Where can I get on eof these high gain antennas as well approx cost if known.

I get a poor signal in some areas of the house.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that most people have unprotected rounter because they have no clue it is possible to secure it with a password. codetel comes, installs the thing and all user knows is that they have internet now. i susspect that average computer user only utilizes basic programs. personally i no nada about IT.

stephen186

Mar 9, 2009
Thats true, i dont think i would just believe if someone says its ok to not protect the router, or that easy going attitude , i would rather be safe then sorry.

When you buy a wireless router it is not secure and its default configuration will allow unwanted users that are in the vicinity of your router to connect to the internet and “steal” your wireless router internet connection. They could also gain access to your PC and steal files and folders of data. Manufacturers leave the configuration “open” so that the user can easily set up the router and get it up and running quickly.

Accessing Your Wireless Router's Configuration.
To gain access to your wireless router settings and configuration menu then connect to the router either wirelessly or via a Ethernet cable. Open a web browser and type either:
http://192.168.1.1 or
http://192.168.2.1

Change the Admin password.
Most wireless routers ship with a blank password. It is essential that this is changed else a potential hacker could get into your router configuration and lock you out of your own hardware.

Change The Network Name (otherwise known as the SSID).
The default network name is usually made up of the name/model of your wireless router. This information gives a head start for a hacker and makes it easier for them to break into your network. Don't rename it to something like your surname or house name as this unnecessarily exposes personal information. Rename it to an alpha-numeric string - this can be up to 32 characters long.

Turn off SSID broadcasting.
By default, a wireless router's SSID is broadcast so anyone in the vicinity of your wireless router can see that it. SSID broadcasting can be turned off thus making your wireless router virtually invisible.

Enabling Encryption.
This is switched off by default. There is a choice of WEP, WPA and WPA2. Currently the latest encryption method is WPA2 so use this where possible. Both your wireless router and wireless PC adaptor must be configured to use the same encryption

Mac Address Control.
All hardware has a unique MAC address associated with it, including your PC adaptor card. This MAC address can be added to access control list in the wireless router. Only devices added to the router's access control list are allowed to be connected.

Update router firmware.
It is recommended that the latest router firmware is downloaded from the manufacturer's website and installed in the router. This will hopefully fix any bugs that have been found for your router and also help with any known security flaws in the router itself.

Backup settings.
Finally, backup all router settings. If you reset the router back to its factory default settings for whatever reason, your configuration can later be easily and quickly restored back into the router.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Go in the control panel of your 'puter, click network & internet, view network status & tasks, click full map.

You should be able to see anybody on your network.

If you have WEP incryption on your router, anybody that has access will need a password.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
the condo im staying in has no internet ..

does this thread mean that if im lucky i can 'borrow' a wireless connection from my neighbours while im visiting?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
the condo im staying in has no internet ..

does this thread mean that if im lucky i can 'borrow' a wireless connection from my neighbours while im visiting?

Yes Provided that one of the neighbors is close enough, and they have an unsecured router. :bunny:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have plenty of experience securing routers, as I have had several internetbusinesses. Reason this router was unsecured was simply, I was only using it to try and hook up a camera... and did not want to secure it untill I succeeded... and everybody who knows where I live would not expect anybody trying to break into the connection...

I just posted it, so everybody would be aware not to feel safe anywhere...

and btw... great explanations from everybody...