iPHONE 3GS OR BLACKBERRY IN THE D.R. ?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am going to Puerto Rico next week to Christmas shop.
My question is this, will an Apple iphone 3GS purchased out of the country, work in the Dominican Republic with the Verizon or Orange network? If not, will a Blackberry work? And, would I need to purchase Unlocked? Thank you for any help…..

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I wanna know if the new Droid will work over there, as it doesn't take sim cards, how good is Verizon over there?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I wanna know if the new Droid will work over there, as it doesn't take sim cards, how good is Verizon over there?

Verizon ROAMS at a mere $1.69/minute plus LD charges!
Assuming you are on vacation, you are really better off just using the FREE WIFI on the Droid for internet, turning off the phone and going with a "Pay as you go" cheapee local phone.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Verizon ROAMS at a mere $1.69/minute plus LD charges!
Assuming you are on vacation, you are really better off just using the FREE WIFI on the Droid for internet, turning off the phone and going with a "Pay as you go" cheapee local phone.

I'm moving to DR, Santiago, I need data and txt, so I just wana know if I'll be able to activate it over there, as it doesn't use SIM cards.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'm moving to DR, Santiago, I need data and txt, so I just wana know if I'll be able to activate it over there, as it doesn't use SIM cards.

You might be able to get it activated on Claro since it is CDMA 800/1900, I do not know if they still activate new numbers on CDMA. I believe there is another carrier, (Viva) that still uses CDMA?

Don't you have a two year contract with Verizon Wireless USA or did you buy the Droid without a contract?

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I have a Blackberry on Claro and it's excellent. With an annual contract, the cost of the phone is probably the same or cheaper than you'd pay elsewhere... and I don't think you can get the data plan (access the internet or receive email) without a yearly contract, so you're better off getting it here. Same for the iPhone, unless you're using the Wifi. With contracts, the phones aren't really that expensive anymore, and without the contracts, you can't use all the features they're designed for...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
No bro, Claro is a GSM network. I did what you want to do. I had a Blackberry and was with AT& T in the US and went to Claro and bought a phone for $20. I took the SIM out and put it in my Blackberry worked fine...of course my phone was unlocked.
I got a new phone last week with MetroPCS who uses the CDMA network which I think is whatr Viva uses. As a plus Viva will unlock your phone for you also.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I haven't bought the Droid yet, I guess, I'll have to wait till something new comes out of HTC, I might just get the Iphone 3GS, Claro has it for RD1995, with their unlimited plan, then I'll pull the SIM, throw it on my G1, and give my little brother the Iphone.