water tank

Stuart Polkinghorne

Nov 13, 2008
I need to find a good plumber or someone that knows a bit more than me about it... I want to know about what kind of shut off valve or other thing I can use to turn off the outlet before it is empty and not open again until the tank is full.... I don't want anything electronic..... Anyone???
Any ideas...
Well I look forward to any reply or contact info for someone that may be able to help me......

Stuart Polkinghorne

Nov 13, 2008
I'm in SD... Is it that easy... a Ball-cock.. not sure??
I want the out let to say open until a point where the tank is almost empty..
then shut off until the tank is full again...
then open to let the water out and turn off again when almost empty..
so on and so on...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it usually works the other way round -it turns off when the tank is full.Sorry Im on the north coast so I cant recommend the person I was thinking of to you, hopefully someone closer can help

May 8, 2009
maybe this can help

I am assuming your water tank is a tinaco?

Tie in a "t" off the outlet so you have 2 outlets instead of 1. Put shut off valves on each of the outlets. Plumb one outlet high and one low. Plumb the upper outlet at the desired height so as to leave a small amount of water (or the desired amount of water) in the tinaco. Plumb the lower outlet so as to drain out the tinaco completely.

When the tinaco is in normal use, have the valve for the lower outlet shut off and use the upper outlet. Then when the water runs out, you know there is only a little left. Then you can open the bottom valve and use what's left.

I'm not sure if I understood your problem or if this solves your problem, but hopefully it will help-

Stuart Polkinghorne

Nov 13, 2008
mmm not sure about that?? I need it to work automatic with out me being there... like a toilet stop float but the other way around.. not stop when full but stop when almost empty... and not letting water in but letting it out... also the outlet would be 2 to 3inch

Last edited:
May 8, 2009
Assuming the tinaco has threads on the inside of the tank, you could plumb off of it on the inside of the tank with a elbow going up and another elbow leveling off at the desired height. Then a standard float valve would do the trick..

What is the plumbing problem that you are having? What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? There may be an easier way.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
i THINK i WOULD GO OVER TO Ochoa or Americana there in Santo Domingo and see what sort of valving is available.

I do not think what you are proposing is feasible. without some really interestng plumbing.

Most of what I have seen is like a big F: the upper 'arm' is the inlet with a ball valve shutoff, and the lower 'arm' is the feed to the system with a one way valve so that it drains when there is no water. Down at the intake there is another one-way valve that keeps you from distributing to the neighborhood when the water goes off.

The folk at those two places have plenty of experience...

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Are you trying to prevent an air block, when the tinaco runs out of water? And you also have a water supply problem, meaning that you don't have a supply all the time therefore the tinaco is draining dry, and letting air into the lines?

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Try this it may be an answer. It is the principle that works maint free on old fashioned syphonic urinals. Have your water outlet come to the top of your tank and return with a slow bend to around 100mm from your tank base (like a shepherd crook). The water level will fill to the top of the pipe and then flow over forming a syphon which will continue to drain until it draws air ( the tank water level dropped to the inlet level). The water will stop flowing until it fills again. The rate of fill will determine the rate of emptying. I used this with great success to water tomatoes during vacation.

I hope this makes sence and works for you !

Regards

FM