travelling around the entire Dominican Rep

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Is it possible to travel the entire country by Caribe . I will only be there for 11 days but I would like to see as much of the landscape as possible- I have been to Samana, and the eastern side of the island ( La Romana, Higuey) but never to the North West or south. They say Pedernales and Monte Christo are places to see.
Any ideas on what I should most certainly not miss .. I know in 11 days I can;t do evereything but a taste would be good and then come back later in the year... any pointers on travel to the more rural the better as I really am interestd in seeing the real pace- I'm not one for big cities.. staying in small family run places, not the chains- mixing with the people and dancing to bachata in the small local colmados.......cheers

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Possible? Yes
Feasible? Not really.
Thing is that there ARE roads (well, they call them roads) that go all around the area you mentioned. It is possible with a good 4 x 4, a good guide and a couple of friends you could go from Pedernales to Montecristi. It would be exciting to say the least.

HOWEVER, I would suggest that yuou take a smaller bite.
Go from Santo Domingo to San Juan de la Maguana. You will go through Bani and ?zua, and see some different types of countryside...from dry scrubland to lush farm lands.
From San Juan de la Maguana you go West to Las Matas de Farfan, then North to Restauracion, Dajabon and Montecristi., Then you can go "towards" Villa Vasquez" but turn off to the left and take the paths that go along the ocean until you get to La Isabela.
Then you decide whether to cross the river or go through Guananico to Altamira and Imbert, ending up in Puerto Plata.

In 11 days, that should be fun!! You san stop and look around...and on the next trip you can do the Sto Dgo->Pedernales->Neiba->Barahona if you want...a lot lot toughter ride.

HB, just putting in a few ?,,,

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We are doing a special tour for a bunch of Danish motorcycle tour agents and travel magazine writers that will go from Jarabacoa->Samana->Jarabacoa-> Barahona via Las Salinas->Pedernales/Bahia de las Aguilas/Barahona->Lago Enriquillo->return to Jarabacoa from 12/29-1/4. A lot crammed into a week, the NE and SW.

We have 6 van seats available if anyone is interested. I could make folks wanting to come along a smokin' All-Inclusive deal...

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
you're so cool Hillbilly- thanks again and that is something I will seriously think about- any chance my mate on his motoconch can do the route- I won;t be driving in the D R?

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
sounds like a great deal Cobraboy- unfortunately I don;t arrive till 12/31 and have to spend some days with the family...... great idea though-thanks for the thought

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOT for being done on a Motoconcho....unless you are 25 and have kidney belts and really strong backs.

HB