A morning with Julia Alvarez

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Many thanks to DR1 News. I saw that Julia Alvarez would be in Centro Le?n today, reading her story of "La Vieja Ben?n"...a real Dominican Christmas story.

I picked up Luis Alfonso, the "luckiest baby in history" and we got there early, and I was able to chat with Bill and Julia for some time. As I thought, we are a lot closer than the famous 6 steps.

Her father was the brother of the woman who befriended me umpteen decades ago in Mao and who was our Matron of Honor at out wedding 45 years ago. Her Mother, a Tavarez, is from the old Santiago family of El Gallo and Ron Tavarez Etiqueta Azul fame...as well as Pastoriza, one of the most brilliant families in the DR. Husband Bill is an eye doctor, who helped train a bunch of today's better known eye guys.

The affair was held in the Spanish Patio of Centro Leon and attended by hundreds of children and dozens of adults. Especially featured were the kids from the Altagracia Foundation up in Jarabacoa, and kids from La Yag??ta de Pastor and other children's groups around Santiago. I got smart and bought 5 of the little books at the Gift Shop for my grandkids. As I thought would happen, they ran out!!

The whole thing got underway at 10:30 Dominican time (about 11:00 AST). "La Vieja Bel?n", ringing a bell, and calling for children to come around, made her entrance with a big old sack over her shoulder.

She greeted her own Vieja Bel?n (Her own Mother) and they both went up on a tiny stage. Julia gave the audience an introduction to the history of La Vieja Bel?n, a uniquely Dominican folk tale.

And then, to a very hushed audience she read the story of the typical country woman, much given to her chores ('oficios'), who receives the Three Wise Men and hears them tell of their search for the "King of the Poor". LIke any busy woman of the campo, she prepared food and beds for the Magi, and they invited her to eat with them, something campo women seldom did in their homes.

Later, all rested, the kings asked the Vieja Bel?n to join them in their search for the new baby. She saw the mess her house was in and declined, getting back to her chores. But she was distracted and made a lot of mistakes. She kept thinkng of what the the Wise Men had said.

Eventually, she took off after them, but without success. However, she kept leaving little presents at the homes of little children, just in case, and especially in the homes of the little poor children.

Folks, it was a fantastic reading, and made you think.

I met the two young volunteers from Middlebury that are taking care of the farm now. They are trying to get the eco-tourism back up and running.
It's a great deal ($40 a night with three good meals), a little rustic, but a not-to-be-forgotten experience. Eli, who hopes to get to Columbia Law next year, told me that theywill go into Jarabacoa and pick up anyone so the last leg is not so complicated. Ari, a beautiful young Hindu lady, is in charge of education up there.

I also met two young girls from UVa that are teaching at New Horizons and a guy who teaches at Santiago Christian.

Luis Alfonso, the grandson who was with me, read along with Julia and afterwards went up and gave her a kiss....He also got an autographed copy..

Great event, where once again Centro Leon is in the forefront. Great place, great people.

HB

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Vieja Bel?n = La Befana??

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day Hillbilly, thank you for letting us feel as though we enjoyed it with you and your grandson. I will have to find a copy of it for my own grandson.

I'd never heard that Dominican folktale before, and I was astounded at the similarity to Italy's La Befana story. The Befana brings children their presents in Italy. She looks like an old crone/witch and travels on a broom. Is that part of Vieja Belen's story too?

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not a one available on Ebay, but I found brand new copies on Half.com for $8.95. Thought I'd share that in case someone else out there wants a copy in the US. Can't beat that!

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Julia mentioned the possible Italian connections. She says: "Maybe Italians who moved to the Dominican Republic in the late (??) 1800s brought the story along? The story of La Befana inspired my own story of our Vieja Bel?n in the Dominican Republic.
Some Dominican scholars believe that La Vieja Bel?n originated with immigrants from the English Caribbean, known as cocolos, who came to the island to work in the cane fields. The brought their own traditions, among these the figure of an old black woman, riding a mule, remembering the poorest of the poor." *

And there is a broom featured, but not for riding but for the chores in the boh?o..

HB

* From the author's Afterward. I only questioned (??) the 'late' 1800s reference since the Vicinis and others were here by mid centrury.