Possible Move to SDQ with Kids - Questions

shehmeth

Dec 6, 2009
Hello to All,

We live in Florida, and we have two small kids (a girl who is now 6 and a boy 21 months). I'm a professor at a local university, and my husband works in the cargo industry.

There's a possibility for a move to the DR - Santo Domingo - due to my husband's work.

We've lived before in the DR, but this was before we had kids... so we have a few questions before we take the plunge, in case the opportunity materializes.

We homeschool our children, and plan to continue to do so; we would like to know if there are other homeschool families in the Santo Domingo area.

We do not homeschool for religious reasons; but rather for educational ones.

We have a great support group here in Florida from both religious and secular Homeschool Support Groups that are All-Inclusive. Through them the kids have a History Club / co-op, and Science 4H, and park days or field trips, or simply hanging out with other homeschool children.

We understand that this kind of network (field trips, park days, clubs or co-ops) might not be the case in the DR or in Santo Domingo, so we would like to know if there are homeschool families in the Santo Domingo area, that maybe get together from time to time, or just for the kids to have friends that are homeschooled as well.

Our household is fully bilingual (English and Spanish) and so is our schooling.

The kids and me, take violin classes, following the Suzuki Violin method, are there any Suzuki Violin teachers in Santo Domingo or its surroundings?

In terms of work for myself, there's no issue, I can continue to work with the university, teaching online courses as I have done in the past (I teach business courses).

Thank you so much,

Kate ;)

Nov 25, 2008
Home school families are rare and scarce, normally you will find only foreigners doing this, I had a missionary family doing this with their 3 kids but they moved to Haiti, DR1 would be the best start to find other home school friends,
good luck,

p.s. being a teacher I find it odd doing home school, do you know something about our educational system that we don't?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hello to All,

We live in Florida, and we have two small kids (a girl who is now 6 and a boy 21 months). I'm a professor at a local university, and my husband works in the cargo industry.

There's a possibility for a move to the DR - Santo Domingo - due to my husband's work.

We've lived before in the DR, but this was before we had kids... so we have a few questions before we take the plunge, in case the opportunity materializes.

We homeschool our children, and plan to continue to do so; we would like to know if there are other homeschool families in the Santo Domingo area.

We do not homeschool for religious reasons; but rather for educational ones.

We have a great support group here in Florida from both religious and secular Homeschool Support Groups that are All-Inclusive. Through them the kids have a History Club / co-op, and Science 4H, and park days or field trips, or simply hanging out with other homeschool children.

We understand that this kind of network (field trips, park days, clubs or co-ops) might not be the case in the DR or in Santo Domingo, so we would like to know if there are homeschool families in the Santo Domingo area, that maybe get together from time to time, or just for the kids to have friends that are homeschooled as well.

Our household is fully bilingual (English and Spanish) and so is our schooling.

The kids and me, take violin classes, following the Suzuki Violin method, are there any Suzuki Violin teachers in Santo Domingo or its surroundings?

In terms of work for myself, there's no issue, I can continue to work with the university, teaching online courses as I have done in the past (I teach business courses).

Thank you so much,

Kate ;)

I know there is a Suzuki Violin teacher in Jarabacoa.

shehmeth

Dec 6, 2009
Welcome to DR1! :) Can't answer your question I'm afraid but while you're waiting for someone who can, have a look at this thread
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/53267-waldorf-school.html

You might want to contact LaTeacher and gamana who both posted on that thread.
Thank you Lambada for the warm welcome...

Actually this is not my first time at DR1, I used to post long time ago to the board (same name)- back when I used to live in the DR - we're talking maybe about 6 years ago...

I've check out the thread - thanks - and will contact LaTeacher and gamana via PM . Thank you so much for pointing me to that direction...

Kate

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
CEMM is a music school in Mirador Sur in Santo Domingo.
Calle Ana Teresa Paradas, esq. Sarasota. Near the Carol Morgan School.
I'm pretty sure they use the Suzuki method but best to ask.

Tel. (809) 518-2929

shehmeth

Dec 6, 2009
CEMM is a music school in Mirador Sur in Santo Domingo.
Calle Ana Teresa Paradas, esq. Sarasota. Near the Carol Morgan School.
I'm pretty sure they use the Suzuki method but best to ask.

Tel. (809) 518-2929
Chrimoya,

Thanks... I'll give them a call and find out..

Kate

wylechile_2000

Apr 18, 2008
i also plan to move to the DR with my two boys ages 8 and 4 . i plan to homeschool them too. i am thinking of using the Calvert School system. As a homeschooled child myself i think it would be great. I know i wont find much by way of a support group but thats okay.Im an elementary teacher myself so i think i can handle it. Good luck on your move:cheeky:

shehmeth

Dec 6, 2009
i also plan to move to the DR with my two boys ages 8 and 4 . i plan to homeschool them too. i am thinking of using the Calvert School system. As a homeschooled child myself i think it would be great. I know i wont find much by way of a support group but thats okay.Im an elementary teacher myself so i think i can handle it. Good luck on your move:cheeky:
Which part of DR are you planning to move to?

Calvert School system is a good one, I've look into them in the past...

Kate