Shipping an HDTV to DR in December! Help!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
After being too slow (ronque) with Sking's specials I have now the task of buying an HDTV for my mother here in USA and ship it there, as Plaza Lama's TV's are 720p dinosaurs for top prices.

I know that 32' TV's doesn't pay any custom fees, but I believe that would be too little for what I have in mind. Does custom have some types of exception in December for bigger TV's?? If not, what was your experience shipping a 40' or bigger HDTV paying customs fees? It is worth it to ship it, or buy it locally is the way to go??

Thanks.

Last edited:

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
32" customs free?

I hadn't heard that. Can you openly bring in a new 32" TV through airport customs without any fees?

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I recently shipped a box to SDQ through Montero shipping in Miami. I visited the Montero shipping office in Miami personally and spoke with Luis, the manager, who is Dominicano. I asked him about shipping vehicles and televisions to the DR for future reference.

Luis advised me that DR customs applies duty to televisions according to screen size. In his opinion if you were to buy a regular television, it would likely be better to buy one in the DR, however if you were to buy a big expensive HD TV, it might be cheaper to buy one in the USA and ship it down.

I highly recommend Montero Shipping. They have offices in New York, New Jersey, Washington & Miami.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Doe's customs evaluate the large screen tv's by size, value, or the combination of both? Like ExtremeR said, the tv's here are dinosaurs and to get a current model with the electronic upgrades would be great. Tv's are so much cheaper in the states and they are current models. But, what about warranty work when you bring a set in.
Doe's anyone know what the custum charges are for say a 50, 52, and larger tv?

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Doe's customs evaluate the large screen tv's by size, value, or the combination of both? Like ExtremeR said, the tv's here are dinosaurs and to get a current model with the electronic upgrades would be great. Tv's are so much cheaper in the states and they are current models. But, what about warranty work when you bring a set in.
Doe's anyone know what the custum charges are for say a 50, 52, and larger tv?

Call Luis at Montero Shipping in Miami at 305-633-0205. He should be able to answer your questions.

Warranty is definitely a consideration. We just went through that with a US model 50" Panasonic flat screen on a yacht in the BVI. Had to pay for the repairs ourselves. If you bring a large flat screen into the DR from the USA and it breaks down, you may possibly have to pay for the repairs......

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Call Luis at Montero Shipping in Miami at 305-633-0205. He should be able to answer your questions.

Warranty is definitely a consideration. We just went through that with a US model 50" Panasonic flat screen on a yacht in the BVI. Had to pay for the repairs ourselves. If you bring a large flat screen into the DR from the USA and it breaks down, you may possibly have to pay for the repairs......

if you find out the exact prices to import these tvs,please post them here if possible...we all would like to know...
bob

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
if you find out the exact prices to import these tvs,please post them here if possible...we all would like to know...
bob

I just phoned Montero shipping. Luis is going to return my call. If he gives me prices, I will post.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We just did this

We shipped a 40" HDTV from Canada. It should have arrived today.
My hubby is in Punta Cana and I am in Canada, so I'll find out from him
when he receives it and pass on the information.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Called Luis from Monterey shipping 4 times throughout the day. The girl remembered me and each time promissed he would return my call. As of this evening ,no return call.
Will try again tomorrow.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks everyone for your replies, looking forward to hear from both of you waytogo and robbie.

Jan 5, 2006
The going rate to ship a 40" HDTV door to door from the NYC area to DR is $400-$500USD, depending on which company you use. That includes all import duties.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thanks everyone for your replies, looking forward to hear from both of you waytogo and robbie.

Placed my 5th call to Monterey Shipping today.....Still waiting for luis to return my call. He seems to be out whatever time I call. I am starting to wonder why everyone speaks so highly of him when you can't even talk to him.

4 yesterday
1 today...so far

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Ok, Called again and talked to Luis at Monterey. This is the lowdown. To start, Luis told me that a big scam that the Retail stores do here in the D.R. is that they will sell refurbished tv's as new because there are no government regulations to tell them to disclose that they are refurbished. The crap never ends.....
These %'s are added on to a tv being shipped from Miami to Santo Domingo.
1. 20%.... regular duty charge
2. 16% Itbs...normal sales tax
3. 27%.... Luxury tax
A total of 63% added on by the D.R. government
Luis told me that even if you receive the tv at an excellent sales price, customs here goes by the value of that name and model on there computer. So, doubley screwed.
I don't know how Luis broke this down, but he stated that the normal total charge, shipping and all taxes for a typical......
47" lcd big screen is $1000. US Delivered to your door
52" lcd big screen is $1300. US " " " "
I am at a loss, whoever thought that buying a tv could be such a monsterous task.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
After talking to Luis and being told that refurbished tv's are sold here (everywhere) as new, is there any way you can demand this info from the retail store and get it in writing that it is new and not refurbished. And if you find out after the fact and find out it is in fact refurbished, would there be any recourse available?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
All in all I still think it's worth it sending from NY/Miami and not buying down there. At least you know you will be getting a brand spanking new TV (no matter the cost).

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
TV arrived

The tv duty and taxes is 13000 pesos. This was still worth it. We shipped it Air Canada Cargo for $200.00.
Hope that helps:)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
For my calculations, and figuring exact percentages, I would need to know what you paid for the 40 in.tv....I am courious to see if Luis from Monterey was accurate on his figures I posted earlier.

all is lost

Nov 18, 2006
I have a 42" flat tv in the pipeline, door to door from ny $600, but i got a $300 reduction because they damaged beyond repair a 37" tube set i had sent. There was no way that they would pay for the damaged set.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Everything considered, I think the best waytogo is purchase one here. Worrying about damage in shipping, worrying about customs, not having a warranty of any kind, is the savings really worth it. Today, I purchased a 47 in. Scarlet LG from Plaza Lama in Santiago. Beautiful picture with 2 years parts and labor and 3 years screen. Even if I would have saved 700-800 dollars, the warranty made up the difference. All the other models are 1 year on everything. I told them to call me before the tv is put on the truck. I want the serial number to make sure it is not refurbished. I even had them write on the receipt that it was in fact a new not refurbished set.

Reactions: mountainannie