Where to go for Lobster tail dinner in Santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am taking my girlfriend out for New Years Eve and looking for advise where we can get the best lobster tail (not the whole lobster)dinner in Santiago.
Doesn't have to be real fancy...just great food. Thank you

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am taking my girlfriend out for New Years Eve and looking for advise where we can get the best lobster tail (not the whole lobster)dinner in Santiago.
Doesn't have to be real fancy...just great food. Thank you
Pez Dorado? I'd be most surprised if they didn't have lobster tail on their menu.

It'll cost though. I've seen big lobster tails in stores (Nacional, La Sirena) for BIG bucks...like over $RD1200 for one large tail.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Pez Dorado? I'd be most surprised if they didn't have lobster tail on their menu.

It'll cost though. I've seen big lobster tails in stores (Nacional, La Sirena) for BIG bucks...like over $RD1200 for one large tail.

Even in the states, to buy a 1 pd lobster tail at Red Lobster would probably cost upwards of $40.00 US. My girlfriend has never had lobster so I am hoping it will be a treat for her. Hopefully she won't go yuch......

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Have never bought here since my wife doesn't like it probably never will for such prices. I've been spoiled in Panama with $4,-/lbs

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Try "La Bahia" restaurants - they are no longer affiliated but have great food. There is one near the ferreteria Ochoa on Ave 27 de Febrero on the right hand side heading North right after the cementary. Turn right when you see the ferreteria across the street on the left and ask the locals from there. It is about a block. The prices are reasonable and it is an open air restarant with a thatched roof.

The other one is located right off La Metropolitana adjacent to the park on same near HB's house. Prices are higher but they have ac.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have never eaten at La Bahia but I hear its good, and not overpriced.

Pez Dorado is a safe bet as one of the best and oldest restaurants in town. Not a great place to go on a budget though.

If you want to make a slight trade for a more trendy atmosphere, slightly higher prices and slightly lower quality of cooking, Paparazzo is good.

Those are the only places I can think of that are sure to have lobster.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Even in the states, to buy a 1 pd lobster tail at Red Lobster would probably cost upwards of $40.00 US. My girlfriend has never had lobster so I am hoping it will be a treat for her. Hopefully she won't go yuch......

I hear guys say that whenever they take out a Dominican girl she always wants to order the expensive stuff on menu, like fish shrimp and lobster!!!!!!!

so i'm sure she'll be happy. ;)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I hear guys say that whenever they take out a Dominican girl she always wants to order the expensive stuff on menu, like fish shrimp and lobster!!!!!!!

so i'm sure she'll be happy. ;)

Luckily my girlfriend isn't like that. I have been with her for 1 1/2 years and she never asks for anything. I guess I buy her enough on my own to spoil her. Actually, I'm the one who needs the lobster fix.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Hey man, what about Marisco Center on Av Francia? Its in the name, who knows? But I d be concerned about one thing though...no 2 things. Is it fresh? Like fresh out of the ocean not fresh out of some freezer because it was killed 2 years ago AND do they know how to cook it? Bro, you see how they overcook steak(even if you order it rare) so what prey tell will they do to a lobster? Look carefully it might have Michelin stamped on it somewhere.
Good luck to you though, I took a woman to Kukara Macara and orderd the surf and turf for her on her birthday. She didnt know how to eat the shrimp...cutting it with a fork and knife.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You have read my mind. Will they know how to prepare it. The Marisco Center is one minute from my house and I have eaten there. We both had some kind of fish and for some reason, every restraunt I go to even for a steak, they have to put some lousy cream sauce on it. Everybody back home puts down the Red Lobster but they always prepared a fish dinner and lobster to perfection. I am thinking about whatever place I take her, order 1 and if it is good, order another. As far as your date cutting the shrimp with a fork and knife, she was probably trying to look respectable for you. When my girlfriend eats, GET OUT OF HER WAY....you would swear she hadn't eaten in a week. The whole dinner is vacumed up in less than 2 minutes. She looks like a gopher with her mouth full of nuts. I was trying to find someone who actually ate lobster tail at a restraunt and could recommend it on there own personnal experience.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will be fine at Pez Dorado. they can generally be counted on to do good lobster.
Also the Bah?a is a good place.

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." ....

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Whatever you do don't eat at Mariscos Centro, it's for tourists. That's why they don't care if you come back. It's like a Red Lobster only the seafood comes from farther away and is colder and more expensive - that won't keep your waiter for eying you for a big tip though.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Whatever you do don't eat at Mariscos Centro, it's for tourists. That's why they don't care if you come back. It's like a Red Lobster only the seafood comes from farther away and is colder and more expensive - that won't keep your waiter for eying you for a big tip though.

I live right around the corner from them and the last time I was there was 2 years ago. Wasn't happy then so I never went back. I won't return to any establishment if it wasn't good the first time. There were a couple places that were mentioned including Pez Dorado. I ate there and it was quite good. Didn't have lobster though. You would think living on an island that you could get fresh catch. But I guess these waters are to warm for lobster.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
But I guess these waters are to warm for lobster.

Sorry to hear that you didn't find lobster. The caribbean lobster (no claws) is easy to find here though generally. I must have ate about 10 on my recent trip to Haiti. And I thought I could never get sick of lobster. :)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I must have ate about 10 on my recent trip to Haiti. And I thought I could never get sick of lobster. :)

Sick of lobster.........Because you ate so much or you really got sick. I see the word of so I assume you ate till you bust. Was it that good?
I am currently cooking my second favorite for dinner.....roast duck with orange sauce. When I die, they will never be able to drain the blood from my body, It will be sludge.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sick of lobster.........Because you ate so much or you really got sick. I see the word of so I assume you ate till you bust. Was it that good?
I am currently cooking my second favorite for dinner.....roast duck with orange sauce. When I die, they will never be able to drain the blood from my body, It will be sludge.

I didn't get sick only I was tired of eating lobster for bfast lunch and dinner for 3 days straight. It was good the first two days though. My client served it up at the property we were doing the survey for.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Not a lot of meat on a duck. Mucho grasa though. I ll have to write my congressman and rectify that situation.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It was so goooood. If you prepare it right and cook it at 450 degrees for the first 30 minutes, most of the grease drains through the small holes you puncture through the skin. It was 5 lbs and perfect for 3 people. 6 months ago I was 170, now 200.....Now I know what the duck felt like when he waddled........Go figure